First hunt in Colorado

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Gary
coyotehunter

First hunt in Colorado

Post by Gary »

So I went hunting coyotes for the first time in Colorado today. I went up ontop of the Grand Mesa in western Colorado around 9-10,000 feet or so. There was a little snow in the shady places and some recent looking coyote and even some cat (cougar?) tracks around. I set up into the wind and tried calling with the rabbit distress call first on my electric call. Nothing. Next stand I tried Jack rabbit distress, still nothing. However this time there were fresh tracks circling where I set up that I saw on my way out. I never saw them but they must have seen me or smelled me. I tried a couple of more places but never saw a thing.
It was fun and I know they are still up there somewhere.
I'm wondering though if the coyotes will respond to a jackrabbit call if there aren't jack rabbits there? So much to learn, I need to read more.
Does anyone know if the elk scent I use in bow season will help now or scare the coyotes away?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: First hunt in Colorado

Post by Coyotehunter »

Why are you hunting at such a high elevation? Jackrabbit distress will work fine anywhere. leave the cover up spray at home.
Coyotes Forever
Gary
coyotehunter

Post by Gary »

I was hunting there because I saw lots of sign during bow season and wanted to give it a shot before the big snow comes. Next weekend I'll try lower around 5-6000 ft.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would hunt the foot hills. should try to do some locating in the morning hours before sunrise.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The Grand mesa is a good place to call coyotes but you would most likely have better luck at a little lower elavation like coyote hunter mentioned.. Rifleton or East of Grand-junctioning would be a place to start. Been awhile since I was there but had good luck around Grand junction and even south by Durango, silverton area..
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

I killed the shit out of the coyotes east of Trinidad when i was in school there