New dog starting to work

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

New dog starting to work

Post by EO caller »

So my little female cur is almost 6 months old. She is sort of starting to get it. She is starting to bark a little at coyotes and bobcats that are caught. The other day I had heard about a dead cow in a spot were I was checking cat sets so I took my rifle on my fourwheeler with me. I see a (pegged) coyote running away from the cow and going around a little nob. I drove up onto the nob and bailed off. I ran around the other side and saw the coyote but he didn't see me. UNTIL Dee saw him and let out a bark. The coyote stopped and looked at us. I wasn't ready to shoot. The coyote took off hauling ass. I kneeled down to shoot and Dee jumped on my shoulder and licked my ear. Kind of distracting. I knocked her down but the coyote went under the hill. I took off running again and came to a little bluff and looked over it and saw the coyote running downhill quatering away about 125 yds so I put it on the tip of his nose and let him have it. WHOP. Rolled him. Went down wind of him till Dee lit up and started barking and then we walked to him. Lot of rewards. She's having to learn on her own, and I don't know what I'm doing either but I think we are making head way.
010712112303_crop.jpg
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: New dog starting to work

Post by lyonch »

Awesome!! I think the dog will be leading the blind :lol: :lol: JK fella great post!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Probly no joke. She is smart. See the bracelet on the front right of that coyote?
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

now that you pointed it out i do! Foot snared and chewed out? That was an educated nightmare you diposed of! Great work!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!