tips on calling

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kingman8307
coyotehunter

tips on calling

Post by kingman8307 »

Hey guys, i,m new to this site and coyote hunting.I've been out a few times in the past months just trying to get the feel for everything. I have used a rabbit distress call a lot during my hunts and actually did call one in to about 80 yards,and of course I missed. I understand that you use different calls during different times of the year,but,is that state specific or does that count for all states. If it does matter what state your in can anyone give me some tips on calling early to late spring in the mid-west Ohio region. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
drygulch
coyotehunter

Re: tips on calling

Post by drygulch »

Hey there Kingman. Don't know why no one answered you yet. I'm even newer to this stuff than you since you already called on in and missed. I've never hunted yet but I sure have been studying it.

There are a lot of great books and videos not to mention stuff on the web so I alrrady know a smidge.

First of all Coyotes don't care what state they are in, but they do care about other things like climate season and terain. So they behave like any song dog might given those conditions. They just do what Coyotes do. They respond to calls for several reasons.

One is the dinner bell. They survive by capitalizing on easy meals so if you sound like an easy meal they WILL investigate. It doesnt have to be a rabbit or even the kind of rabbits that live where you are it just has to sound in distress. There are times of year when certain sounds work good like when deer a fawning in your area you may want to try fawn in distress.

Another is they respond to eachother. The locator call and the challenge call work great wherever there are coyotes. Not sure but I believe coyotes in dense cover like you might be in in Ohio are more quiet than the ones in open prarrie.

Get a call or two and start blowing it. Get some CDs and lean the different calls then go try them out. You'll figure out what works. One thing to remember though is to stay low and go for a pup in distress right after the shot and he may turn around.

Don't ever let them know your making the sounds or you'll educate them and then they wont come to you. Also you should try putting up some sort of distractor near but not in front of you. That way when they come in they will have something to visualize on besides you.

Well you experts, howed i do?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

this can be a very tough time of year to call. In general terms at least and will only get tougher as you get later in the spring. Right now you are dealing with the lowest densities of coyote of the year. As the spring progresses the females are traveling less and the males do not leave there side. once they start to whelp they are not traveling at all for a couple of weeks. Very general statements but still true. Coyotes from state to state and even with in certain states, dependent on terrain and human contact will have different responses to any given stimulus. You need to figure out what works with your coyotes. distress in the fall and progress to vocalizations as the winter gets in to spring. VERY GENERAL STATEMENTS.
Coyotes Forever
kingman8307
coyotehunter

Post by kingman8307 »

thanks guys for the tips. if anyone has anymore input i would greatly appreciate it