Any Success?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I here what you are saying. I have seen some of the same groups of hunters that just chase them down with trucks.. I see it happen alot in eastern S.D. and in Minn..
We try not to get the coyotes too worked up or they will head for a pipe or hole somewhere... i have called in some areas in Eastern S.D. where coyotes have been chased around some, they are still callable, just have to change a few tactic's and try to locate them nite before..
Where i live the coyotes where not into being called at all so we just hunt them here. Not too many callers in my area and for those that are here there access to land is limited, we have most of it tied up.. :D T.A.

P.S. just stopped home for a bite to eat and check posts.. We already got two coyotes this A.M. and wellbe after a third after dinner..
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

Found out this weekend of two more callers working my same area. I have been getting permission to hunt private land but they are in the area of public hunting. I have done well in the past but this year seems to be a real slump. Maybe the added calling pressure is the culprit. My guess is by the end of Febuary they will have done there thing and calling success will improve.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It is always tough if someone got there first and messed up your coyotes.
Tim A. do you guys use cross country ski's much? I was talking to a guy up in Warroad that said they run shelter belts with ski's and I could imagine the ground you could cover.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Coyotehunter: No we don't use ski's, but we will use snowshoes when the snow gets deep enough in the river and creek bottoms. I saw a hunter up by Wilmer one year on ski's and boy could he move . T.A.
1 shot
coyotehunter

Post by 1 shot »

I was thinking about ski's also. Just going out from stand to stand. Are they noisy?
He was running around where he shouldn't have
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It has been a long time since I have been on them but you can cover a ton of ground in a hurry. Very easy to use. I think they could be pretty stealthy if the snow was right.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is a right way to hunt by pushing and a wrong period. I don't think it would be for me but i'm not going to say that its wrong because there is hunters out there that don't like traps or snares and i use those tools. I believe that it is a little tougher to call in the areas that Tim is hunting however i think a lot of guys in that area are quick to jump up and say that "Calling doesn't work hear". Every coyote in the world can be called during SOME part of the year.

Good discussion guys
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Quote: Every coyote in the world can be called during SOME part of the year. Quote;

Perhaps this is true, I don't know! I have hunted with Rich H, and was a student of Scott H. and also met and spent sometime with gerry Blair. My coyotes have been discussed with all three and there really is'nt any good answer why they don't respond. We can only guess why. I have called other areas in Mn. and have not had any problems calling them in, it just is'nt working here. Maybe one or two couldbe called dureing denning but i don't hunt them then, only in the winter when fur is prime.
I have tried southern calling tactics and a few other tactics suggested by the three guys i mentioned above. I'm not really into calling one or two coyotes a year, i'm in it more for the higher numbers so i just hunt here and call in other areas where they are more callable. Too me its no big deal if they are hunted, called or trapped.. T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have had coyotes that are more susceptable to one tool over another. All coyotes have different experiences that make them react the way they do to situations that pop up in their daily lives. Some coyotes are bold and aggressive while others are meek and timid. Born that way, kind of like the differences between michael jackson and mike tyson. For me with a problem coyote, It gets to be a issue of time. How much time do I want to spend on that coyote. I think each guy in his own mind is more comfortable with one tool over another. We all tend to go to that comfort zone when things get tough. For me personally, if I have the time I do feel I can kill any coyote with a call and a gun. But that is were I am the most comfortable. Now that does not mean that is the quickest way for me to get it done. All kinds of things will figure into my decision on how I am going to get the job done. Terrain, weather, livestock, game animals, ...You get my point. Now I have hunted with a lot of guys that you would know, Merv Griswold, Calvin Taylor, Walt Earl Sr., Travis Osmond, Mark Zepp, Craig O'Gorman.....to name a few. If I was to start writing down the names of the Biologists, hunters and trappers who's seminars I have attended, had a beer with, exchanged emails and phone conversations with I could write all day. I think this is a conversation that I have had with all of them to one extent or another. Basically we are talking about problem coyotes. Coyotes that have seen a thing or two and just do not want to cooperate. I do not think it is helpful to have a mind set that there are different coyotes from region to region. Coyotes are coyotes. Does not matter where you live. Oh I know there will be some grumbleing about this statement but it is just the way it is. Each coyote is an individual and each has its own quircks. Get to know his or her habits and I believe that any tactic you choose to go after it with you will be successful. Of course you need to be proficient with the method you decide to use. The reason I brought up those names of other hunter is because they would probably all, if faceing a similar problem, approach that coyote differently based on their individual experiences. I do hear the term "Call Shy" a lot and I do feel it has more to do with hunter error than call shy coyotes. I am not directing that statement at any one in particular. I feel that most guys just do not have the time to get to know there coyotes before hunting them. If you are recreational hunting you want the most bang for the buck. Heck, a professional trapper who is not doing control work is no different in the sense that he does not have the time to go after a problem coyote. A problem coyote is worth no more than a dumb pup. You as an individual just has to decide how much time you want to put into it and what you expect to get back out. For me hunting a coyote with a gun and a call is the ultimate in the heart pounding adrenaline rush that I crave. Better than sex, drugs and rock n roll. I paid my dues and spent many a coyoteless weekend in that pursuit. Traps and snares are great and even shooting the occasional volunteer out the window of the truck can be nice. Nothing for me beats calling a coyote in and dumping her at 20 yards with a shotgun. But you will not get the numbers like trapping or snareing. Well I am kind of rambling on but I hope everyone gets the jest of what I am trying to say. If it is legal and fair chase, give them hell.
Coyotes Forever
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Wow! Great explanation coyotehunter!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I hear ya loud and clear!!!! Your right jamie every coyote in the entire world can be taken with a gun and a call. Your also right when you said that it is all how much time you are willing to invest to learn that coyote. As you mentioned earlier every one is different, There like humans. The better you get to know them the easier it is to predict there movement.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Coyotehunter: Good post. I have some questions ,but first a little history so you know where i stand...
Most of my calling is done in S.D. and a few other states, but mainly S.D. When i took instrustion with Scott we worked some problem coyotes when i was there and we got them in and took care of them. I work the coyotes pretty much the same as how Scott does except for a few minor details. Most of the coyotes i call in are on the older side, by the time i get out there most of the younger ones are gone. I don't have much of a problem working with most of them, and like you said some come in agressive and some come in quiet and sneaky. I know the areas i call in and know where they hang out and i also know how to approach them..
Now back to Mn. my area consists of 1 mile square sections with a few bigger sections here and ther. I know where most of the coyotes are and i have a real good idea of the size of there terr., i also know where they spend there time resting dureing the day. I have gone to some of the areas and called with no response, i have tried calling with low volume, starting with rodent sounds, bird, working up to rabbit and some coyote vocals. Some stands i use just one or two sounds then come back later and try something else. I've tried just coyote vocals alone with out any other distress sounds except hurt pup. Some have said maybe the coyote was'nt there when i called. So next step i did was call a couple of areas and then came back a few hours later with help and then pushed the section to see if there was a coyote there. 2 out of 3 drives produced coyotes, so they where there when i called. I use hand calls and also electric caller. When i walk into a section to call i try to hide veh. out of site and have walked in from a 1/4 mile as far as a half mile, useing small valleys or fence lines for cover. I make my stands so the coyote has some type of cover to follow so he feels comfortable comeing in dureing daylite hrs. I have set up in heavey cover with the caller in the open and down wind to caller.
I have tried calling at first lite, mid-day, and just before dark. I also go out at nite and locate coyotes by howling, just started doing this, this year. i have had good response from them as far as howling back. Just this year i have made over 75 stands and have yet to even get a glimps of a coyote.. I also have some areas set aside for just calling, we don't hunt them untill later in the year. As for other callers there are not to many in my area and the ones that are here don't call in my areas, mostly private land that no one else can hunt on but me..

