Feb/March Calling Tactics

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

fowler6807

Feb/March Calling Tactics

Post by fowler6807 »

I'm wondering how others change calling tactics heading into this time of year. I've heard everything from using the same tactics to dropping distress sounds completely and focusing more on howling and creating invitation calls. The last two I've callled have only come in right at dark and seemed to respond pretty well to a mixture of howls, pup distress calls and rabbit calls at the end. Looking for some input.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use a lot more vocalizations, but once I get a response I let the coyote tell me what to do.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

i have been doing a lot of reading on coyote howls latley and let me tell you i thought that i had an idea of what they were saying but it seems the more i read the dumber i feel cause it is so complicated :? as jamie mentioned let the coyote tell you what to try to say.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep it is really just to much information. Smart animals
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

For the most part i do a lot more vocalizations at the start of the stand and judge the rest of the stand on what the coyotes do like coyotehunter said.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

cold days or just after a period of cold the same old dying bunny,the yotes want to put the food on, warmer weather and the dog days (breeding time NOW)! young lonley vigin howls and 3-4 female yips if you have every seen a female dog not ready to breed but smells good to the male she will snap and yip at him or even growl and yip (still trying to master the growling) any ideas anyone???
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tbush i've tried some of the same tactics and had mixed responses. I have had a LITTLE success when i've had hung up coyotes this time of year with that sound.
Snowball1968

Post by Snowball1968 »

I use deer distress where the deer are herded up this time of year; works very well. Rabbit distress at very, very low volume also has been good. Denning areas I give a couple challenge howls; if I get a response set back and get ready for a very aggressive, upset coyote. Yesterday called one at noon with a challenge and he came straight in about 25-30 mph to 15 feet. Very exciting. Alot more fun than watching a dumb old bobber!
Snowball
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

We have had so much wind. I love calling this time of year. I ran into a retired guy out hunting coyotes today that said he loves to call but he has only been out 3 times this winter because of the wind. Unbelievable, 30-40 mph gusts daily. This is some of the best few weeks of calling the whole year. Or I should say the responses are amazing to watch this time of year.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

It seems as though the conditions will be right tonight for some night calling :D Im excited to see what some of the responses we get will be. I will be the dominant dog in the area tonight :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

It should be a good weekend of calling, hopefully we get some old pissy females to come in, kicking, scrathing, shitting, spinning circles all at the same time :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Has always been my faviorat time of the year to call. It takes a little more no how to get them killed this time of the year generally
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Prairie Ghost wrote:It takes a little more no how to get them killed this time of the year generally
It does tak alot more "know How" this time of the year! Its tough, I feel very uneducated right now!! Its time to get educated
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I might have to get out this weekend if I can. I got a new 4 wheel drive and I want to see how she fares as my new hunting vehicle. 8)

Speaking of that I better slap my "Coyote Hunter" decal on there.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I want a pic of your new truck with the decal.
Coyotes Forever