Male or Female??

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

If you look real close and watch enough coyotes you will see all the similarities, from mothers with their young, to males defending their turf, raising and discipline of the young, to male personality traits, after all we are all just mammals.

Understanding and incorporating what you see and hear will help you in the field.
Randy Roede
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Man I had to go back and read this tread a couple times :oops: umm women or coyotes??? got it :?
coyotehunter

Post by 5.56 »

Greetings!

I started this very topic over on another (Varmint Hunters Assoc.) website and trust me, you folks have answered more right here! Thanks!
The reason, for me trying to figure out the sex of the coyotes are this. Unless, I am in an area when the coyotes are really a major problem to a farmer for example, then I will not shoot the females in the very early Spring. First of all they have young to raise and tend to, and secondly if I allow the 'pups' to grow, then I've got more 'dogs' to kill later on or in the next year. Kinda like a supply and demand situation!
This will be my first year back hunting for about 16 years and I'm looking forward to the woods, the coyotes, and sharing info here!
Thanks for the site!

Springfield, OH
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tbush wrote:Man I had to go back and read this tread a couple times :oops: umm women or coyotes??? got it :?
Female coyotes are just like women!! They are always in control of men during breeding season, and never let us have fun when we want too!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep if you are hunting fur it seems counter productive to shoot spring coyotes. Do not worry about the pups though. There is always some other coyote willing to feed them. Coyotes readily adopt other cyotes pups.
Coyotes Forever
BigCoulee
coyotehunter

Post by BigCoulee »

I wasn't aware that they would adopt other pups. I learn something new on this site everytime I come here.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

One of the toughest parts of controling coyotes. Where most males in other species will go in and kill another males offspring. Coyotes will readily feed any other coyotes pups. They may not die for them when push comes to shove but they will feed them.
Coyotes Forever
coyotehunter

Post by 5.56 »

Coyote Hunter;

Thanks for that info! Interesting and much appreciated.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Good point Jamie, researchers and biologists have seen females not the maternal mother but a YOY female coyote from last year actuallt start lactating if the maternal mother dies.

You also see an occasional double den, an older female denning right beside another female usually a younger female, right in the same area. Thus taking over moms or kids pups.

You will also see a den with the pups split in two holes, this can be misleading at times because they will change holes as time goes on from the birthing hole to another hole that is closer to water as the pups get older till the time they may just brush up and live above ground for the most part. Distance from the water is crucial when the pups are still small but off momma's milk, not nearly important as they become more mobile. Point being a split den can be just coyotes in the middle of a move.

Coyote pups off momma's juice are very likely to survive, if you have ever raised one or tried to raise one, you will see they are some tough son of a guns and are totally different that any dog you have ever raised. The wild shines thru. They will live on bugs, manure, frogs, grain, grass, anything that has any nutruitional value at all.

I'll try and find a pic of the pup I raised for awhile, until I couldn't risk it anymore due to the developement I live in and all the kids that are around here. Wouldn't be good!!
Randy Roede
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

cool pic
Coyotes Forever
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

my wife says, "that I claim to be a know it all" just learned something today thanks guys :oops: :shock: It answers a ? a few years ago we called in some young of the year 2 were same size 1 was smaller and a male we thought runt? but now I think different very interesting 8)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post and great pic Randy :D Its amazing how a coyote can adapt :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ya and the babysitters can be the toughest coyotes to get killed. They will bring food to the den if the parents have been killed and then just go on with their bussiness so they aren't 'tied" down to that hole like the parents were. If you don't actually confirm pups are dead and hold them in your own hand THEY WILL SURVIVE! They will eat whatever they have too or someone else will come and feed them.

Great picture randy how long did you raise it?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Tbush,
You made me chuckle but still think you got it made,my wife claims she knows it all. :shock:
Like you though,I learned something here.In fact its a rare visit here I'm not learning something.