Open Reed Calls - Lips vs. Teeth

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
snakeman

Open Reed Calls - Lips vs. Teeth

Post by snakeman »

Just for some thoughts for the callers using open reed calls. Do you place your lips or your teeth against the reed on the tone barrel when blowing the call? Give this a try, but most open reed calls will blow much easier if you use your teeth against the reed rather than your upper lips.

Yes, your lips are also on the reed, but use your teeth to put pressure on the reed. when blowing the call.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Personnaly i use my teeth but that is just me
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I like teeth on the reed. I can get a better variance in the tone of the sound.
John F. Lang

Open Reed Calls-lips or teeth

Post by John F. Lang »

I've used Critr Calls since they hit the market.
They work great down here in the desert or in freezing cold but I have never used my teeth on the reed.
Guess you could call me a "Lip" man??

I see Major Boddiker every yaer at the Varmint Hunters Jamboree in Pierre and if I remember right someone asked him that question one day while I was listening.

Lips or Teeth?

Seems Major was a lip man if I remember correctly but it dosen't really matter as long as the coyote is a Critr Call coyote does it?

Good Calling

John Lang
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use my lips as well. I think that what ever works for you, Teeth or Lips, personal preference.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I talked to Major at Nationals this year and he IS a lip man
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Lip man!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I also use lips!
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
onecoyote

Post by onecoyote »

I don't have but one choice, because I don't have any teeth. :lol:

John F Lang, why don't you come up to Carrizozo and check out the predator hunting museum?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I definetly use my lips. Feels too weird to use my teeth, it think its the vibrations
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I use a little of both it depends on what call i am trying to make.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I like using lips. It feels like I can control the call more.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I was doing some night calling last night and realized I use a combination of teeth and lip calling. I start out with my teeth touching the reed, then gradually rock my lips onto it and finish with my lips touching the read during the sound. I find that I can get a precise pitch to start then mute the sound off at the end. Kind of hard to explain especially since I didn't even realized I did that until I thought about it.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

With a good open reed call, the user should be able to use his lips or teeth. There are a few of these good calls around, now if someone could just make a call with out the dead spot towards the end of reed, then we would have something...
Coyote Inc

Post by Coyote Inc »

Actually, I use both lips and teeth. If I want a high pitch squeal, I place the reed tip on a front tooth and just touch the tooth lightly. If I want a raspy rabbit squawl, I use my lips way up the reed towards the mega-phone. I guess I should mention that I use a home-made call, with a long reed board. You can also bump the reed on your tooth (I use my eye tooth) to get some good waver into it. Or place the reed on the tooth and wiggle the call. Trick is to sound different from most other hunters. You don't necessarily have to sound like a rabbit, just sound like something in a world of hurt. For the kiyi, I place my lip way up the reed board and start the cry, quickly pull the reed nearly out of your mouth and push the last bit of reed against your tooth, close your lips around that and pump the air while rotating your hand slightly back and forth to waver the cry.........Deadly! New to your forum here guys, looks like a good time.
Anyone can kill a deer, it takes a man to kill a varmint -Ben Lilly