Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
HotDogg

Re: Coyote Hunting Tacticcs and Calls

Post by HotDogg »

Bad news, I found out why I didn't get any coyotes that night. A farmer that farms across the road from my hunting spot cut down nearly a mile of fence row, the coyote's habitat. Ever since, not one coyote has been seen or heard, they moved onward,to, I don't know. I'm glad though I found more land to hunt on, and I've heard that coyotes run the woods between my new spot, and the neigbor's woods, I can't wait to try it out!
Every dog has his day
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

good post. I would leave the .22LR for squirles and gophers, that is not going to get it done with any type of consistancy. I am not saying you can't kill one with it..........I am saying you shouldn't try to kill one with it. At least not in a calling situation.
Coyotes Forever
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

I also have an older Winchester 16 Ga. shotgun. It has a built in full choke( the barrel gets smaller as the barrel gets longer) and I want to know If I can use buckshot in it. What I mean is, Will It explode in my face from the pellets getting stuck down the barrel?
Every dog has his day
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Buckshot will fire just fine in it. Wouldn't shove a slug down it. Get em in about 35-50 yards and drop the hammer. If you would shoot a turkey at the distance drop him.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Will it chamber a 3'' mag. I'm not trying to piss you off or discourage you from hunting coyotes in any way, shape or form. I just think that you are still under gunned with a 16ga. You need to pattern your shot-gun with the ammo you intend to use.''There is a good discussion on shotguns in the general discussion''. (I stole that from levi)hahahaha.
"God hates a coward"
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

no, It's a 2 3/4", I plan to have 000 buckshot, if not smaller.
Every dog has his day
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

DustyC and others the 16 ga. will work fine, you just have fewer pellets compared to a 12 ga.. The 16 ga. may also have a tighter pattern so if the coyote is close you will have to aim it more like a rifle rather than point and shoot.
BB's or #2 should do the trick and don't be affraid to fire the second barrel at them as well. :D

In my younger days I started off with a Rem. 550-1 in 22 L.R. and a Savage/stevens 16 ga. side by side......
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

There is no second barrel, but, I will try to hit him head-on. If I can't hit him the first time, I'll pop another shell in. I'm just afraid that the bb's will get stuck down the barrel, and when you said #2 shot, is that in buckshot or regular shot?
Every dog has his day
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

#2 bird shot.. I have'nt bought shells for mine for some time so I don't know whats available to date.. You should be able to shoot anything thats made from lead in youre 16 ga. includeing slugs (foster slugs).. No steel shot should be used unless its a new shotgun with choke tubes.... Go out and have some fun.. and good luck.........
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

we all know that it can be done, but would you do it today Tim? I know these are probably the guys only guns but why not help him get started in the right direction? I aim my scatter gun just like a rifle everytime. We all know fewer pellets means less chance of a kill. I personally would rather be a better sportsman and not take the chance on a wounded animal getting away. I really don't think that anyone in this game would condone wounding coyotes just for fun. My advice would be to save up and buy a more suitable gun. You will be happier in the long run.

Tim, being contrary is one thing but going against ethics is another. You wouldn't try to bag an elk with your .17 pred would you?
"God hates a coward"
yotester24/7
coyotehunter

Post by yotester24/7 »

yes, i agree with Dusty, get a gun that your comfy shooting n fits you good, you dont need too go spend a 1000 on a gun, u can get a nice accurate gun for about 500-$700, n its not the size of the gun for killing animals, its shot placement, u can take a 22 n shoot a coyote in the engine room n kill them but if u hit them anywhere else ur out of the knock down power but even with a 22-250 or 243, 220 swift, if u dont hit them good it dont matter, its all about how good ur shot is n how well ur gun fits you, i shoot a 22-250 n i get about 80-100 coyotes a year n i have had lots get away but it whops when u hit them square, so wat im gettin at is get the gun that best fits you
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

I got a .222 savage about 2 yrs ago for 300. Came with a scope that was rapidly flug as hard as I could. BSA junk. Went the next day and bought a Burris. I have 490 in the gun with sub MOA groups. A buddy just got a 270 for 200 and a 7mm mag for 300 in the same deal. Cheap but well made guns can be bought. I would try anything but nothing smaller than a .17. I agree in not injuring. Drop em like a hammer if at all possible. I love my .222.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Dustc;
I agree with you but from reading this guys post it sounds like thats all he has so thats what I'm going with weither we think its right or wrong.. We can get him started in the right direction by what size shot he should use for starters and then maybe mentor him on the rest as far as a shot distance and so on... If he sticks it out for a year and does well and decides to continue then he will know he should think serious about a upgrade and set some money aside...

Back when I first started all I had was a 22 l.r. and the 16 ga. side by side, there was no extra money to up grade so I learned to use what I had... Not saying it was right but thats the way it was... When I returned home from the service at Christmas time my Dad saw how tuff of a time I was haveing with the two guns trying to make enough money so I could get a better rifle... My Dad did carpenter work on the side in the winter month's and he picked up a job makeing gun racks for the local gun dealer and in trade he picked out a Rem. 788 in 22-250 with a Bushnell scope with BDC dial and gave this to me for Christmas. Not everyone can be that lucky or blessed...
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

I agree with tim, yet I have not been able to shoot a coyote, but I have shot ground hogs. The shells I use are so strong, I shot a ground hog through the temple, went in one side the size of the bullet, out the other, the size of a quarter. There shouldn't be much difference between the ground hog's temple and the coyotes? Dusty C., why in the name of the devil should I do over kill on the coyote. Whatching Randy Anderson, those guns BLOW off fur. I'm looking just to kill it and skin it, not to blow it half-way to china! There is no reason I should end up blowing the fur off of it! Again, I just want the job done, no extras, if I use the guns, It will take more of a sportsman to be able to draw him in closer, and drop him in one shot? That's what I'm after! Why would I want to buy a .243 Whinchester just for killing coyotes? In Ohio, we can only kill Coyotes and whistle pigs with these sort of rifles. Deer are illegal to shoot with anything bigger than a .22, and who's stupid enough to shoot ducks with a rifle, better yet, geese with a 7mm? Please think about what you're saying!
Every dog has his day
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey Dusty; I'm calling bullshizz on this thread...... Its like a copycat post from a couple weeks ago, "Coyote for a pet" we all remember that one :wink: It doesn't matter what we tell this guy, hes going against the grain no matter what....... In this day in age how many guys dont have a 12ga???? And seriously, a single shot 16ga. that only shots 2 3/4" shells..... The whole thind is a Cluster Fawk :lol:

Hotdogg, this is the last 2cents worth I will give, (not that its worth 2 cents :) ) If you REALLY want to hunt coyotes for "fun", I'm assuming its for "fun" cause if your going to do it for a living your going to go broke..... And you can tell me that you don't have a the right guns or don't have access to them, then I would put my time and effort into getting them. If you cant afford a bigger gun then how the hell are you affording the gas and time to go out calling.....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.