Areas of ND to try?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

cb186
coyotehunter

Areas of ND to try?

Post by cb186 »

So a friend and I are finally gonna make a trip to ND this winter to try our hand at calling. We are going out cold, and gonna see what we can make happen. Sounds like with all the oil field stuff going on around Williston, that we might want to avoid that area. Dickinson the best jumoping off point? Not looking for anyones honeyholes(unless you want some hunting company and wanna show a couple rookies the ropes), just a general direction to head to.

Thanks in advance.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Areas of ND to try?

Post by bucksnbears »

any area 25 miles west of MN will put you into coyotes. so basically, put a big X on the state and you'll find coyote aplenty
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Anywhere north or west of Dickinson will get you into the numbers...
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I agree, like bucs says, the entire state holds coyotes but the west side does have a LOT of oil traffic anymore. do you guys notice that traffic having and impact directly or indirectly on coyote numbers?
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

ya you dont see coyotes off the roads anymore. big disadvantages and bigger advantages if you adapt.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the coyotes arent going anywhere. We have a ton of traffic out here from the energy boom. The coyotes are still there they are just not going to run everytime they see a truck now. They get used to all that traffic. Christ I have seen coyotes in down town Seattle and hunted them in Chino, and Prescott in Arizona.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

the more traffic there is the easier it is to pinpoint the good areas to hit. The more remote areas with no roads through them will hold coyotes in bigger numbers. Should be a good year to call under the moon where there is a lot of traffic. When i use to hunt ND a lot we hit the heavy oil areas at night. The coyotes are still there just a little spookier and more nocturnal
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
cb186
coyotehunter

Post by cb186 »

Good info guys, thanks. Just want to try maximizing our experience out there.
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

cb do not be scared to hit the badlands Mitch and I made 6 stands killed 5 had one coming in on the 6th stand but a farmer came to see what the hell that sound was coyote hauled ass. We stoped at noon and just drove around saw 5 more dogs I have to say i was surprised at the number of dogs we saw. I talked to a friend that lives in Belfied that does a lot of snaring in the badlands he told me he has never seen the dogs like he has seen this year already. Good luck and hope you have a good time