Any Savage shooter outhere?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

yow25

Any Savage shooter outhere?

Post by yow25 »

I have a savage 223 model 11 package deal that has served well. However I think it's time to look for a new weapon. This will be a yote and p-dog gun. Would like to try my hand at 500 yrds. What do you guys use or what would you recommend?
DustyC

Re: Any Savage shooter outhere?

Post by DustyC »

Theres a lot of old posts on everyones favorite gun and caliber. I will just say that I would shoot a 22-250 0r 243. I like the CZ's really well. My favorite would have to be a custom built on a Rem 700 action.
"God hates a coward"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I heard Savages cause chlamydia.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

FYI, it's Rugers that cause chlamydia. Savages just make my eyes burn, but I'm told they have the power to turn lesser men to stone,LOL. Seriously though, Savage is good to go.Get a stock that has some strength in the forend. Some don't. A 243 would be the easiest way to get to five bills unless you twist the 22-250 steep.

lead
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

I've got Savage rifles in both a 22-250 and a 243. Both are good guns. If I had to go out and get 1 rifle to take the place of both it would be a model 16, weather warrior series with the accustock. NO heavy barrel. Either caliber would work but I'm partial to the .243 since I've had one since I was like 13. The 250 is close but its just not as versatile.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

agree with KFlan, 16 weather warrior in a .243
i have and shoot savages and it burns when i pee :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Live Oak

Post by Live Oak »

I can hit a 7.5 x 13.5" AR500 human sillouette target plate out the back door about 440 yards by my range finder pretty regular with my daughter's Savage Model 12 VLP .223 (it has the 9" twist barrel)

My Savage Model 12 VLP-DBM 22-250 has even less trouble hitting the same target plate. (it also has the 9" twist barrel)

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.com/s ... hp?t=12887

Although both of these rifles will shoot farther ranges accurately with a bullet more suited like the Hornady 75 grain Amax, 400 yards is the max. range for most folks using a typical non-tactical type scope in my opinion as elevation and windage really becomes an issue at this range and beyond for a light bullet.

For ranges beyond 400 meters, I am currently working on finishing up a Savage Model 12 VLP-DBM in 300 WSM (10" twist barrel). I have gotten side tracked with the holidays and my beekeeping and have not re-zero'd the rifle yet. The first scope (Millet LRS-1) I mounted had a defective windage adjustment and I had to replace the scope. I have it all back together but have not zero'd it yet.

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.com/s ... hp?t=14228

Once I get it zero'd I will post my observations.

I think you will do just fine with a Savage. For the dollar spent, they are among the most accurate and well built out of the box rifles in my opinion.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

When I started shooting Savage I stopped seeing coyotes. I know there intelligent but come on!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I shoot a Savage .22-250 and it's a GREAT gun. Pretty accurate 8)
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
coyotelatrans