Any Success?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Not to start a debate!!

Tim ,I think we hunt pretty close to eachother, (whenever I go back to MN) I have called a handfull of coyotes in this year, at the most 10 total stands. I agree they can be really hard to call due to the smaller sections and everyone and there mom shooting at them. I don't think its a correct statement to say they can't be called, it just takes alittle more thinking and time.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep that seems to be a dirty word in the coyote calling wourld. :D
I guess i could say they are non-responsive instead.. Take care..T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do appreciate the discussion. I have called down in Arizona a bunch and the areas close to town get just hammered. We have had luck useing a Feral cat tape in a johny Stewart 512 with pretty good success. They eat a lot of cats down there. Non-responsive is a great way of saying it. I have on occasion seen coyotes while going into a location to call that where bedded down. started calling and had them pick their head up and look but would not move. Just the way it goes some times. It does not take much to get a coyote spooked and whether anyone is targeting coyotes, pheasant, deer, what have you, it will get a coyote nervous and it can take sometime before they get back into their routine. I will be the first to admit that the calling in Minnesota is not the best.I spent many a weekend trying to call coyotes in around bemidji, Laporte, Bagley, Washkish...Just not very many coyotes and lots of timber cutting down how far the sound carries. If I know a coyote is there and he will not respond to a call I just throw some traps down and if the terrain lends itself to snares I will run some trail snares as well. If I screw up on a coyote with traps, calls, snares...it happens. I just move in on them with something else. I just do not have the time to let my ego get in the way of my goal. Which is to get that coyote killed and I do not have any problems with changing things up with a smarty.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The past couple of days have been great. I got a double on coyotes with the 17 Pred. and today got a double on two red fox that where called in. We took over a dozen coyotes in the last couple of days as a group. Fox are starting to breed and coyotes are starting to pair up.. T.A.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good work
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

While some of you where in the house today keeping warm the 17 Pred. and I smacked another coyote. Temp was -8 here...
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

We got some fresh snow last nite and went out to hit an area we have'nt hunted yet. We got 3 coyotes and one redfox. Two of the coyotes had mange pretty badd and the third was showing a little wear from hanging in the corn stocks..
eddy07

Post by eddy07 »

Me and my buddy got 3 yotes the last two days and saw 2 fox,... this cold weather sure does make them come into the call good!
Snowball1968

Post by Snowball1968 »

Took my kids calling just before dark. Didn't last long though(less than 15 seconds start to finish)! They had a blast. Fastest I ever had a coyote come in! Think they're hooked.
Snowball
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

that is very cool.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I got a few more coyotes with the help of my 17 Pred.
Trapper34

Post by Trapper34 »

Tim great job! You are correct calling in this neck of the woods is very tuff. I was out at 4a..m on sat trying to get some responses not a thing. Did a few stands over the weekend & nothing like you said they are there just not responding.Was going to hit the river but to many snowmobilers going up & down it.
carolina_outlaw
coyotehunter

Post by carolina_outlaw »

Sorry to somewhat change the subject, but i got a question for you Tim, the scope on your rig in the pics above, is it a SWFA Super Sniper by chance if so what power and how does it perform in the field? Judging by the pics the rig works well, and what is a .17 pred?
Primos Hunting Calls
Speak the Language
Coyote Inc

Post by Coyote Inc »

Slow slow slow, I have only taken one coyote so far this year, a small female around the 1st of March. Just haven't been able to hunt that much.
Anyone can kill a deer, it takes a man to kill a varmint -Ben Lilly
WAREAGLE
coyotehunter

Post by WAREAGLE »

I WAS GOING TO GO THIS MORNING BUT OLD GIRL WORE ME OUT LAST NITE SEEN A LOT OF SIGN AROUND LUNCH WHEN IS WAS SIGHTING IN MY RIFLE :lol: WILL GO IN THE MORNING :D IF IT DONT RAIN
SGT. KYLE