Started out right

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Daryl
coyotehunter

Started out right

Post by Daryl »

Went out last night about 6:00 mt and on the first stand didn't even get through the second howl and had 4 coming in on a run. Looked like an adult and three pups. The adult stopped at the 400 yd mark then two more stopped at the 330 yd mark and the fourth one came to 227 yds and wouldn't come any closer. I tried lip sqeeks rabbbit and pup whines but did seem interested in coming any closer so i dumped the bitch right there. I had good shots at both of the ones sitting at the 330 mark but I had coyote fever bad and had a bad case of the shakes so I over shot on them both and didn't help I was sitting when i normally lay down. All in all 1 out of 4 isn't good but isn't bad either. I made one more stand yet after that and saw nothing so I guess for the first stand of the season I was happy. I will have a picture on soon and the fur is really starting to come around. :D
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Congrats daryl on the first coyote of the year. Im sure i will have coyote fever on the first one too. You mentioned that you were howling when they came in and i was wondering if that is real effective in the early season like this? I was always informed to stick to straight rabbit sounds and puppy whines early in the year.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Nice job Daryl good to know that the fur is coming around.

Well he howled and had 4 come in so there must be some merit to it. I can't imagine doing pure rabbit sounds would have produced 7 coyotes. :lol:
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Well i just sat down and started with an invitation howl and before I was finished with the second one I saw then coming on a dead run and when I tried the rabbit and lip squeeks to get them closer there seemed to be no intrest. I think there is still plenty to eat and that isn't there main concern right now. I kicked two jacks out of that pasture while walking in. They may have thought hey who is in our area you bastards. :?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Congrats Daryl!!

I think I am going to make my 1st stand this weekend if the weather is decent!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Thanks guys!!! I think I am really going to like living here in Beulah :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Very nice area!! Lots of coyotes that way! :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Went out towards sundown scouting for some deer and heard a pack of at least four dogs start howling right at sundown. Think I just found another calling spot :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

thats what keeps me going. We were out goose hunting about 2 weeks ago and for some gumb reason there was one that sounded about 300 - 400 yards away letting the warining barks fly as we were setting up and the guys kept tellin me i need to stop worrying about that coyote and start settin up :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!