Coyote Fur in Sept - Oct...?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Coyote Fur in Sept - Oct...?

Post by Prairie Ghost »

O.K i can see i missed a lot.

First: Fox vs Coyotes is apples to Oranges period!

Second: no snow does way more damage than lots of snow although the fox start to get bleached out in the plains like ND. However sunflower fields with no snow ruin a LOT of fur.

If you want to come up from SC to call and shoot coyotes come when the wife and kids and the work schedule works if you can make a little off of the fur do your best to keep the carcasses in good condition the fur buyer in Minot is real good to deal with but anything before Nov 1st he is REAL learry of.

Personnally if i was going to drive all that way i would be here two weeks after deer rifle season closes or in the middle of december when winter hits hard but thats just me
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Id have to say those late october early november are the prettiest darn coyotes you will shoot. not saying they are worth more just still have all those long guard hairs and shine nice.. definately not as full underneath.. I just like to kill them let the fur buyer worry about that stuff.
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

Post by daniel brothers »

Quote... I just like to kill them let the fur buyer worry about that stuff.

I'm leaning towards Mitch's reply... I like to shoot them too.

Mid Nov = Mid Dec would really be the best time for me, since I could get some of this deer/hog hunting behind me down here... but your tough weather may kick my butt trying to get around in my mobile hunting/living rig... and... I may be getting sloppy seconds on the yotes after all the bird and deer hunters shake things up... as well as coyote tournaments going into full swing. So it's taking a chance on all this listed above... or come earllier when weather is better, and less hunter activity.

Hmmmmm... what to do...Hmmmm
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

Daniel just a little advice this part of the country has changed so bad from the oil field it is scary all the great hunting and never seeing a soul in your hunting area is a thing of the passed. All i hear from the farmers latly is things are not going to be good this year with all people around here. If you are coming up here in a van with out of state plates just be carefull where you camp. Everone is on the edge becuase of all the crime that is happening and the shootings that have gone on and yes it is all because of the oilfield trash that has came in good luck and have great time when you come.
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

Thanks for the heads up.... that is something to keep in mind for sure.

What is the limit on Trashy Oil Fielders...?
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Tim, Id like to know where you get your info.

You should get a fur buyers license, and ill sell you ALL the October coyotes you can handle! And of course, ill be expecting "fully prime" December prices!

LATE October, most of the adults will be "prime" but not fully filled in, most of your pups will still not be prime. The absolute BEST coyotes are killed the first two weeks of December. And any halfways competent fur buyer will easily spot the differences between an October vs late November/December dog.

Fox prime a tad earlier, but also start to break down earlier too.

No snow years are the WORST. Animals end up running through cover rather than over it on the snow. Sure, laying on snow is hard on fur, but brush busting is far worse and breaks hips down MUCH faster. Cattail slough coyotes are the worst. I actually had this discussion with several buyers this spring. The coyotes looked like crap a lot earlier than usual (general consensus amongst several buyers), open winter.
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

I'd rather come up there in late Nov-early Dec... but not sure if living out of my van would be wise that time of year, with your weather.... unless It's like last year. I know the hides would be the best then, and I wouldn't feel like the bad guy when shooting early season hides. I don't want to waste anything. I guess by that time of year the pressure of bird and deer hunters would be less... is that correct...?

As far as Oil Fielders... are they really an issue for trouble... or just a few things happening here and there.

thanks...Dan