Sodak

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

Sodak

Post by jaybic »

Hey fellas,
since school got in the way of making any of the tournaments, Im gonna take what I can get and do a little 5 day trip to South Dakota(first time calling in SD) and wondered if anyone might point me in a direction. I am thinking about starting around the Presho area and out towards Wall and Rapid city. I know the Ft Pierre Natl grasslands and the Buffalo Gap Natl grasslands are out that way so I figured it might be a place to start. Not at all asking anyone to give up any honey holes but just thought maybe some of you fellas that have hunted or live out there might be able to point my dumb ass in a direction where I might have some luck. I really appreciate any ideas at all having never been out that way calling before. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Take it easy,

Jaybic
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Sodak

Post by Dcoy »

Jaybic,
Can't help much in the southern part of the State.I've hunted the N Grasslands south of pierre twice and we got a few.Nothing to hollar about though.I've hunted near the White River south of Presho/Kennebec once and had decent luck-again nothing wild and crazy.I'd go north or farther west but hopefully others will post up more info for you.Good luck.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Jaybic, If I were you , I would consider going up to the North Central part of the State on Reservation land. Lots of land to hunt on and most people are receptive. You can get a license at the service station up by Bob's Steak house. It is the station before you go down the hill if you are heading West. Tribal license arent't too bad , like $35.oo. Go up along Lake Oahe on the West side. As you cross the bridge go up on top of the hill and take the first main road North, then hunt all along the lake all the way up to the Moreau river and then keep going. Should have plenty of land to hunt in 5days. Lots of breaks and tough walking , but should produce for you.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Carefull Jerry or I'm going to tell them where your honey holes are... :lol: :mrgreen:
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

There's way too much land for you to hunt up there. You notice, I didn't mention any landowners up there. I just gave Jaybic an option for another place for him to go. Always glad to help somebody out .
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thanks for the ideas guys! Its exactly what I was looking for,just a place to start and/or some public land that isnt mauled to bad and then knock on some doors but at least I kinda got a direction to go and that helps a ton. Taking off on the 12th of feb and just gonna hop off 90 at Presho or there abouts and hope for the best. Is there much snow around, (snowshoes required?)??

Thanks again to all of you and take it easy fellas!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

There is never enough land Jerry.. And its nice to be able to hit a virgin spot once in awhile.. :mrgreen:
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Jaybic, if you go North of Presho, just knock on some doors. When you get to the Grasslands , be sure you stay on the designated trails as the forestry service patrol. You can find some nice fields and draws to hunt, but you have to walk. Not much snow around. Get a forest service map . You might want to use google earth and look the area over. There is some great areas south of Kennebec on the White River also. Mange hit pretty hard there though, but you should find some coyotes.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Jaybic, if you go North of Presho, just knock on some doors. When you get to the Grasslands , be sure you stay on the designated trails as the forestry service patrol. You can find some nice fields and draws to hunt, but you have to walk. Not much snow around. Get a forest service map . You might want to use google earth and look the area over. There is some great areas south of Kennebec on the White River also. Mange hit pretty hard there though, but you should find some coyotes.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tim i find it funny that you are giving a SD resident hell about helping a "out of stater" when the only reason you know to hunt that area is because of a few residentsLOLOLOLOLLOL thanks for spicing up my night and giving me a good laugh.

Jerry hats off to you and thanks for helping a member

Jaybic get after and anything Jerry tells you LISTEN!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thanks PG, I am all ears brother!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Tim i find it funny that you are giving a SD resident hell about helping a "out of stater" when the only reason you know to hunt that area is because of a few residentsLOLOLOLOLLOL
There you go talking about something you know very little about...
The area I hunt and call in out there I went and found on my own and have been hunting it longer than most, yes and even longer than some of the local Residents.. See thats the thing now days, no one wants to go out and do the leg work to find areas to hunt or find out what sounds to use to call them in. Instead they just get on the internet and ask around hopeing someone will feed them.. :evil:
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Hell Tim, you are the expert on everything so I guess you'ld know. Sounds to me like Jaybic just wanted to do a little huntin. You remind me of a bunch of guys around Wyoming. You think you own the public land. We've been through this before so I don't need to say it again, but I will! You are this sites premiere sexual intellectual!!!!!!! :shock: :lol: Anyone that wants my definition of a sexual intellectual can pm me. I won't put it on an open forum! :x :x :x
"God hates a coward"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thanks for the insight fellas and bwt, Tim, that would be the difference between you and I. First, I wouldnt get all shitty about it and if I lived a lot closer(like you do) I could day trip over and figure it out for myself. Second, if you would have asked the same thing of me and wanted some ideas on where to go and I knew an area, I would happily tell you all sorts of places to go. I figure we could solve this a couple different ways.

Either you can get me a list of land-owner names and GPS coordinates so I know EXACTLY WHERE I should stay away from or I can stop spending all my time hunting North Dakota(other that this last 2 years, that is about 30 days a month) and shift my focus to that area of South Dakota and spend enough time there that I WILL find those spots that you intend to greedily keep for yourself(what is it, 600,000 sq miles or so? I am sure you hunt every inch of it right?...lol).

I got as much right to be there as you do. At first all I wanted from anyone was just an idea or a direction because I thought we were all fellow coyote hunters and friends on this sight but in seeing your childish reaction, Now I am going there on purpose. Go in the bathroom and thank the guy in the mirror for that.

To the rest of you, thanks for the tips, the sticking up for me and have a great rest of the year!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

First off I was just jerking Jerrys chain so don't get your shorts in a bind.. He does this all the time. He hunts a few different areas every year and if he finds a good spot he gives it away cause most likely he won't be back to hunt it again. Always searching for a better honey hole...
I found my area years ago and keep going back as I enjoy calling there and everytime I go back I look for more areas to call. Its over a 5 1/2 hour drive for me so its not that close to home.. When it comes to hunting anything from coyotes to deer I find my own areas by getting out and looking, thats part of hunting as well... The state of S.D has alot of coyotes most any were with the highest number being East river and all the way to the Mn. bourder... If a hunter goes out on his own and happens to find the same area I hunt great, he must of done a little leg work to get that far so he earned a spot as well.. I have friends out there that hunt certain areas and I don't hunt them and I also don't tell anyone where these areas are.. Makes calling or hunting that much more enjoyable for everyone envolved..
Same BS goes on here at home everyone wants to hunt coyotes but no-one wants to do the leg work to find a good area to hunt in.. Sure its gonna cost you time and money but thats just a part of hunting, find a couple of good spots and just keep adding to it as you go from year to year...

Edit to add:: jaybic I was'nt takeing a shot at you directly so don't take it personnel.. There is a county right in your area with the highest population of coyotes in the state that are also callable.. Don't you hunt around there?????