closing the distance.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

closing the distance.

Post by Coyotehunter »

I shot a coyote yesterday. closed the distance from 400 to 100 yards just by working the dogs out in front of me. The rancher watched the whole thing. From the time we left the truck until we got back it was two and a half hours. Big adult male. located him with the siren then moved up and tried to get him to go again. No rresponse the second time but I had a good idea where he was. We circled around down wind and got set up in a little saddle. I had planned on making at least 2 stands. I was not sure I could get him to move up to the first set up but I was also not positive where he was at either. So instead of moving up to far and getting busted I thought that was a good place to start. He finallypopped over the ridge right where I had planned on making my second stand. He came up within 30 yards of a half dozen Antelope Does. They milled around him but he just started along the top of the ridge towards an outcropping of rocks. He did not give the Does any attention at all. Barely seemed to notice there precense. He was watching my dogs but did not seem to want to come any closer. I clicked him off with my Leupold Range Finder and came up with 377 yards. Well within the range of my .22-6mm Shilen Match Grade barrel but not a layup. I had a slight right to left breeze of about 5 mph and the sun to my back. The rancher and his hired hand where off to my left. If Wiley decided to make a go of it and come down wind through the ravine, he was going to run right into a sheep ranchers .25-06.

Wiley didn't budge for 40 minutes. occasionaly he would get up and get a better view of the dogs but no forward progress. It was getting hot, mid 80'S and the dogs where about done. I could tell the coyote was not comfortable laying on top of those rocks baking in the sun. There was no shade up there at all.

I finally decided to try and give myself a better shot. I gave the dogs a couple quick whistles and got them moving in front of me and headed out straight towards the coyote. Keeping low and the dogs right with me, 20 minutes later I was within 100 yards of him. He did get up and move twice but he ended up giving me a better shot than if he had stayed put. The whole stalk I spent talking with the dogs and keeping them close to me. The coyote was so focused on the dogs that he did not even seem to notice me in my Desert Shadow Camo. Wiley had gotten himself in a spot where he thought he was hiding behind a Grease Wood and was only poking his head out to watch the dogs approach. At a 100 yards I had to move to get an angle on the him from behind his hiding spot. I got set up prone with my Harris bipod and waited for him to move enough to get more than just a chest shot. Bear my Airedale dropped out of site below me and the coyote moved again to keep an eye on him. He moved just enough to give me the shot I was waiting for, quartering towards me I stuck a 69 gr. BTHP Sierra right behind his left shoulder. He hit the ground hard and never moved again.

I walked up the short rise to Wiley and turned around to see the rancher coming up the ravine pumping his fist in the air. He got to see the whole thing unfold in front of him. From the first howl on my Song Dog to the solid thud of impact was about an hour and 45 minutes. One more sheep killer anchored.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Awesome and exciting story Jamie. Sounds like a good time. You should call me or pm me sometime I plan on taking a week or more off this year to spend in WY so if possiblle we should try to get together even if its for just a day. Well stay cool man and keep on livin the good life 8)
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Awesome story. Thanks Jamie!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Sounds like fun!! I can't wait till fall
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I had a big male come in and fight my Terrier last night, 50 yards in front of me. He came in hot and started screaming at the dogs. The Airedale ran over to say hi and the dog just went for the throat. All he got was a mouth full of Tritronics. The coyote had the collar in his mouth and they were both on there hind legs fighting like a couple of horses. He ended up getting himself shot at about 75 yards.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY sounds like a good time!!!! :D
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Jamie-

you see alot of interesting stuff!! The stories you could probably tell
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am lov'n life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Jamie, Sometimes with the dogs , if you call them back and put them out of sight of the coyote, he will come looking to see where the dogs went. You probably already know that though.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, that is a good point Jerry. If you have a partner on stand you can have one of you pick the dogs up and head out. Leave one guy back and keep calling. You are right though that does work at times.