Summer locating....

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

Summer locating....

Post by Optimax90 »

Ok, took a little drive this weekend and did alittle howling in some new area. Heard some coyotes and marked the spots on my GPS. I think we could hear pups yelping along with the adults, kinda off in the distance a ways... If I can locate dens in the summer time, how long will those pups/adults hang in that area??? And I know that once they get regular pressure from hunting they leave. But if they have a den in a area and don't get messed with, will they kinda call it home turff??? Can a guy go in that area in september - october and clean up???
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Summer locating....

Post by lyonch »

I would think if they aren't bothered, that you should be able to go in there around the month of October and clean house.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

So do you think, or know for a fact that a breeding pair of coyotes use the same area and or den the next year??? Know of a guy just east of Bis that had a den within 500yrds of his back deck and watched the pups grow up all summer. And they are there again this year, or at least a pair of coyotes are there, same ones or not.....
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

When it comes to facts about denning, i would wait until one of the ADC guys answer. In my opinion, they do and will use the same dens year after year. If you shoot the adults off of the den; you might have a pair back next year at that den and you might not. I think a lot of this has to do with the coyote densities if they use the same dens or will seek out a different one. In MN i hear a lot of guys talk about the bitch moving pups often because there is so much human interaction with them in my area.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I suppose its just like most of coyote hunting, no for sure answer.... I know that certain areas hold coyotes year after year in the early fall. I would imagin that they use the same "area" to den up in. Plus i think we have more out of the way spots in ND that people don't mess with them...

I know its only mid june but im really starting to get that tingling again and can't wait to get back out there.... And I better hurry before bucs kills every damn thing in the country :)
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

don't worry bout me Opti :lol: :lol: . i left friday morning for a quick hunt and met up with Tbush. hunted fri and 1/2 saturday and did'nt kill a thing. called in quite a few but very few would commit. T and i each had 1 decent shot each and we both missed. never did find a den but we did'nt get back far enough to really try either. had no responces to loacating we found a few spots that we assumed had a pair/den but i think we tried calling them from to far away. plus all the water really screwed a few stands up.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[Optimax90*]
Is there water close by to the den area?? If so then they will proably stay, if not then the female may move the pups closer to water when they can move around better... The coyotes here stay with-in a 3x5 mile area (terr), size can very due to amount of food source,and willbe there come fall if anything changes its there core area but terr. stays the same. If the breeding pr. is killed one of the pups from a previous litter will take over the old den as long as they are'nt pushed out of the area by other coyotes, or killed themselves... Some of the denning areas become fill-in areas here, the pr. canbe killed and another coyote from the group will move in and so on..

[i left friday morning for a quick hunt and met up with Tbush. hunted fri and 1/2 saturday and did'nt kill a thing. called in quite a few but very few would commit*]
Throw that F-P away and get a good caller... :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey Tim, you must not read a paper or watch tv much, there is water EVERYWHERE around here :lol: :lol:

No, I get what your saying and yaaa there is all three prime needs close by the the coyotes I located (water, cover from people, and groceries) Thats one of the main things I look for in a "go to area" when im scouting for future spots....

Need a new barrel on my .22-250AI and I will be ready to go get after them, maybe thats why I have been holding off this long... The sooner I do it the sooner Im going to be craving a stand or two!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tim Anderson wrote:[ Throw that F-P away and get a good caller... :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:
hell no Tim. i just got my thingy built for it so i can wear it on my head LOL :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Thats frickin funny!!!! :lol: :lol:
bucksnbears wrote:
Tim Anderson wrote:[ Throw that F-P away and get a good caller... :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:
hell no Tim. i just got my thingy built for it so i can wear it on my head LOL :mrgreen:
Bucs you'll never get through the fence with that thing on your head!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thats the new in thingy for F-P users, they call it the bucket head.. :mrgreen: