.....How to Hit Running Coyotes.....?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

daniel brothers
coyotehunter

.....How to Hit Running Coyotes.....?

Post by daniel brothers »

I know you Dakota Boys ... and Montana Boys... have some good tips for hitting running coyotes... can you share them...?

I've read were some say ...hold on the hair... while others say .... lead in front of the hair.

And I know it all depends on the yote's speed and angle, as well as bullet speed, but there must be something that works more often than not.

I know you Guys are Killing Machines... so what are the secrets....? thanks...Dan
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: .....How to Hit Running Coyotes.....?

Post by Tim Anderson »

Your right, hold on fur for up close coyotes and past a 100 yds or so follow through and squeeze when the cross hair just passes the nose.. For straight away shots I aim for just above the ears or right between them. Always foolow through or you will either miss or hit them in the ass most times...
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

all instinct once you shoot quite a few runners. I like too shoot the one standing and watch oyloe cut down the other 2 running away :lol: . Well if he is shooting the .17 rem they are in deep trouble.
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

why does the .17 make it better...?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

daniel brothers wrote:why does the .17 make it better...?

The .17 for Oyloe is like it is a part of his body. He has shot that gun so long and so many times he knows right where to hold every time.

If you want to practice running shots in the summer time blow up some balloons on a windy day and let them go across the field and try shooting them. If you want to slow them down, then add a little water. You can also add some corn starch or baby powder to them and watch the white poof after you shoot them.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The smaller calibers dont kick as much and allow u to stay on target...make a correction with a quick follow up shot. light gun with a shorter barrel length also help with running shots
Coyotes Forever
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

I thought Oyloe shot a 243 tikka... like Mitch.... Hmmmm.... Interesting.

I can see how a light recoil would help you stay on target better... but you Guys have to deal with alot of wind ... don't you...?

I've heard of the ballon thing before, but never tried it...not sure where to try that without poppng them all. Seems like a seclued lake would work great on a windy day... you could even see your hits in the water. I couldn't use a rifle on my lake...but I could get some practice by using a pellet rifle.... at short ranges of course...enough to get the feel.

I just thought of a freshly plowed up field that might work without popping ballons...have to check that out.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You can practice with any gun you got so you can work ontrigger control and eye contact but I suggest you use the rifle you plan to use for coyotes more than the others.. Reason being is you need to get your timeing down as far as lead goes as bullet speed will be different from cal. to cal.
I do all my practiceing on live targets, plenty of action here all winter..LOL
I have 3 primary hunting rifles that shoot the bullets at roughly the same speed so I can go to any of them and my lead will be the same which makes life that much easier..
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

I totally understand Tim... Thanks for the tips.

I guess I could always tie firecrackers to my Wife's cat's tails.
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

daniel i only shoot a 243 rem 700 bdl in tournaments
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

Here is a very good post that was giving to me from GreyFox over in Longrange Hunters.

It's worth the look.

http://www.udarrell.com/leading-running ... frames.htm
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

D.B. JBM ballistics calculator will figure it all out for you.. What you need to keep in mind is all balistic programs figure the lead for a rifle in the fixed position, in other words you point the rifle 15 ft. in front of the running coyote and hope it don't make any direction changes before you shoot....
What I use is a follow through lead, i pick up the coyote in the scope and come from behind and follow through with the cross hairs till I'm in front of shoulder or end of nose, depending on speed and distance.... By following through you are matching the speed of the coyote but you still need to lead enough for time of flight of the bullet. Much easier this way and less guessing...
daniel brothers
coyotehunter

seems like a milldot reticle would help out with the follow through lead estimation... what do ya think...?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Lead through the coyote. Unless the coyote is at four hundred yds and going strong which they are pretty safe if I'm shooting if they are. I pull the trigger on fur while following threw. However some people are different that is just what i see and and how my mind reacts everyone is a little different talk to a good trap or skeet shooter they live and breathe this stuff.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!