Sodak

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

Re: Sodak

Post by jaybic »

Tim, Yeah, I do hunt here in Olmsted and Filmore counties which, as I understand it, does have some of the highest populations of coyotes in the state and its pathetic. A big farm around here is 160 acres(there are a few whoppers with 2000+....laughable by ND standards) but otherwise, every rich sob that works at Mayo or IBM has to have their little 20 acres so to get enough land for a single days hunt, ya gotta go ask 40 different people it seems. Combine that with huge woods(very hard to see a coyote in or to get him out of) and 31.5 million truck hunters with ARs hanging out the windows and....yeah, you get it right?

Which is why I go to ND for the last 10 years running( and I knocked on a hell of a lot of doors and spent ridiculous money to have the spots that I have there now so nothing was "given to me". I have met up with nothing but cool folks and great memories. This is my first SD trip(about 8+hours driving time and what you suggested people do is exactly what my intentions are/were. I am driving blindly out to SD on a Sunday and gonna start howling off the road, glassing, and knocking on doors which is how I do it. All I asked for here was a direction and the rest of the work IS up to me. I said in my initial post that I was not asking for honey holes. I guess what I was really, honestly asking and I should have phrased it better is "where should I not go?" meaning getting away from heavily pressured areas, mange...ect. Hell, I dont know? is it safe to go up on the res??? I have heard all sorts of things, good and bad and If coming on here asking for advice is not cool, why is the site here at all.

Anyway, sorry to rant but yes, I was po'd because I hunt just as hard as anyone else does at this and I dont live right in the middle of it so I do what I can to make sure I have a good time and hopefully a little luck when I can get away. And honest to god and dead serious, If you ever decide you want to take an honest to god stab at hunting the most heavily coyote populated area of MN, I will put you up, feed you, get drunk with you, borrow you a gun and personally take you to every spot I know and if we are really lucky and the conditions are decent, we do have a chance of killing a coyote, perhaps even 2. Do keep in mind tho, that it is also kinda like hunting polar bears in Hawaii most of the time but like I said, and I am not kidding, you let me know. Hell, could be fun!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For your area I was thinking more on the lines of Houston county haveing the most coyotes...
As for S.D like I mentioned before it has coyotes all over you just have to look around for the sweet spots I know of some good areas but one of the members here lives around one of the areas so I don't give out what location this is, it would be up to him.
The Res. gets hit pretty hard with 3 contests that I know of and perhaps a few more so it helps if you know the area and where to look to have any success.. The area Jerry mentioned to you has alot of coyotes, but you have to have permission to get access to these coyotes and most of the ranchers in that area either don't allow coyote hunting or only to trible members if they do allow it.. There are a couple of ranches you could get on if your happy with one or two coyotes, but also keep in mind if they allow you access they are also allowing access to others so its a coin toss weither or not you will see any coyotes...It also helps if you have a WT as most of the guys I know that hunt there use either hand calls or F-P...LOL
Some of the ranches I hunt on get hunted by others but mostly when a contest is going on which is good for me as most of them have to deal with shitty weather so there is a chance there willbe a few left for me..
Alot of the ranchers there also have jobs in town or they go to town for the day all week long so its pretty difficult to also get ahold of them for permission..

And thanks for the invite, perhaps I'll take you up on it sometime in the near future...
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

jaybic - I had a friend mention to me that there are a lot of coyotes running around where she is. I believe that is the Chamberlain/Reliance area. You may want to try knocking on doors in that area too? Just a thought...
Me though...I'm sticking with my NW SD :D

GOOD LUCK! I hope your trip is successful!