Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

Post by Optimax90 »

I shoot a .22-250AI with 50gr. v-max and 90percent of my coyotes you couldn't find a hole if it wasn't for blood or unless you skined it out....

Dude; you a begininer and you want more of a CHALLANGE :lol: :lol: :lol: How many coyotes have you called in under 50 yards....?? On purpose that is... I have shoot plenty under 50 yards, and half of them snuck in on me, and I didn't coax them!! Hell I didn't even know they were there :o :shock:

Im telling you, your UNDER GUNNED and are being a dink about it!!! And yes, Im an ass right back but you ask for my advice and then tell me im silly for wanting to blow fur..... I'm the first guy that wants to "BLOW FUR" then i know done a good penatrating job... Be reallistic and listen to a few of these guys, I think they kow what they are talking about!!!!!!!!!!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Listen hotdogg, you are talking like some sort of hot-shit little hunter now that you have someone to agree with you. Read all of the other posts on cal's and hopefully you'll drop your arrogance and ignorance and see that I am just trying to help you out. I shoot a 22-250 with 52 gr Berger Match Varmints for bullets. My entrance hole isthe size of that bullet and generally never comes out. I shot 2 coyotes over the weekend, 1 running straight away at 120 yrds and tagged it dead center in the back of the head. NO EXIT HOLE!!!!! The scond one I hit broadside at 65 yds square in the necessaries and had a fragment out hole. My other gun is a 22-6mm Ackley Improved. I use it in the summer for control work when the fur isn't good. It will leave a out hole the size of a mack truck.(you can see the fur fly through the scope :mrgreen: ) I would not reccomend a .243 or 22-6mm for a fur gun.
You act like I'm out to steer you away from coyote hunting. I"M NOT!!!! All I want to do is help to head you in the right direction. I don't want you on here posting about all the coyotes you wound so the freakin hippies have more ammo to use against us. ETHICS!!!!! :x You talk about being a better sportsman and calling them in closer, let me tell you this, sometimes they don't come closer. Just how it is.
Go back and read about a friend to everyone on this site,1shooter and see what everyone did to help him get headed in the right direction. Thats because he came in here with an open mind and listened and didn't act like a sexual intelectual!!!!!!!!!!!(A F---'N KNOW IT ALl) Now the guy can trap and call coyotes and is still a great guy to bullshit with.I'm not saying that he learned everything from this site, but it had to have helped.
Good luck to ya.
"God hates a coward"
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

Dusty C, have you used these guns, do you hunt in Ohio, how long have you been hunting, and how many people have you slaughtered like this? You know I WANT to use my guns, who doesn't want a challenge? If you want to use combacks, save it for politics. I'm not here to debate whether I'm a %$#%% or not! I'm staying with tim, and why, why, why, would I want a Heavy Rifle for just coyote hunting?! I'm not spending $300 for a freaking rifle I will barely use! I can spend the same on 3 boxes on Bulk .22 Lr Mag. hollow point shells with 2,100 shells in each box! I'd rather spend the same on ammunition for these two guns, than buy another gun and not have enough for ammunition! If you want to try to burn me on that, go right ahead, I'm ready for child-ish come-backs, I'm sticking with what I have! I'm happy with what I have, I'm not getting another rifle unless I move to michigan! Don't give me this crap on my UNDER GUNNED tactics. I can get the same information from a Anti-Gun activist! But, he would want me to NOT hunt. Tim gave me the info I needed, I'm sticking with it!
Every dog has his day
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Going hunting now. but I"LL BE BACK to try and clean this mess up... :( :evil: :evil: :evil:
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

i have slaughteredover 200 this way you arrogant little jack ass!!!!!!! Don't start shit when you have no clue what you're talking about! You give beginners a bad name and maybe you should just stick to shooting wood chucks and ground squirrels. When you get ready to man up you have an open invitation to come to Wyoming and we'll just see how your piss ant 22 and 16 ga hold up. I was willing to share what I have been taught with you, but now I wish you would just go away. You are the one talking loje an anti gun activist. Go away until you can come back with the right attitude.
"God hates a coward"
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

I am done with this. CALL EM IN CLOSER. Call ONE in first. Who gives a damn what rifle he uses, if he dont have em coming in. Tim made the point of what he had as a youth. Then he UPGRADED. This guy will not consider it. Let him fail then he will come back and ask for help. Maybee he might kill one but he will miss and injure more then he killls. The 22 is a light load tooooo light for a thicker skinned coyote WE KNOW THIS, HE WONT GET IT. THREE PAGES OF HE DONT GET IT.

