Oppps

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Daryl
coyotehunter

Oppps

Post by Daryl »

So here is how my weekend went. I was headed to Zap to do some shooting with a few friends on friday and of course I took the gravel roads there just in case. Well my girlfriend called so I pulled over on top of a hill and as we were talking I looked off to my right and on a side hill I saw a fox so of course I had to get off the phone and I grabbed my .300 Ultra Mag cause I figured it probabley had mange like the others I shot. Well with no camo on and playing the wind I could only get to 226 yards but I felt comfortable with that shot so I let one rip and right in the goodies. I walked out to look at him and of course it was a beautifully fured up fox but with a exit hole the size of a saucer. So off to zap I go. I got there late and of course all pumped up so instead of shooting saturday morning a friend of mine and I decided to go out calling and out of three stands we called one in to 33 yards and I botched the shot. Well this morning we decided to go hit one good spot our honey hole I guess you could say and we called one in there to 116 yards we just could'nt get him to cross the creek. My friend Turk took the shot and to my surprise he ran off. So out of four stands we hit we called two and missed them both. This afternoon we went out and shot our rifles and mine was like 6 inches to the right and Turks was around 4 inches to the right so after all this we should have shot our rifles first but in all we had a great time and we will just hopefully dump a few next time.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Glad to hear you got the gun shooting straight. I did the same thing on one of the best days calling that I have had in North Dakota. after missing the first 2 coyotes at the first two stands of the day I threw up a target on a fence post and found that I was shooting 7" to the left at 100 yards. I poked the next coyote that popped his head out but It didn't help the sting from missing the first two. Oh well. It happened a few times with that Burris scope I was using. I sold the scope and topped off the .22X6mm with another Leupold. Daryl are you going to be running another Balta tournament? I would like to get a tourney going in Bismarck again. It has been 5 years since the last time I had one there. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I would also be interested in the Balta tournament if there is one this year.