Coyote Bait

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

BigN
coyotehunter

Coyote Bait

Post by BigN »

I'm sure some of you must have done this already but if you like to hunt coyotes over bait, I tried something new last week and it worked beautifully. On a recent ice fishing excursion, I brought home a 5 gallon pail full of pike, perch, and bass. I cleaned them and put the scraps of the cleaning back in the bucket and set it on the porch for disposal. It was very cold that week so I figured I had some time before it became necessary to get rid of it. By last weekend the bucket with the nastiness in it was also full of water, frozen solid. I had a brainstorm. I took the bucket into my coyote woods, found a good spot for the bait, tipped the bucket upside down and dropped the 5-gallon ice block of stink onto the ground. Over the next several days it started to melt slightly, and stink to high heaven. My treestand is not far away and I observed coyotes, martens, fishers, coons, and several creatures that I couldn't readily identify, all going to the bait to see what it was all about. I realize it's not that much of a discovery but just something to think about if you hunt varmints and also ice fish. Two birds (or varmints) with one stone, so to speak.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Coyote Bait

Post by Coyotehunter »

Thanks for the info.
Coyotes Forever
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

We hunt a lot of "bait piles" around my my area, most guys hunt out of ice shack type shacks with shooting rests out the windows..

But as for the bait we have always called then bait sicles, another tip I can give you is when makeing a sicle use HOT water. When meat is put in a bucket and the hot water is added in it draws the blood out of the meat, it also does the same with fish with what ever its drawing out. Our theory is that not just the bait but also all the ice they are chewing on becomes bait..
If its good enough; Better is achievable
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use horses
Coyotes Forever
TIKKA
coyotehunter

Post by TIKKA »

Coyotehunter wrote:I use horses