Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
HotDogg

Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

Post by HotDogg »

I have a few question about Coyote Calling and Hunting.

1. when is the best time to hunt?
2. what season gets the most luck?
3. does anyone else use the 22.LR with Hollow-Point shells? If so, where are the definent kill zones?
4. what order of calls should I use? (Such as howl or pup distress)
5. does anyone else hear hunt in north-west ohio?
6. any other special tactics or habits should I use? Should I use scent blocker?
7. how far should I park my vehicle from the hunting spot?
8. is there a certain way I should approach the spot?
9. and where are the best spots to hunt, and when I hunt a spot, how long should I take to return, for everything to settle down?

thanks!
Every dog has his day
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Ok what you are asking is excellent questions. All the newbies would be all over reading the responses. However you should narrow your questions to one a post. You have asked everyone here to give you the magic formula to hunt,stalk, and kill the wiley dog. I am curious have you ever tried to call in one? If not, I suggest buying videos magazines books and everything else you can possibly get your hands on that answers all the questions except one. How do I call one in where I live and at what time. This comes with trial and error. I have called probably 20 stands alltogether so by no means am I an expert dog hunter. The one time I acctually seen one at 400 yards plus he had snuck in behind me down wind. I read a magazine at work today that stated"you see one in ten you shoot". There is no way to tell how many I have not seen come in. So in short If it can be seen hide it. If it can be heard"not naturally there" Quiet it and call alot you will find the code for your particulliar area.

I have heard and seen videos of hunters shooting out in the open standing up and I have seen them get busted at 300 yards repositioning for the approach.

If you get answers they may or may not work but try them all, what will it hurt. Good luck and get out and call.
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

I have tried calling them in but, the owner of the land we hunt on thought he had a coyote caught in his trap. I have practiced and practiced calling. I've got it down, I just need coyotes.
Every dog has his day
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

the first thing I'll say is bag the 22 LR!!!!!!! Not a coyote round at all. You would have to call every coyote in to 50 yds or less and hit'em sqare between the eyes. That would be your only kill zone. It wouldn't hardly sting one anywhere else.
As for stand location, go in down wind from the direction you want to call. Stay as hidden and quiet as possible.
Generally the best times to call are early morning and late afternoon but you can call them any time of day depending on the coyotes mood.
If you'll go back and study all of the old posts you'll find all of this info and then some. There are alot of experienced guys on this site and quite a few that do this for a living. Keep asking questions and taking the advice and it will all come together. I know that it helped me in leaps and bounds.
My advice for a coyote gun would be anything from a 22-250 to 50 BMG. This last comment will start another Tim Anderson rant but he's a good sport so have at it Tim.
"God hates a coward"
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

HotDogg wrote:I have tried calling them in but, the owner of the land we hunt on thought he had a coyote caught in his trap. I have practiced and practiced calling. I've got it down, I just need coyotes.
I didnt mean to sound condesending by any means.

How many acres are you hunting?
There are many variables. The wind should be in your face at some degree. The call should be sounded for 20-30 seconds then quiet for a minute or two. Then resound the call. Allways attemp to gain a high vantage point with cover behind you. Dont sillouette your self in the sun light. If one call dont work mix it up. IE they dont answer to rabbit in distress try a wood pecker sound, or coyote pup hurt. All these calls depend on the time of the year and weather at the time, wind snow rain ect. The truck issue if you can see it so can they. I have the luxury of hunting miles of land known to produce, I am just inexperienced on how to use all the tools to produce for me. Like I said I am no expert. Check with neighboring farmers and land owners to gain more ground to hunt. Approach with the idea that you are helping to maintain saftey of the crop/livestock. A braisen coyote will snatch a calf as it drops. I suggest changing positions after 15-20 minutes but in some cases paitience pays off. You could also try a decoy like a stuffed rabbit or a flapping woodpecker, fairly cheap to attain. I am still learning too. So I hope some of this helps. There are just too many variables with out being with you to accurately answer what to do and what you may be doing wrong
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes or anything and I damn sure don't know it all. But I am also confident and have done it to know that I can generally kill at least a dog a day when calling.That is if I do things right. (i,e; locate the coyotes, plan my stands and use the right sounds.) You are making this harder than it has to be. Get in without them seeing, hearing or smelling you, sit down, blow on a call and wait. The only time I use a decoy is in the spring and summer and those are my decoy dogs for control work.
I almost forgot, welcome to the site.
Last edited by DustyC on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"God hates a coward"
HotDogg

Re: Coyote Hunting Tactics and Calls

Post by HotDogg »

sorry.... I was just a bit frustrated about the "bag the 22LR". I just need to know, do I need scent blocker, what gives you the most luck (minus your gun aspect) and what to avoid. Also, could you give me a list of instructions of what to call for how long, when to change calls, and how to keep them coming. I enjoy the 22. I've killed a variety of animals with that, and I won't part with it.
Every dog has his day
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

No one has asked or told you to part with your 22LR. All that was said is that it is not as efficient as other firearms at the task you are partaking. Frustration and anger are sometimes part of our sport.

At this time of year distessed cottontail will work as well as various coyote vocalisations. From what I have read, on this site, the locator(howling) will work but only to locate at this point. Not as a come here call. I allways get on stand and sit for 5 minutes and listen. Once the birds and squirels get back at it I call a distress sound for about 30 seconds. About half volume. Like you were yelling across the house. Then wait 2 to 3 minutes. If you see no movement try again the same sounds but get a little louder. Wait. The last time or so Blast it like the rabbit is getting his guts ripped out and is doing the holy !!!! let go of me scream. Like the counties around will send the cavalry. Then wait. Work back down in volume. No matter the call this is the steps I use. Kind of generic but I have seen it work. Videos are a great tool. I have used an MP3 player and an amplified speaker setup so that the sound was the same and no wavering as I ran out of wind prior to passing out. I could turn up or down the volume that way.

