Whats your furtherest kill on coyote

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

peanut8474
coyotehunter

Whats your furtherest kill on coyote

Post by peanut8474 »

Mine was 357 yards running straight away from me . It was a lucky shot, but I got him so it counts. I also got one at 250 yards at night
243yote
coyotehunter

Re: Whats your furtherest kill on coyote

Post by 243yote »

just over 200 for me but where i live in missouri there isn't many places where i hunt that i get a shot much farther than that. i did explode a crow with my .280 at 275 one time if that counts for anything.
peanut8474
coyotehunter

Post by peanut8474 »

I live in southern illinois and most places I hunt, you dont shoot much over 200 yards either . I sight my AR 15 an inch over at 100 yards so i can just put it dead center and have always been on target up to 250 yards and anything longer I raise some depending on the distance but like I said there usually arent many shots further. The 357 yard shot with him running, i put it about a foot over his head and a foot in front of him and hit him in the ass and dropped him and walked up to about 200 yards and finished him off
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I got a bunch of coyotes in that 450 to 500 yard range. jackrabbits out to 850-900 mark. prairie dog 647.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Coyotes from 100 yds out to 600 yds. and a redfox at 767 yds..
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I've gotten em passed 700 (and missed em from further :mrgreen: ).

The shot I'm proudest of though was a 470 yard runner. My buddy thought I was gods gift to shooting and I even managed to play it off as "ho hum, all in a days work" for about half an hour. Of course, had I not been wearing a facemask he'd have seen my jaw hit the ground too! :D
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Just over 300 has been my longest on a coyote
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Lazered at just a bit over 500. A yearling sitting down across a frozen slough head on. Wind was quartering in and running about 10mph. 22-250AI with a 75g amax. I did not enjoy the chest deep snow in the cattails. Especially since the scrawny little fart I was hunting with was able to walk on top of it without sinking in. I've only had one chance to take a shot longer than that, but chose not to because I was a guest in one of someone elses spots.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

don't know the range of my farthest but i do know some have been over 500. i know the feeling BBJ about feeling like God sometimes. been with several people over the years when i've taken a hail mary at WAY OUT THERE and connected. sometimes even on the run :mrgreen: . however, i've got lead spread out all over my counties from LOTS of misses.
shot a red fox at exactaly the 1/2 mile mark once :shock:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

A few in the 350-450 range withn the furthest being 478 with my 22-6mm Ack. Drew blood on one at 611 but never could find the coyote.
"God hates a coward"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I picked one up 2 years ago at 702yds with the GAP 308 with a 155g Lapua. He was either educated or at a boundary line and didn't want anything to do with me. He ended up sitting on his ass with is body just quartering, staring in my direction. There was about a 15mph wind from directly behind him pushing towards me. So I ranged, dialed and waited for him to look in a different direction before I pulled the trigger, it ended up hitting him high shoulder, neck area. DRT.

But my furthest was with my Rem 700P in 308 using the 155g Lapua. It was south of mandan, nd at 753yds. Ranged, dialed and pulled the trigger. This one actually punched her further back in the chest, she ended up running about a hundred yards or so before expiring.

I just haven't had anything longer than that up here, due to all the damn trees and shelterbelts. I do pick up a several in that 4-600yd range every year. I typically don't try and shoot coyotes at any great distance if I don't have to, just because I know I can come around on them, or wait another day and kill them. I like killing 100% of coyotes that I shoot at, it's just a mental thing. It gives a guy more confidence in his equipment.

I know several guys that have killed coyotes at a lot further. 1100+ yds. But they have much better rangefinders than I do. ;) I'm extremely lucky to pick up a coyote at 800yds with mine, they're small when they get out that far.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

These stories make for a tough act to follow, but my best shot on a coyote was 415-420 yards with my Savage .22-250.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Jake
coyotehunter

Post by Jake »

Most of the Shots taken down a hill with side wind or towards me and long range is not there 250yrds is the furtherst kill on a yote...
It is, What it is.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

My longest was ranged from the dead coyote back to the tree I was sitting at at 438yds with my 22-250. Otherwise, all others have been less that 325 or so and I have missed LOTS out farther. Hit and lost a 400 yard coyote just a few weeks ago. Still feel crappy about it.

Jaybic
BigN
coyotehunter

Post by BigN »

52 yards.