First Coyote!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rodeorulz
coyotehunter

First Coyote!

Post by rodeorulz »

Well guys it finally happened! I went out with my husband Sunday morning to do his coyote work and we had a little "chat" before we sat down to call in some coyotes :) We had already located and found a good spot to sit down and call them in. We had for sure heard adults as well as pups so we were pretty excited to go in further to call them! So we packed our gear and the dog in with us for a long but pretty easy walk (thank God!)...as most of you know I am pregnant so the less of a hike the better for me! We got set up and began calling...we kept scanning both draws as did the dog. Finally, after what seemed like forever, we had a coyote coming out from the timber straight to me. I was anxious, of course, but we had found where 300, 200, and 100 yards was from me so I knew I needed to be patient. We had decided I should wait until the coyote was at least 200 yards from me before I took a shot. So she sat down for a minute and then we turned the caller on again and here she comes! She was standing broad-sided for me so logically I took the shot...I was thinking surely she had came in to 200 yards at that point. Well I dropped her right there...I saw her tail fly up in the air :) She had flopped just out of site from where I was shooting from, behind tall grass. So we waited for a while thinking maybe the other(s) didn't get spooked. No such luck though. During this whole time the darn dog had his eyes watching the other draw so he didn't even see her the whole time! Probably best since the last thing I needed was to be shooting around him! So we walked down and found her...she actually didn't come in quite as far as I though she did. She had only came in to about 250 yards when I shot her!! Oops! But I shot here right where I was aiming so we were happy. Unfortunately, this was the dry b*tch that must have been the "babysitter"...so in we went to find the parents and den/pups. We went in and found a good spot in the timber and called, but no such luck there either, even with our dog out sniffing around. I'm sure they were watching from safety doing the "how stupid do you think we are??"!! So we gave up after a while and then came the footwork...we knew there was a den there somewhere very close so we hiked up and down a few draws in the timber looking for some kind of sign around the den. At one point my husband actually saw one of the coyotes run in front of him through the trees about 50 yards or so. Sneaky little devils they are. Of course that one "magically" disappeared so we kept hiking and shortly thereafter found the den! My husband blocked the hole and off we went to get the truck and his supplies to gas the den :) and of course to set some traps for the parents! When we got back he found that there were 3 pups in there probably around 6-8 weeks old. Set some traps and now just waiting to see if we caught the parents or not :D It was quite a day after that though with the heat!! It was in the 80's and only a very slight breeze so we got a little overheated and ran out of liquids by the time we were done...oops!! Anyways enough of my story telling...It sure was fun though...now we'll have to see if he'll let me shoot some more!!!
First coyote!
First coyote!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: First Coyote!

Post by lyonch »

Congratulations!!! A kid on the way and you are shooting coyotes...........Life doesn't get much better than that 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

My hats off to you!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

congrats on the first. great story. what gun were you shooting??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

NICE!!!!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Thanks guys! It is so nice to finally have shot my first coyote!! Can't wait to do it again!!
bucks- I was shooting my Savage .243
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Good job! Congrats
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Thats Awesome.....Thanks for sharing!!
Coyotes Forever