Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
HotDogg

Re: Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

Post by HotDogg »

Sorry guys, and Especially sorry Dusty C. Now, I am In Jr. High school, and I want to make this a fun sport and hobby, I've been watching the truth 6 calling all coyotes, and I can Imitate all of Randy's calls except for the one that sounds of an excaderating kiss. I'm pretty sure it's a mouse squeker, but I only have the Hot dogg and the Ki-Yi. Does anyone know how to make the sound. I want your guy's opinions on this one, I'll listen, I've saved $400, and would it be better to buy a 30-06 or a 12 Gauge shotgun? Who else hunts in ohio? My 16 Gauge is a priceless antique (Nearly 70 years old) and I borrow the rifle from my dad. He's an excellent marksman, and he taught me everything he knows about shooting. He can unload the shells in the .22 faster than I can! shoot, if I don't have the money, I'll use Nitro-gliseren! :lol: Is there I could PM one of you guys with audio attachments of my coyote calls to see if they sound real enough. Probably, no-one wants to touch with a 37 1/2 foot cattle prod. Heck, I want something to do. shooting ground hogs, starlings, pigeons and crows is getting slower than mollasses on a cold day! With your guy's help, I'll have more fun than a pig in a mud pond!
Every dog has his day
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Hotdogg - I have a question on why a 30-06? Why not look at all the calibers? Let us know what other hunting you can do with a rifle (list them all), and we can hopefully choose a caliber that will match most of them if it is legal in your state. In my personal opinon, i would stick with a rifle, because you can shoot them close and far with a rifle where as a shotgun your are limited to close ranges.

For the kiss sound he is doing, just use your lips, not the call. Some people suck on the back of there hand to make that sound. it's the high pitch sound a mouse makes that they are after. If you would like a really cheap squeaker, just buy the cheapest stuffed dog toy you cand find and cut the squeaker out of it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

Pretty much, I can only hunt Coons, Hogs, Coyotes, squirells, rabbits, and muskrats with a rifle, unless I would go on an illegal duck hunt with it! The shotgun can hunt all. Do you do much calling yourself? Someone posted earlier and said the 243 wasn't big enough, the 7mm was too big, and If you guys are correct, the 30-06 would be the best choice to kill one.
Every dog has his day
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

In my opinion, the best caliber from what you stated you can hunt with a rifle, would be a .243. The reason i say this is because you can shoot coon, muskrat, rabbit and squirrels with a .22 that you stated you already have; you can shoot rabbits, squirrels and coon with your 16 gauge if you like. Coyotes in my opinion has 3 obvious calibers that most guys look at: .223, .22-250, and a .243. The main reason i said a .243, is because you have a very large selection of bullet ranges, and should be able to take any pig that you would have in ohio out with one. When you get older, you would be able to head out west and shoot deer, antelope, and prairie dogs with your .243. The only animals that a 30-06 would outperform the .243 in my opinion would be bear/moose size game. If you are going on those hunts from ohio, you will have enough money to buy another rifle. I would look at the savage line of guns for what you have to work with for money.

Yes i do call coyotes. I shoot a .22-250 for coyotes and fox; and would not hesitate to shoot a deer or antelope with that gun either. Shot placement is key no matter what caliber you shoot.

What caliber would you other guys recommend, that would be off the shelf? I am assuming if he can barely afford another gun, that he doesn't reload - so keep it something you can buy at your general sporting goods store.
Chris Lyon

HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

You know what, because you use it, I will consider a .22-250. How much bigger is that than a .22 and what does the -250 stand for?
Every dog has his day
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Savage makes an excelent .223. But I agree the 243 being an all around gun. Lots of guys around here kill tons of deer with one. The 250 is a good one too. A buddy of mine swears by it. I happened upon an old savage .222 ,Man it is a nice shooter. Hard to find bullets and can get expensive. The 243 is a good gun with many uses, not sure on coons though thats alot of pelt damage.

Are you wanting to sell the hides or in it for the sport?

