Scouting

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Scouting

Post by Prairie Ghost »

How much scouting in the summer would you say you do? Do you get out and locate packs in the summer by howling or using a siren? Do you travek roads looking for scat or tracks? just wondering how many people do homework in the offseason.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

man I have been scouting my butt off over here in Minnesota. Found a couple running around but no real numbers to speak of.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I just believe that everyone thinks that it is really essential to scout if you want to shoot a good deer or have a good waterfowl hunt but no one considers the benefits of scouting for predator calling just a topic i thought i would run by everyone[/b]
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yes, good point Brad. Nice to see you back have you boycotted Nodak? I haven't seen you there for a while.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

No Fallguy i've just been busy and don't have internet access right now hopefully that is going to change soon!
yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

I've been doing a bit of scouting but i get to cheat cause i'm driving around the county most days for work! Took the wife out the weekend before deer season and finally proved her wrong. she wonders why i never see anything or come home with anything. ended up calling in 4 and seeing 5. first stand called in a triple. she didn't see them til i shot one and that's about the time i saw the other two right next to it. just a little tunnel vision. it was a good time.
Just a guess on this year's thompson tourney. it's only going to be a week after deer season closes and man are there plenty of gut piles and wounded/dead deer laying around. there are going to be fat coyotes everywhere laughing at wounded jackrabbit calls. any suggestions on calling in bloated yotes? it's not mating season yet? thanks for letting me blab... Schneids
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Your right. Lots of gut piles. I've got my strategy picked out :wink:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thats why i like that contest because the numbers aren't high but it usually takes a trick up the sleeve to get anything in that time of the year so it really gets the imagination flowing on how to get some fur on the ground that weekend.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I do quite a bit of scouting. Lately I have been out trying to aquire more trapping and hunting area. Not much else to do as it has been pretty wet. Not complaining about the moisture. Got all my snares made up and my traps dyed. It's a good time to go out and visit the ranchers.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Jerry PM me your phone number please i NEED to talk to you