Which round 7.62x39 or .223

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bamahunter
coyotehunter

Which round 7.62x39 or .223

Post by bamahunter »

Jus't getting started coyote hunting this fall. I live in north Alabama and we have a good supply here. I am trying to decide which of my two rifles to set up or maybe even both. I have a Ruger M77 chambered in 7.62x39 that I really like to shoot. It is fairly accurate out to about 200 to 250 yds, ammo is very reasonable. I also have a AR-15 I just purchased this summer and have not scoped it yet. Most of my shots where I will be hunting will be under 250 yds. Would like to have your opinions on the 7.62 round for coyote's. Should have great knock down power at the range I will be shooting. Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: Which round 7.62x39 or .223

Post by xdeano »

the 7.62x39 is slow... I'd go with the 223. I've shot a couple of coyotes with the 30 cal round and they work very well. They'll both work, just flip a coin. Just depends on how fast you want them dead. ;)

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

They darn sure both have there high points. To minimize damage though I would have to go with the .223.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

My experience with the 7.62 x 39 is limited to SKS and AK rifles, but I've found that it doesn't hold it's accuracy at longer ranges, perhaps it's the rifle's I've used. I have a soft spot for AR patterned rifles too, but that's the weapon I've used more than any other so my vote goes to the .223. I'd say the best is which ever you're more comfortable with, unless you're concerned with tissue/fur damage.
Keep your powder dry.