New guy needs advice

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: New guy needs advice

Post by Tim Anderson »

Hey not gloating or boasting just telling like it is. Here is a vidio from yesterday.. Since you have some doubts I won't tell you how far the shot was made with my 20x47 Lapua.. It took 3 shots to connect and the coyote went down on the last shot, you can see in the vidio the coyote is'nt dead yet but can't move and if it could it has no where to go.. A buddy of mine with snow shoes offered to go get it for me and to finish it off if needed by the time he got there.. You will also see the crows starting to move in looking for a free meal.. I'm still working to get better vidio's so others can see how the game is played here but things don't always work out and at times I have to drop the cam and get to work or the guys will get pissed.." If anyone has any doubt's they are invited to come hunt with me and the guys and see how the game is played"...

Here is another short clip of a successfull stalk made by one of the guys. I belive he told me the ditance of the shot was around 275-300 yds running...

DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I knew this would be fun!!!!!! :lol: Let me just say that I didn't in any way mean that I didn't believe anyone. I know Tim hunts alot and shoots well. I know that my 22-6mm AI is capable of making the long shots regularly but I am not due to the fact that I am still practicing and working on my shooting. If I poke one at 500 or 550 its a little skill and alot of luck. :wink: I am also a beliver that you should always pack more gun than what you think you'll need, you might need more than you think.
I was just out for some friendly ribbing :P :P :P Not throwing the B.S. flag at any one. :) :)
"God hates a coward"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

try a little modesty Tim, it'll get you further.

as far as caliber, go with the 243 or 6mm and drop the 17rem for coyotes, it's more of a fox, woodchuck gun anyhow. ;) I guess that's why Tim is using the "30g Woodchuck" bullet.

xdeano

Oh, and i'm pretty sure I know how the game is played.
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

for some reason, that has a feel of "road hunting". :P
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

yeah I guess that's how the game is played. :lol: Maybe i do need some schooling...

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Actually the hunting takes place out in the field, if a coyote happens to make it to a blocker sitting on the "Road" its gonna get shot... Not many hunters can hunt them the way we do and be successfull at it.. Things are pretty simple here if a coyote dose'nt come to a call then its gonna be hunted down. I can call coyotes or I can hunt them, please excuse me while I go beat on my chest.. :D

Some people believe that calling is the only ethical way of getting coyotes, and some think its trapping, or chaseing them with dogs or shooting them from a plane. I don't think it matters as long as any laws are'nt broken to do so.
We don't use snowmobiles or ATV's, planes and we don't chase them down with a truck. We hunt and stalk them and use blockers sitting on a road or close by.. If you think you need to judge me on how I get them maybe you should take a look at what you do.. If you want to bring ethic's into the picture I believe its un-ethical to shoot coyotes with a cal. larger than .224.. :mrgreen:

Edit to add.. We had a guy in our crew that passed on this summer, he was up there in age and suffered from emphazema so he had to carry a small oxegen tank where ever he went. His hunting days was pretty much over years ago other than sitting in a tree stand hunting deer.. Coyote hunting here gave life for him a new meaning and he relized he did'nt have to spend the rest of it in some coffee shop talking about the old days or sitting at home waiting to die..

Even at his old age he still had the eyes of a eagle and could pick a coyote out on the move a long ways off and see them before others could. He had a good understanding of how a coyote thinks when under pressure and new where he wanted to set up as a blocker. Years ago he used a 223 for hunting and I talked him into getting a 204 which shot flatter and faster. It took him a spell to get used to it but once he did things really clicked for him, he went from 5 coyotes a year to almost 20 on avr. and his best day was a thriple with the first coyote at 100 yds and as far as 300 for the third one.. Most of the coyotes he shot were hard chargers trying to make a get away, very seldom would he get a shot at one standing still. As for the rest of the crew about half of them are old enough to be youre father or grand father and one of the stalkers is 62 years old and well walk most guys under the table.

If anyone thinks it so easey they should try it some time and see how they do, oh and forget about useing bi-pods or shooting sticks you won't have time in most cases or won't be able to see the coyote from the ground. And if you are a blocker you don't always get the easey 100-200 yds shots and a guy better learn to shoot or you are going to get a ass chewing by the stalkers or you don't get a call when they need another blocker..
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Wrong board, this is the coyote "HUNTING" board, not coyote killing. You should be the last one talking ethics on calibers.
Why are you changing the subject?

xdeano
Highvel
coyotehunter

Post by Highvel »

How much longer is the 22-243 compared to the 22-250?
I have a rifle that has quite a bit of throat erosion and am interested in maybe trying this out, right now I get great accuracy but the C.O.A.L. prevents me from loading over one in the mag.
How difficult is it to ream a new chamber and what am I looking at for a price, if you dont mind?

Sorry about hijacking the thread but it sounds very interesting!!!
Be afraid; be very afraid, the Democrat's are Desperate!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

With my reamers the difference is about .120. If I'm understanding you right, when you seat your bullets so that they're close to the rifling, the rounds are to long to fit your mag? The only way to fix that would be to set the barrel back and rechamber to 22-250 again. Cost for running your chamber out to 22-243 shouldn't be too bad. 100 bucks or less I'm guessing. Setting the barrel back requires a bit more machining than rechambering. It would be a bit more expensive. A guess would be around 150 bucks. These are just guesses. I can't say what the smith in your area is going to charge. Rates can vary drastically.
Sounds like you have a pretty short mag. What kind of rifle are you shooting? By the time you're done buying dies and brass for a new round, going the setback route would probably be cheaper. It made sense for me because I already had these things. Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't respond quicker. I just noticed your post.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

How much longer is the 22-243 compared to the 22-250?
I have a rifle that has quite a bit of throat erosion and am interested in maybe trying this out, right now I get great accuracy but the C.O.A.L. prevents me from loading over one in the mag.

22-243 is about the same length as a standard 243 round, but also depends on what bullets you use for total length...
When rechambering a barrel with throat erosion you will have one problem and thats the throat. The pilot bearing on a reamer rests in the throat area of the barrel, if the erosion is bad then the pilot bearing is going to bounce around some, you won't get a straight chamber job. Most gunsmith that know what they are doing will check this area for play and if its too much will recomend you useing a new barrel instead. No garentee on the chamber job or how it will shoot when done... If it don't work youre out of the 175.00.. As for C.O.L. the smith can shorten the throat so you can seat a bullet back into the case farther and still have the bullet close to the lands, about .030 and it will fit nicely in the mag.. I have some of my rifles set up with zero free bore so I can increase C.O.L. as the throat starts to wear and still be able to fit the rounds in the mag..
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Tim,
Most reamers have interchangeable bushings. Meaning you can use a bushing that is the proper diameter for individual barrels. I'm sure its possible to cut a crooked chamber but a guy would have do do something drastically wrong to make it happen. Why? Because the barrel is turning, not the cutting tool. What normally happens when a reamer is out of alignment with the center of the barrel is the reamer cuts heavier on one side than the other and you end up with a chamber that is larger in diameter than the reamer used to cut it. The chamber is still concentric(in line with the bore), its just one or two thou larger in diameter than it should have been. I'm sure the scenario you mentioned can happen, but I don't think I could make it happen intentionally.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
Highvel
coyotehunter

Post by Highvel »

Thanks, the rifle is a Ruger MkII with a 25-1/4" stainless heavy barrel.
Loading 55gr Vmax I have a C.O.A.l. of 2.525", shoots very good using 34.2 gr of IMR-4064 and Rem 9 1/2 primer.
Shooting anything at 2.40 or less just doesnt shoot very well! :roll:
Be afraid; be very afraid, the Democrat's are Desperate!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Glad we could help.

leadbiscuit