Sunday Sunday part 2

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Sunday Sunday part 2

Post by alleyyooper »

We had did a total of 5 farms and gotten 1 coyote when we decided to go have dinner.

Drove to Donna’s Deluxe Dinner at outer Mongolian about half way between you are here and we were there.

We both decided to by pass the Sunday afternoon beef pot roast and had the hot pork sandwich. This thing is a good half inch of home made buttermilk bread piled with sliced pork loin another half inch slice of bread smothered in pork gravy. Mashed potatoes also smothered with pork gravy, a side of a vegetable either green beans with bacon or niblet corn, along with all the coffee or ice tea you could drink.
Walked out of the place with good luck wishes form our favorite girls, country raised each and every one.

Both of us were wanting to get some place quick and walk off some of the weight in our bellies.

About 5 miles down the road we come to another beef farm operation we hunt. Trucks temp read out said 33F and the sun was really bright with a cloud less sky. Walking back to where we are going to set up you wanted to be careful as the mud was very slippery. We set up in a narrow strip of woods beside a drainage ditch that joined 3 others just a short distance away. We didn’t set out a decoy here as we have never figured a good way to do so in the past.

Get the arguing kitty cats sound going on the caller and isn’t 15 minutes till we see a pair of coyotes sneaking along the far drains edge. Is a impossible shot for me so I sign to Dean to take both, he fires boom boom and one coyote is down for good and the other is trying to get away but it’s back legs won’t work so well then it lays still.

We wait just as normal then walk to the coyotes I look at the one that had tried to get away and it was dead so I cut a V near the tip of the ear. Dean gave me shrug like what are you doing, I sign I will let him know back at the truck. We pack our gear and wrap the coyotes up and head back to the truck. Once there I tell Dean I would like to know where you hit that coyote and the bullet path, I have never ever seen a coyote do much more that kick a few times where it lays when you shoot it. So not to get it mixed up with the others I cut the notch, you can have the next nice hide coyote I shoot.

As we are driving to the next farm another dairy operation, Dean explains he was given a box of Speer TnT 55 gr bullets. He had loaded them up and tested them on the range and felt they were as good as the Serra 55gr. HPBT we had always used.

Arrive at the farm trucks temp says 35F. We gear up and hike back to a place where Dean shot his first double with his rifle. Don as usual has left two rows of corn next to the woods for the deer.

Deans points to the call sheet shrugs lets try a Fawn in distress sound.

Set the decoy out get in place then start the sound. It has ran a good 15 minuses when I see a pair of horse riders and point them out to Dean. Deans shuts the sound down but they continued to the decoy where they stop. They look around and see us across the field and come charging toward us. The guy is letting his horse get to close to me and I was afraid he was going to knock my riffle off the rest so I grab it up and bring it to port arms and tell the guy to back off. Dean confronts the woman and tells her Al is a Nam vet and I don’t know how far he can be pushed so you had best tell him to back that horse up. Also if you have a cell phone call Don and let him know your messing with some coyote hunters.

Dean told me he could hear Don on the phone calling him and her Ja** A** and to get to his house as soon as they can. She tells the guy that Don wanted them at the house ASAP.
So they leave.

:D Al