Making The Right Decisions

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Making The Right Decisions

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I think I made the right decision last Sun. I went ice fishing to a spot I have been fishing all Winter. It looked kinda iffy and I walked out on the ice and drilled a hole. Only 3"of ice and was crystalized and deteriorating. I exited very causiously . One thing that I have learned as I become older is "if there is any doubt in anything that could potentially be a probem is back off and don't do persue it. Well, two days later a Pierre man fell through and drowned trying to rescue his dog in the same area. Very tragic accident and should have never happen. That makes two people in Pierre that have died the very same way now. One was about 5 years ago.
I do a lot of things by myself and I can't afford to make anykind of mistakes. I guess the point I'm trying to make with the younger generation is think a little bit before you get yourself in trouble. Any doubt, don't do it, and that pertains to anything in life. The wise ole owl has spoken his wisdom. I hope is reaches out to a few people. :| :|
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Re: Making The Right Decisions

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Just realized , I posted this in the wrong place. It should have been in the General discussion area. Sorry about that.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good post Jerry and your DAMN RIGHT. i know i've had a few "shit myself" moments the last couple years hunting on snowshoes. avalanches,falling through the ice. most of my life i've been a (balls to the walls) kinda guy but i've noticed i'm getting way more cautious about stuff lately. even little stuff.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good post Jerry. As you know I hunt out there mostly by myself and I learned a long time ago never to take any chances. Always have extra gear along incase I have to spend the night or a day in the field.. Most of my friends have moved out of the area so I don't have anyone to call incase something comes up so I just tell the wife to have them bury me were they find me if it should happen... :mrgreen:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

good post, good reminder. I am out with just the dogs 2000+ hrs a year with no roads, and have gotten myself in some bad situations that turned out fine by the grace of God. I did pick up a SPOT locator and for the price it is something everyone should at least consider.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

True deal jerry. I tried to walk across a creek that was at flood stage last year. Normally you could make it with just muck boots and not get wet. I had on hip waders and tried it in a spot that I hadn't walked before cause I thought it was a road crossing. I made it about ten feet and fell off of a bank I couldn't see and went in up to my chin. It drug me down stream about fifty yards until I got ahold of a sagebrush and pulled myself out. I was alone and nobody even had a clue to were I might have been. Pretty scarey deal and a dumb move. couldn't imagine leaving my wife and kids all alone just cause I had a couple of traps to check.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

i think this story was for me good post