Good luck hot dog you will need it
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

You know, I was willing to upgrade, but iwanted to stick with what I have. I don't have $300, and I don't have the time to save for it. The way the economy is, I'll have t save for years get a new rifle. By then, I will be graduated, and spending my life in the service. I would rather coyote hunt, I'm sorry I $%^^#& you guys off, I just don't want to be told I'm a worthless hunter, and Dusty, I know that if I went out to Wyoming I would be breathing trough a straw if you got a hold of me. I'm going hunting saturday and I'll be using the guns I have but, I will be upgrading to a possible 30-06 for $300. If I play my cards right, and use your guy's advise, I'll be a great hunter like you guys. I'm done fighting, now I'll be fighting the coyotes, i'm not going to be fighting with you guys. I'm listening now, I know I was (and still am) a jerk, and I'll listen, Tim doesn't need to clear this up, because I'll clear myself up, I was wrong, It's just, money doesn't exactly fall like the snow in january, I'm not the best hunter, but I know where to hunt. Write me off if you want, I deserved it, I'm just ticked ( not at you guys, don't ask) If you want, I'll leave you guys alone. I'll go smoewere else. :(
Every dog has his day
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

It is not that we want you to go away. We know the tricks( well I am as new as you, so they know the tricks). I applaud any effort made. The 16 will get it done, just requires getting them in closer. The best teacher in the world is nature it's self. Get out and call alot. I have a post to add from yesterday. I missed,damnit. But we want you to succeed. It takes time and paitence. Alot of paitience. With the attitude you just had on the last post there will be sceptics of you for a while. Just to tell you. We want to hear you succesess and your failures. We learn best from both. Godd luck

I didnt write you off. Use what you got, Borrow what you can. Get out and hunt. Bullets for a .223 are reasonably cheap and in this economy and in the dead of winter shoveling snow or anything you can do to make a buck will be one closer to the gun of your choice. Remembering that the 30-06 is the other extreme of the 22 to big not big enough. But USE WHAT YOU GOT. If you can get the gun then hell yeah. It will drop em like a ton of !!!!
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

I agree Opti! I kept my mouth shut from the begining on this one. :wink:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Hotdogg - you are getting advice from some of the most experienced coyote hunters that are out there. It sounds to me, that you are someone who is in highschool? Nobody is writing you off!! I would highly recommend that you go back and read all of 1 shooters posts and see how he conducted himself when he first got onto the forum :wink: Your guns can kill a coyote, but we will be hearing stories of you getting frusterated and wanting to quit coyote hunting because you can't get one close enough for you to shoot at or get one killed. DustyC is trying to get you in the right direction and skip a lot of steps along the way. Dusty's mistakes he had with past experiences are something that you could learn from drastically (especially if you never shot a coyote yet). A lot of guys on this forum have taken someone younger, and with zero experience and taught them all they needed to know in a brief period by showing them which mistakes to avoid. Sometimes less words will mean more when you post. All of us at one time or another were in the same boat as yourself, and had virtually zero money! I would like to call myself an experienced coyote hunter, but every time i talk with one of those guys who have there name in a maroon color, i feel like i know nothing about the sport. The knowledge they have and experiences are something that from what i can tell wont be shared with another person, unless there attitude is there and they are willing to put the time that it takes to get there. This is just some advice i have for you, and hope you take into consideration from here on out 8) Keep your head up and do a little searching on the forums and i think you will see, we are more than happy to help you out and get you in the right direction :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bstat1020
coyotehunter

Post by bstat1020 »

This is my advice. Take it or leave it.

You need a larger caliber gun to successfully hunt coyotes. You are undergunned, period.

Have you thought about selling the 22 and 16 ga to buy a larger cal rifle? If you do not want to sell the guns, then start saving to buy one. You can get a nice Savage with scope for $300 or $350.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good post tobeymcmullen and Lyonch.. You both saved me from a whole lot of typeing... :D
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

What ever I can do to help Tim...lol
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Tim Anderson wrote:Good post tobeymcmullen and Lyonch.. You both saved me from a whole lot of typeing... :D
Damn that was easy to stir the pot and then run off hunting, Ay TIm..........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

LOL.. I was'nt stirring the pot and the others did a good job of straightening out Hotdog so no need for me to add any more... :D

Did manage to get one coyote in its bed down by the creek.. Snow is getting pretty deep here and the coyotes don't want to move very far. Sure wish I had Levi here to carry my gun for me.... :D :lol: :lol: