.204 or .22-250 for coyotes

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Yote
coyotehunter

.204 or .22-250 for coyotes

Post by Yote »

Hi, new to the site. Wondering what you guys though about .204 or .22.250 for coyotes. Also what rifle, looking at kimber ,cz, savage predator hunter max1, cooper (not sure if it is worth it $$), and maybe a custom rifle (not sure if it is worth it $$). Might be stupid questions but never know till you ask, thanks in advance.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: .204 or .22-250 for coyotes

Post by bucksnbears »

seems the .204 is 50/50 on likes,dislikes. i know none that dispute the effectivness of a 250
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

22-250, but I have never tried a .204. Hear great things about both guns. I shoot a CZ 550 in 22-250 and a custom 22-6mm Ackley. I would go custom if I had the money. :)
"God hates a coward"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Theres a reason the .22-250 is the "varmint" caliber all others are compared to. :wink:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Either one is good just choose youre bullets wisely..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Have shot them both a lot and like them both. I think the 250 is probably better overall go custom if you can afford it. My 204 is a CZ and i love it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I've got both. If the wind is blowing much leave the 204 in the pickup. Otherwise I like it alot, but the knockdown power and lack of run offs is were the 22-250 shines. If you check out some of my videos on here I think all the coyotes are shot with a .204. 40gr Hornady V-max. That is my partners gun of choice.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

I have and use both.... but like my 250 better cause its a field weight gun, and my 204 is a bull barreled......

If I was to do it over again I would get a 204 in a "light" gun and use it all the time.....but the 250 has more options for bullets... but flat and fast wins IMOP
If its good enough; Better is achievable
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

A good question and some good answers. Here's my take. On frontal and broadside shots I think either caliber would work fine. If your shooting at yotes that are running or facing away from you I would take the 22-250 over the 204. With heavier bullets the 22-250 will hit harder. Any of the rifles you named would work fine. I would probably go for the savage. If you decide to go custom, use a remmy 700. Just about every smith knows how to make them shoot. Whether or not a custom rifle is worth the money depends on the smith you choose to do the work. A properly built custom rifle will be less finicky about ammunition, and more acurrate than the vast majority of factory rifles. In order to get the most out of any rifle, you will need to feed it handloads.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have a custom .204 and .22-.250 AI.............I love both guns. I would not hesitate a 500 yard shot at a coyote with the .250 but would not consider it a option with the .204. I shoot the 35 gr bergers out of my .204 and it is super accurate and hits hard..........Great for fox and prairie dogs. Not in my opion a great choice for coyotes. Go Custom or Go Home :!: :!: :!: Sorry I could not resist.
Coyotes Forever
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i have two 22-250's that work well on coyotes. i have never used a 204 but know several people that have them and like them. the 22-250 is a bigger bullet that handles wind better then the small 204 bullet. and since i live in wyo wind is a major consideration. i just recently got a 243 because its a bigger and harder hitting bullet. as far as guns it totally depends on your budget. for the price of a kimber or cooper you are looking at getting into the money of having a custom gun so why not go custom. however if you are not looking at spending as much savage rifles are good cheap rifles. howa is another brand that is decent priced for the gun you get. my new 243 is a howa with the green overmolded stock. the rubber stock gives a different look and feel that you may like or hate. go to a gun store and handle several rifles and pick one that fits.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

As Tim mentioned, much has to do with the bullet weight and construction - There is always the ultimate bullet weight/ velocity relationship for any caliber used for a particular game animal, so:

1) What's the ultimate weight & construction for cleanly killing a coyote?
2) What rifle cal/ twist rate... is able to deliver that "ultimate" bullet most effectively (speed, stability...)?

(If custom 204) Depending on the weight and contours you prefer, difficult to piece a better custom than a CZ 527 Varmint or Sako 85 (or 75) Varmint.

Thoughts on leveraging a custom (204):

~Consider action scale, micro or standard? - Micro has approx 30% shorter bolt cycle.

~Think ahead about a 204 barrel with a faster 1/10 or 1/11 twist to shoot the emerging generation of 45 to 55 grain bullets (Hornady, Berger). The aerodynamics of the .20 cal bullets in 40 to 55 are superior to any .22 centerfire while .22 cal shines best over 60 grains.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good points Pilgrim
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Pilgrim wrote:As Tim mentioned, much has to do with the bullet weight and construction - There is always the ultimate bullet weight/ velocity relationship for any caliber used for a particular game animal, so:

1) What's the ultimate weight & construction for cleanly killing a coyote?
2) What rifle cal/ twist rate... is able to deliver that "ultimate" bullet most effectively (speed, stability...)?

(If custom 204) Depending on the weight and contours you prefer, difficult to piece a better custom than a CZ 527 Varmint or Sako 85 (or 75) Varmint.

Thoughts on leveraging a custom (204):

~Consider action scale, micro or standard? - Micro has approx 30% shorter bolt cycle.

~Think ahead about a 204 barrel with a faster 1/10 or 1/11 twist to shoot the emerging generation of 45 to 55 grain bullets (Hornady, Berger). The aerodynamics of the .20 cal bullets in 40 to 55 are superior to any .22 centerfire while .22 cal shines best over 60 grains.
Does the .204 have the case capacity to push those heavier bullets effectively though?

Most load data ive seen uses 30-40 grain bullets pushed anywhere from 3500-4100 fps. I would imagine 40-50 grain pills would be substantially less.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

BBJ

Does the 204 (assuming .204Ruger) have the case capacity to push effectively?

A 40 at 3900 fps? A 45 at 3650 fps? As far as 50 & 55 go, and assuming similar velocities as a .223, then we can expect 3500 fps.

Other:

For coyotes, build/ buy a rifle according to a bullet (or specialized range of bullets). Ballistics favor the .20 while the better variety of bullets favors the .22-250. If you or I want to shoot a screaming .20 cal 50-55 grain with up to .38BC I'd look into a .20BR. If a screaming 60-70 grain, a .22 wildcat. I do prefer a .20 that shoots screaming 32-40 gr bullets, so I own and shoot and hunt with a .204 Ruger.

There is no (honest) disagreement that a rifle that shoots bullet weights from 32-40 grains with BCs exceeding .20 at rates of 3900-4200fps isn't more than needed to snuff a coyote under 500 yards with authority. If there's any limitation a 204 has (for coyotes), it's a philosophy about (coyote) bullet construction (terminal), or I misunderstand what already exists (I must say that the 39 BlitzKing is very close to the best of most worlds - Just too explosive). Men that design or market bullets don't necessarily equate to those who go beyond the surface and kill alot of stuff according to a broader variety of variables, consider hides... In any case, the current thinking allows room for examination, or defer to the better expert.

A brief Civics lesson:
Used to be more often exclusive to the practitioner inventing & creating the most ideal combination of responses to a need. In recent decades, the marketplace falls in line to an increasingly naive subordination of sorts of our better judgment to marketing people and committees etc that respond according to majority appeal is always best (see 'Democratic Fallacy'). Specific to hunting, what the majority of pork&beans (Dcoy's term) hunters have to say doesn't serve the 10% producing 90% of the experiences. The 10% demand the mean between DRT at the reasonably expected max distance w/ minimal hide damage. Problem is, the 90% buy 90% of the ammo. A great bullet maker a mob does not make.