Any Success?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1 shot
coyotehunter

Any Success?

Post by 1 shot »

Its been kind of slow around here lately. How is everyone doing this year. Are your numbers above, below or just average for the year.
Good fur or lots of mange?

Hope everyone has a good new year!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Some of the fur has been really good and a few with rubb marks on back side of necks and only 2-3 manged coyotes.. we got five more today which puts us at 37 coyotes.
Numbers seem to be the same as last year..T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

T.A. are you just calling or do you get a bunch of guys together and push them on foot with guys posting escape routes. If so how many guys? I lived in Minnesota for a while. They do it a little different then I am used to.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

We normaly have three to four covering escape routes. One of which is also in charge, keeps every one organized, He normaly takes the higher ground and if coyote is jumped and missed by stalker then he lets the other guys know what direction its headed..What we try to do is keep coyote in the section and let the stalker do the shooting. We will have anywhere from one to three stalkers depending on how large the section is. The main thing is work together and don't be greedy, we try to get everyone a shot at a coyote, Keep it fun and safe and a crew will hang together for years to come.. T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

How many guys total? Do you use vehicles (4wheelers, snowmobiles, pickups) to keep them in the section?
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I don't know about you guys but last time i checked it is illegal to take an animal the way that you explained Tim. I also know that 2 way radios and cell phones are illegal to communicate with when pursuing game unless you have the proper documents. I know this is minnesotas rules anyway. I know to each there own but i know i would loose a battle every time if i had to out run trucks and fourwheelers.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

At least someone called it out!!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Radio's can only be used for coyotes and no other game animal period. A permit is required for the use of each radio and hunter. You can get a permit from youre local Gamewarden free of charge, they just want to know who has them so they can keep an eye on you to make sure everything is up and up..
We do not use four-wheelers or snowmachines to hunt coyotes. It is legal for a hunter to walk into a field and try to shoot coyote or drive out towards the road to another hunter. Coyotes can be shot off from the road as long as you do not interfear with the flow of traffic..and you are not sitting inside you vehicle..
Any more questions i would be happy to answer , or better yet ask a gamewarden..
There are plenty of coyotes around in the state of Minn. if one gets by us we just move on to the next, no big deal, also we are up to date on all hunting laws that pertain to hunting coyotes and redfox, we do not break the laws....
As to the comment from Lyonch and LeviM you both are mis-informed.. good hunting...T.A.

P.S. You may think that if a bunch of hunters can kill a large number of coyotes we must also trespass and so on. I will inliten you on this matter also..
Most of the time there are six guys in my crew that live in different parts of Mn. we all have our own area in which we hunt. We carry along phone books for the areas we hunt and also plat books so we can find out who owns the land we wish to hunt. All it takes is a phone call or a knock on the door and we are in. Once in awhile a farmer may say no because of deer season or pheasants hunting is going on but they are more than happy to have us come back when seasons are over.. We hunt anywhere from 4-8 counties, some in southern part of state and some up in the central part and a few in western. We hunt where the bulk of the coyotes are, we don't try to kill them all off ,just thin them out a bit.. If you meet a vehicle comeing down the road with a hunter dressed in white don't forget to wave, it might be me ...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

As i mentioned before to each there own on how they pursue them but for me personally give me a good call my rifle and with a good friend next to you callem in. I never once thought of you as a tresspasser tim. there is alot of land in minnesota and there are some areas where the coyotes are getting too thick and need to be thinned out or there going to have mange problems.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Tim

Thanks for the clarification. It is neat to read the different ways people hunt coyotes. For me I have only done calling but maybe someday would try another method to see what it is like.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lol :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Hey guys: I also call coyotes and love doing it also, i just don't do it here. Most of my calling is done in Az. , S.D. and a few other states...We mainly hunt coyotes for the fur and and high numbers is what we are after, and where i live its not possiable to get high numbers by calling and the coyotes here don't like to play the calling game very well so we adapted and over-came and learned to harvest them in another way...
No foul guys, some hunters don't like the way i hunt them and its too badd but thats the way it is..
I have met Gerry Blair in person and spent some time with him at a camp-out, i also have called with Rich Higgins, and Randy Shaw, and i was a student of Scott hubar. Calling is'nt something new to me, i been doing it for almost twenty years.. Takecare..T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well, looks like this is a touchy subject. I was just curious. Not everyone agrees with traps, or even snares. I do both and have had to field questions on the issue, mainly clarifieing miss information and old wives tales. I truely believe that all coyotes are easy until someone goes and screws up on them. There are a lot of reasons why it is tougher in some areas than others to call coyotes in but may have little to do with the coyote and everything to do with terrain and hunting pressure. I lived in Minnesota for 4 years and trapped, snared and called coyotes in over there. I have also hunted Az a bunch as well as Tx, Mt, Wy, Utah, and of course ND. The west just has more coyotes per hunter. The areas in Minnesota that have coyotes get a lot of hunting pressure. Makeing the calling tough plus there are a lot of hunters there that hunt how Tim is describing. I started pushing river bottoms Bowhunting for whitetails with my dad and his hunting buddies almost 30 years ago. for the past 20 years I have mainly just sat in a tree and hunted them. Now a days you will not talk with to many guys that hunt whitetails with a bow by pushing the woods every weekend. Not to mention how much is will screw up the guy who is hunting the same area and is sitting in a tree. Well with coyotes you do not hear much about pushing with walkers and posters. Now it seems everyone is calling and even trapping coyotes is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Legal or not I have hunted areas after guys have gone through with the 4wheelers, snowmobiles, coursing hounds, pickups and business band radios and I am hear to tell you the calling sucks. If you say you are not chasing coyotes up and down the section lines blasting away at them from the trucks or herding coyotes with vehicles to hunters then I believe you. If you are walking through areas on foot with posters up ahead shooting coyotes as they flush that is one thing. a bunch of guys driving around making noise to scare coyotes out of cover then chasing them with vehicles is something entirely different. As far as the legality of it, in a lot of states chasing coyotes with a vehicle is perfectly legal. In some states you can just about take a coyote any way you can think of. Legally. So I do not think it is even an issue about what is legal but more about what is ethical and being ethical is really just one mans opinion. I wrote an article for VHA a few years back about this very subject. It is posted on this site somewhere. "Counting Coyotes" Quantity or Quality of the hunt. I had run into a guy in Wishek, ND who was banging himself on the chest about how many coyotes he had taken. Later I found out from a rancher who's land I had hunted on for years new this guy and said that this guy was driving around in pastures flushing coyotes out with the truck and then shooting at them. He led me to believe he was playing on the same field as me but come to find out he was not even getting out of the truck. In my opinion he was not a ethical hunter. Legal, maybe but not my idea of a memorable hunt. I have read Gerry's book, and I have talked with Scott. I do not know who Randy Shaw is and I think Higgins is that fellow who is running around talking about misting so much. (I think the misting thing is just silly but that is another topic). I have no doubt you do some calling Tim. I did not mean to put you on the defensive, it is just a method of hunting that I think for the most part gets abused by guys who spend more time in the truck then they do walking out coulies, and ravines. Sounds like you may have a different approach and it may be good to hear about someone who is out walking and posting for coyotes and not just chasing them around with vehicles. Well, that was a little long winded but I wanted you to know where I was coming from.
Coyotes Forever
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Great post coyotehunter! Good discussion guys.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I didn't mean to start anything, I just thought the subject should be clarified, I don't want to piss anyone off

I am originally from west central MN, I know how people hunt coyotes there. It sucks for people like my dad and brother that want to call in coytoes but can't because the coyotes are so scared of the sound of vehicles they wouldn't dare come near a call.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"