Hi everyone! Another Newbie!

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Hi everyone! Another Newbie!

Post by Skinny Indian »

Well again the deer season here is over, and I look to coyotes and small game as the fill gap. Last year my luck was lousy, what little I got out. I decided to step up the 'yote hunting this year and get more into it. I have a good range of equipment to choose from, and to be honest, don't want to buy anymore! I've read over some of the posts here, but wanted to get some opinions on what I have to work with already. One thing is sure, I don't plan on buying a new rifle, unless it's around a hundred bucks and can shoot well, I've sunk lots of cash into the ones I have and need to save up some. Anyways here goes:

Camo:
Swiss Alpenflage
German Flecktarn
US Woodland
Multicam
in the process of making a ghillie
have burlap for a blind

Calls:
MP3 hooked up to speaker with calls downloaded from "varmint Al's" site
Johnny Stewart PC1
Johnny Stewart CYC1
and i think i still have my "catnip" call from last year

longarms:
.17 HMR (scoped), .22, .32, 6.5 Carcano, SKS, 7.62 NATO Mauser, .308 Win(scoped), 45-70, 12 gauges, .410, 9mm carbine(3 x scoped), 7.63x54 (Nagant), 8 mm mauser, .270 Win(scoped) and i think that's it for the longarms category...

As of now I am hunting a small plot, shots no more than 200 yard are likely, and from a blind/ground stand. I'm leaning towards using my .308 as it's a tackdriver, but rounds can be costly, at least the ones I zeroed on. Also it's a single shot, just in case such info is important. I've gotten the gist that things such as .17, .22 and .410 are a bit anemic for the yotes, but i fear the others are too high powered. I don't care about pelts, and my calling skills are on par with anyone else who's done it for a week. I am open to advice, but I'm pretty dead-set on the whole not buying another rifle thing. Some of these rifles I don't shoot often, and others I'm fairly skilled with. Now, if one is a great choice for hunting yotes, I'm willing to put in the range time, but if they're all about the same, I'd prefer to stick with the more commonly available rounds. I have a feeling the Carcano will be my best choice, it's light, maneuverable, accurate for the most part, and shoots an intermediate round, also because ammo is hard to find and expensive and I only have two clips for it. Of course, to me, it seems like the ideal rifle and given practice I'm sure it's great. But alas, I know little of the coyote's tricky ways. I do know that possum are the closest thing I've seen to a zombie in real life, as both of them I killed only succumbed to a bullet to the brain, including surviving 12 ga shotgun blasts at close range with number 4 shot. Can I expect the same amount of toughness of a coyote? I'm all ears gentlemen (and ladies too it you're out there) so I humbly request your vast knowledge and suggestions! Thanks all! I look forward to a new type of sitting in the woods for hours!
Keep your powder dry.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Re: Hi everyone! Another Newbie!

Post by Skinny Indian »

To clarify, my .32 is a .32 Win SPL. I don't plan to shoot it too often....
Keep your powder dry.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would think if you are starting out and not concerned about selling the fur, then any of the deer calibers you have that you are comfortable with will work fine. looks like you got plenty of stuff, now to find a coyote. a book to start out with is call "the Clever Coyote" by Stanely P young and another great book is "hoof beats of a wolfer" by L. Craig O"Gorman. great reads with a bunch of coyote info to suck up.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Its good to see more new members joining up everyday.. Looks like Coyotehunter has his work cut out for him... :D :lol: :lol:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

use what you got. .308 or 270 will be fine.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Thanks gentlemen! I'm glad to hear that I've got me some stuff that will be functional. I'm probably going to go with the .270 cause the rounds are a tad cheaper than the match rounds I feed my spoiled .308, plus my .270 is a bolt. i was worried the load would be too hot for a yote and not DRT it. Appreciate it gents!
Keep your powder dry.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

:lol: 8) Where in the hell did you come up with a handle like '' Skinny Indian''? I freakin LOVE IT!!!!!!! Are you really a skinny indian? Makes mine seem pretty dull and boring. Anyways welcome and good luck callin.
"God hates a coward"
Jamie Nelms
coyotehunter

Post by Jamie Nelms »

I am a newbie as well.....been lurking for awhile now and have hunted my whole life. My renewed interest with hunting Yote's has arisen from the out break of yote's at my home place. I live on about 20 acres around a mile out of town and have lost 2 dogs to the yoties. I've lived here since 1973 and have never had this kind of problems this close to home. I am limited to what I can hunt with since the city ordanace will not allow rifles or pistols to be discharged inside city limits.
ShotGuns, Bows, and CrossBows are legal, my question to all you guys is what is the effective range of 12 gauge 00 buck? I have not ever used 00 buck shot for Coyotes but am going to give it a try.

There is a creek that runs along the back of my place and I plan on using a elevated stand, your thoughts?
When work takes the time of the hunt I have to hunt to make time..........
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'd give #4 buck the odds.distance will depend on your gun but 60 yards would be realistic
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote::lol: 8) Where in the hell did you come up with a handle like '' Skinny Indian''? I freakin LOVE IT!!!!!!! Are you really a skinny indian? Makes mine seem pretty dull and boring. Anyways welcome and good luck callin.
It just so happens that I am part Indian, skinny on the other hand....
But how I came up with the name:
I was lamenting a poor hunting season to the gentleman that runs the bow shop myself and just about everyone else with a bow in a hundred mile radius visits. He told me "Well hunting isn't easy, why do you think you never see a fat Indian?", so that's where I got it from.

Also so I don't nee to make another post, I've settled on the 7.62Nato/.308. Is there enough meat on a coyote for a 150 grain to expand in it or will it rip through like an FMJ?
Keep your powder dry.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote::lol: 8) Where in the hell did you come up with a handle like '' Skinny Indian''? I freakin LOVE IT!!!!!!! Are you really a skinny indian? Makes mine seem pretty dull and boring. Anyways welcome and good luck callin.

Oh, and thanks :)
Keep your powder dry.
Jamie Nelms
coyotehunter

Post by Jamie Nelms »

Thanks we'll be chunkin all we got at em....... :D
When work takes the time of the hunt I have to hunt to make time..........
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Well, I know I'm resurrecting a dead post but I didn't feel the need to create a new one so..... I have been using the 9mm Hi Point as my coyote rifle in the interim of practicing and being better acquainted with my SKS. I am on the East Coast, and I know the conditions out here are a little different. Last time I actually shot any living thing with it was with 147gr Gold Dots at maybe 25 yards or so Didn't expand at all! It was an exceptionally scrawny specimen so my question is, with a lighter (115g) HP bullet and greater ranges, is this a suitable choice? Much cheaper on the ammo too.
Keep your powder dry.
longbow2
coyotehunter

Post by longbow2 »

im a newbie to and i would like to know how to start my own thread im a bit confused