So the big question what should i try now?

Most of the snow is gone here so i wellbe going out to some other areas and try calling some fox and some coyotes and see what developes... Thanks...T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I lived in northern MN for a little over 4 years and spent most of my life in eastern ND. So I have called all the terrain and conditions you are describing. I do not think I can answer that question with out going and working the area. I am not trying to duck you but I can not explain location very well with out seeing the area I am talking about. I do not know Scott H. very well. I have talked with him once a few years back. I have not hunted with him. So I do not know how he hunts. I really am trying to choose my words here. My thoughts are that if you have made 75 stands in areas that you know has coyotes in them and have not called in or seen a coyote....Well are you sure about knowing were they are? I have gotten into areas that from the sign should be crawling with coyotes and have not been able to produce even one. For what ever reason they just were not moving or in the areas I was calling. I have had guys explain to me, like you, this type of scenario and when I have hunted with them you can see the things that they are doind wrong. But from a computer it is pretty tough. If you are saying that all the pup coyotes are gone by the time you start calling, where did they go, If know one else is hitting the area. "I know where most of the coyotes are and i have a real good idea of the size of there terr., i also know where they spend there time resting dureing the day." If you know this you should be on coyotes at every stand. If you never call in a coyote or see a coyote, then you do not know where they are, the size of territory or bedding grounds. You can not have it both ways. I know that sounds bad for me to say but...well it just does not make sense to me. Everyone has had coyotes that will not respond on any given day to a call. That is just a coyote being a coyote. I also know that the area you are calling as everyone would agree does not have the coyote densities that a lot of the western states have. The coyotes you do have will get called more and harassed more even from just guys driving down the road. Those grided roads make it hard for a coyote to travel during day light hours with out someone taking a poke at them. there is a solution to every problem. Yours is pushing, sounds like it is working for you. If done on foot with out vehicles, more power to you. I am not trying to judge your hunting abilities with out ever hunting with you. I am only trying to respond to what you are sayig here.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Wow Great Topic! There is alot of information to digest here. I hope you bring your "A" game like this to the classic because I got a few more questions for you!! :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Coyote hunter: The pups i was refering to was the ones in S.D. where i can call in coyotes. Like i stated i don't see too many there and this can be due to other callers working this area and mange. I still call in coyotes out there but they are just the older and more conditioned ones. Some stands may take up to 1 Hr. to get them in..

Here in Mn. like i said i know where the coyotes are and have tried to call them in and if i could'nt get them to respond , i would get the crew together and push the section to find out if the coyotes was there or not and like i said out of three drives we got two out of three.
We have alot of pressure here due to pheasant and deer hunters, but we don't have many coyote hunters around and the ones that do hunt coyotes here hunt with me so i know who is hunting where and know who is shooting at what..
I understand when you said you can't fix whats wrong if you have never been here and thats a good answer, matter of fact thats the same answer i got from the other guys i talked about earlier...
Last year i was on a forum talking abot the coyotes here and all kinds of guys giveing me info i should try, how to set up and what sounds to use ect.
Randy Buker then posted and stated that most of the suggestions where not needed, he said just go into area and set up on a fence line going to the cover where coyotes are bedded and they will come. I tried what he and others have suggested and still nothing... I know what trips a western coyotes trigger and still searching for what trips the trigger on my coyotes... My electric caller is on its way back from Minaska and i willbe going after them again this week.. Thanks for youre help and good hunting... T.A.

P.S. This year i went out calling for 3 weeks before the deer and pheasant seasons opened hopeing to call in some pups that have'nt heard a caller yet and have'nt been kicked around by other hunters. I even went out at nite to locate them so i new where they where for sure...