The sounds are a good thing to learn. I downloaded mine and put them on an mp3 player and practice that way.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

.17 pred!!!! right Tim?? J/K and no I wont carry your gun, I have a hard enough time with my own

I vote .243!!!!!!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

I meant would anyone want to hear recordings of my calls to debate whether they are real enough.
Every dog has his day
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Found this site check it out hope it helps...http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

HotDogg wrote:You know what, because you use it, I will consider a .22-250. How much bigger is that than a .22 and what does the -250 stand for?

The .22 you stated that you have, is a rim fire cartridge. The .22 calibers i talked about .223, and .22-250 are centerfir cartridges, which require a primer to be hit by a firing pin to be ignited and push the bullet. I honestly do not know what the 250 stands for on a .22-250 :oops: Im sure someone on here that is a bigger gun nut than i am can answer that for you. Just because i shoot a .22-250 doesn't mean that you have to. I chose the .243 for you, because it is by far one of the most all around calibers that will suit you very well for the animals you can harvest with it. if i go to wyoming to hunt antelope, i can't use my .22-250, but i can use a .243 to hunt with. Another reason i would stay away from a 30-06 at your age, is because of the kick that gun has. I don't care how tough or manly you think you are; when you start flinching from shooting too large of a gun, you will develop really bad habits and miss more animals than you hit. I am speaking from first hand experience with that. I still to this day have a slight flinching problem when i shoot from shooting large guns at a you age :evil:
Chris Lyon

1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

I normally shoot a 25-06 or a 300 wssm for deer but have shot 8 or so deer with my 22-250. I usually use it to fill my extra doe tags although my largest buck to date fell to my 22-250. I have never lost a deer yet..BUT... I believe that it is on the light side for deer. I have dropped a couple in their tracks but I have also had to track a hundred or so yards with very minimal blood even with boiler room bullet placement.
My opinion is that a .243 is a better deer/coyote/hog rifle.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I may be mistaken but I believe that the "250" in 22-250 comes from what it is. a .250-3000 Savage necked down to .22 caliber. As I understand it, the .250 is the cartridge and the "3000" comes from the fact that is was the first round to break the 3000fps mark back in 1915 which was pretty much unheard of then. You can look it up in the Sierra reloading manual.

Jaybic

P.S. Savage/stevens makes a new budget line of Savages called the "Axis"...used to be called the "edge......and i seen them on sale a cabelas for 259.00 brand new!!!!!!!!! If your in Jr high, you have a bike, an IPOD, a Wii, an XBOX360 and a bunch of other useless fattening, mind-numbing junk just like we all did. Walk in the door of the first pawn shop you can find and in 10 minutes you will have enough money for that gun. Get it in .223 which is proabably the cheapest and easiest to find caliber around. A bushnell banner(toughest most reliable 40.00 scope on the planet and 20.00 worth of rings and bases and every coyote with in 300 yards is in trouble if you take the time to practice. As Coyote hunter said at the "Classic", take this gun, one hand call, go out make some noice and shoot whatever runs at ya....unless its the neighbors dog that is.

Good luck young man and one bit of advice, no offense intended. If you are not sure of what you are talking about its better to keep hold of your tongue and open your ears. I was told once that "it is better to be silent and thought to be stupid than to open your mouth and prove it." I didnt get it then. I do now.

Happy hunting.

Jaybic
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Very well said Jaybic!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

.17 pred!!!! right Tim?? J/K and no I wont carry your gun, I have a hard enough time with my own
No LeviM, I'm useing the 20x47 Lapua at the moument.. Some said my 17 was to small so I moved up to a bigger cal... :lol: :lol: :lol: You don't have to worry about carrying two guns, you can leave youre's in the truck.. :D :D :lol: :lol:

Edit to add. Nice to see everyone is getting along finally..
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

:lol: :lol: lychoch (WHATEVER) i know what the primer is, I took the dang class in '08. Don't take me for an inexperienced hunter, just don't ask me which ends the bullets come out of! My dad will try to get a new rifle (a possible .270) from Cabelas. He doesn't mind getting the rifle, it's just he has nowhere to store it! The scope will be optianal, he believes in a slightly low power scope, so when the coyote gets hit and runs, he can refocus the scope without lossing him.
Every dog has his day