Once the coyote is coming in a squeak like a mouse, will sometimes keep em coming when they get hung up. Most generally I have seen the sound playing on the e-call bring them all the way in.

Remember the light is in east in the morning.....so on, Keep it behind you and the wind in your face. High winds just mean to get loud and out there takes alot of volume. If the light and the wind are not right find a new spot where it is right or make it a day/night (depending) spot and keep notes on what worked and didnt.

Lots to Cover and I hope it will answer some of the questions. Trust me I dont have anyone to go with me and show me what I am doing wrong either. Alot of what I learn is by trial and error, and lots of reading and the most important fact of life is that if you never listen you will never hear.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hotdog and Tobey; you guys sound new to this sport and this is the place to get advice and help, with that being said. STICK TO THE BASICS!!! To start with, get a couple hand calls and go make some noise, then shoot what comes at you....
You don't need all the bells and whistels top kill coyotes, but DustyC is right get a bigger gun. Yes you can kill them with that, but do you want to put all the time and effort into calling and then have a coyote run off because your flinging a 22LR at them...... Keep the wind in your face or at your side, stay out of site as much as possible, and get out and make stands!!!!! Time of day don't mean shit if you are sitting there not doing anything else anyway, GO HUNTING!!!!! You might think some guys (i.e. me) are being dinks about some stuff, but they started somewhere to... Im not a expert, don't claim to be (proved that this weekend at the classic) But I was there, and hunted in all conditions this weekend and didn't give up.....

Some guys hunt completely different then there common hunting partner does, and they both kill dogs.... About the time you think you know where or how they are going to respond YOUR WRONG!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Go make some stands and see how they react in your area. I always tell my brother when he askes me if I heard the fishing report on where they are catching walleye, that I don't wait for the reports, I make them... Go out and hunt, stick to the basics and learn from there.........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Opti max you pegged me I am new. 20 stands in and no dogs. I know the frustration. However I still go and try. Bout all you can do. I wouldnt dream of even trying to enter the classic. Talk about a bird under water. I dont belong there. YET!!!.

I was merely trying to convey what I have learned. No offense to him. He sounds deseratley pissed about something and just wants it to happen to much. Trying to hard only equals failure. If you dont enjoy just going then stay in and admit defeat. But enjoy it and see something new everytime.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Like I said, not being a dink but start with the basics.... There are days we make almost 20 stands in a day, and there are time we go 10-20-30 stands and never call one up.... then you go 5 for 5, hell I went 9 in a row one day, thought I was king shit.... two days later I went out and never seen one all day... Start with the basics and learn from your screw ups. Dont get tunnel vision and don't get in a routine, be willing to adapt to the area your hunuting..... I shouldn't give advice, I'm just a jackwagon with a gun and hand call that would rather be in a pasture in the middle of winter freezing my arse off then in a strip club getting boobbies rubbed in my face..... :lol: :lol:
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

:lol: opti, you crack me the f--- up!!!! I didn't mean to piss you off but your frustration will only grow if you use a 22. Ask anyone on this sight if that is a good cal for coyotes. I know some have been killed with it, but it's like hunting water buffalo with a BB gun. I think prarie ghost made a post about what his 22-6mm did to a coyote and it still ran off. Opti gave you some great advice and he's probably better than what he gives himself cfedit for.
"God hates a coward"
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey thanks Dusty :) Here is a story I got from a couple of really good guys I talked to this weekend at the classic. They called up a coyote, and it stoped around 250/300 the guy had a good shot and wack down it went, dead....... They were just at the start of there stand so they keeped calling. After about 10 minutes the closer guy gets up to go get him, and the damn coyote starts pushing himself with his back legs, goes a little bit, get his front feet under him and away he went, there was alittle more shooting at him as he struggled to get over the hill, and they never did get the little bastard!!! :shock:
I beleve they were shooting .22-250ish or bigger wish I could recall, anyway the point is they are TOUGH!!! Like DustyC brought up about PG's story, don't under gun yourself......
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Heres another story about how tough they are. The guy fromn Wy that hunted the classic by himself is called Rory. He is a great gut and hunts hard. The reason he hunted by himself is because his sorry ass partner (ME) stood him up to work on getting a job in the predator control industry. :D The story is, last year he and I were hunting a local tournament. Our day started out well. We called in a single and a bouble on our first stand. I missed the single as he was hauling ass away from the double that was coming in. They came right to me laying prone on a hill (within 5 yards). I tried stopping them at 100 on down but they just kept coming. All I could do is shoot from the hip. I winged him with my 22-6mm AI and Rory hit him with his 22-250. He laid there while we called the other dog back for maybe another 4-5 shots a piece until Rory hit him about 175 yds out on the run. The coyote took off over a hill and I went and retrieved the first dog while Rory went and tracked the second dog. He tracked it for over 1/2 a mile before he ran out of blood. Figuring he just winged it we took off and went and hunted until noon. Things really died down so we went and tracked that coyote some more. We finally found him at least a mile from where we first saw him. He was dragging a leg and still trying to out run us. I nailed him with my 12 ga #4 buck 3" mag 2 times at close proximity before he finally died. :shock: :shock: :shock: All I am trying to do is show how tough a coyote really is. If you hit him with that 22LR and don't kill him, You will have hell ever getting him or any of his buddies he's running with to ever come in again.
"God hates a coward"
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey Dusty; spent some time talking to Rory, and you right he is a good guy.. Sounds like he went out and did your team proud anyway!!!!