Coyote Fur in Sept - Oct...?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote Fur in Sept - Oct...?

Post by Tim Anderson »

Where both batches of coyotes sold together but kept seperate or sold at two different dates??????

I remember some of your picks of the early ones, you had some garbage there if I remember correctly..
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Two different Sales Feb and May. Your right I did post some of my early coyotes, but I also trapped 30 some coyotes. do you see pictures of 30 some coyotes? My early coyotes averaged 10-15. Your statement that oct. coyotes and fox bring in more money than decemember coyotes is laughable. :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I took these fox years back just after we had a Holloween snow storm back in the early 90's. What do you think they fetched in price????

daniel brothers
coyotehunter

Post by daniel brothers »

I'm not really wanting to make money off the hides... I'd be willing to give the hides to anyone who wants to hook up and chase some yotes. I just don't want to toss them away... or make any locals mad for shooting their money dogs. I went to West Oklahoma and NM last Nov and had a great time calling and kiling some dogs... I can go back there again... but I was just wanting to experience the Dakotas with it's open land hunting. I also didn't want to really get there late in the season and interfere with all the contest happening from Nov and onward... not to even mention all the Big Game and Bird Hunters running around. I don't want to interfere with the local's hunting seasons or get in their way...that's why I thought about the early fall. If someone thought I'd be cutting into their fur money... I'd be willing to give them the yotes plus a few dollars to make up for the low cost of early season fur quality. I know this can be an income to the locals... so to make things fair... I'd be willing to make up for the difference. I don't even have to shoot them... I just want to get in on the action... whether I shoot them... call them... video it... or just watch it...I'm all for the experience WAY MORE than the killing. And if anyone wants some SC hunting action...I'm more than willing to trade out time and energy... even a place to stay.
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Archery deer opens here in the first part of Sept and some landowners won't let coyote hunters on till usually deer rifle season has closed.(End of Nov.) They don't want the activity on their land making the deer nocturnal or pushing them off onto someone elses land.

Pheasant season opens the 2nd weekend in Oct. and hunters will be crawling everywhere on public lands.

So my advise to you is either come before pheasant opener and hunt public and unposted lands. Or come in December and shoot some prime coyotes! Don't forget to bring lots of warm clothes! :wink:
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

Quote... Don't forget to bring lots of warm clothes!

LOL... that is one of my main thoughts, because I don't do motels... I use my van for hunting... and sleeping as well... got a great sleeping system inside... so I can sleep where I want too. I've slept in -20 weather before...but that was in NM in Jan... and it was a dry cold...which made it okay. Not sure what to expect in the Dakotas in Dec.

I do understand about land owners and deer hunting seasons...I'd be the same.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I haven't been at this game as long as some you guys, but i can flat out tell you that a december coyote will be better furred on average than anything you shoot in the months of october and November. Snow or no snow it does not determine the primeness of the pelt. When it comes down to price, it is hard to compare from one sale to the next as things change daily in the price of fur.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Are you kidding me tim? Did i miss something. Since when are we comparing fox with coyotes? Never the less fox go prime earlier then coyotes do but you'd better wait tell after thanksgiving to be picking up prime fox and coyotes.

Bring some really good boots gloves and a hat. Long underwear is a must. Bring whites because you'll need them. Preferably with water proofing. You get wet youll get cold fast. Snowshoes are a must in deep snow. 4 wheel drive is helpful to get around.

Your van had better have a good heater.

Xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Snow or no snow it does not determine the primeness of the pelt.
Never claimed it did.. Once snow hits the ground and you have freezing temp.s the hairs of a bedded fox or coyote will freeze down and break off when they move around or get up. ( sometime when you come across a bed in the snow take a close look) When this happens the fur is no longer at its best, but still good fur.....

Late in the season have you ever noticed how some fox or coyotes stiill have pretty good fur and some are rubbed bad. Where they lay has partly to do with it and the other is where they hunt or live....
Last edited by Tim Anderson on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

daniel brothers
coyotehunter

Besides interferring with early hunting seasons... the weather conditions would not be as important... just wanted to be able to do something with the hides... in the round of course. Giving them to someone would be fine with me... just don't know who.
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

I don't even know of any carcass/furbuyers that even want Sept or early Oct. coyotes. Most buyers that I know start in November. I don't do much hunting early, but if I do, I usually leave lay or drag out and dispose of them properly. I may be wrong on this... but I thought in the regulations somewhere that it is illegal to leave them lay on plots/public lands.(You can get a littering charge.) I think you can bury them though.?.?

Even on private land,unless I know the landowner well, I usually haul even mange yotes out and dispose of them if I feel someone or someones pet might find it. Just looks better I guess. :)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Daniel brothers - Here it is in short form; you can go up to almost any rancher in ND and ask to hunt coyotes and they will gladly let you unless deer hunting is underway. I huge majority of them could care less what you do with the coyote. They want them dead and that is it. ADC guys are killing coyotes year around and if they are working for the USDA, they aren't even skinning them when it's prime. I would personally get out there whenever you get a chance and have fun! Don't worry about who will take them, paying others because fur isn't prime, etc etc. If i was in the area and the pelts were prime, i would gladly take them off of your hands, but i never know when i will be coming through the area. There is a fur buyer in minot, ND that might take a carcassed coyote after november but you better call first.
Chris Lyon

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tim - I would much rather have a coyote on the stretcher that was shot when snow was on the ground, than one from last winter! Warm winter with no snow and in my area there was a lot of rubbing really early and the under fur never 100% filled in.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

this is an interesteing discussion I guess. some good info. Adult coyotes the end of October can have some value, and I have sold a lot of coyotes over the years that were taken as early as the middle of October. The hair is real supple and not matted which is nice to not have to comb through the mess you get on coyote the end of January. That being said, most coyotes are used for trim. so all they want is furred up prime coyotes. They just cut long strippes out of the tanned fur and use it to trim jackets. Cuffs, hoods.....you get the idea. when there is good snow on the ground and cold weather the fur will stay good a long time. no snow is a problem because they are walking through all the stubble fields and brush, which is what really tears a coyotes fur up. A buyer may have to fill an order for tanned hides at a novelty/souviner store, trim or full coates. Well he may want something a little different for each order. Coyotes fur is a good insulator and if the weather is cold and you have a lot of snow it does not cause much damage when they get up out of there beds. The damaged fur comes from brush and stubble predominately not snow.
Coyotes Forever