Newbie first Hunt--pic heavy

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
223sav
coyotehunter

Re: Newbie first Hunt--pic heavy

Post by 223sav »

Tbush- I agree, howling has its place and as a beginner, which DD stated he was, I think that starting with a distress call is probably best. I myself don't use a lot of coyote vocals, as with what you stated, I think it runs more off than it brings in.
Maybe somehow I took it wrong, but lyonch statement of "Since you haven't shot a coyote yet, I wouldn't attempt howling at all!!!", came off to me as he's not good enough to howl since he hasn't shot a coyote! But once he shoots one, then he can howl. And I didn't think that was fair to Dirty Dog.
My question to lyonch is at what time is a guy accomplished enough to use a howler, if that what he chooses to do?
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I'm with Dusty on the camping thing, thats why they invented gas and vehicles, so you can drive your tired ass to the nearest Motel 6 .
Howling this time of year is tricky business with all the breeding going on. If I do any its a female invite. It pisses off the local females and get the males riled up. I stay away from the older sounding male howls just so as not to spook any youngens from checking things out. I dont think you can really go wrong if you keep the howls fairly high pitched and young sounding. I rarely make a sound like an older adult unless I'm going after a specific coyote. Just my opinion though.
And as far as the challenge barking,(wich alot of people get mixed up with a challenge howl) if I have one barking at me I just give it right back to him. I've had good success at getting those coyotes in that are standing 500 yards away barking by just doing it back at them. In my experience if they wont come in to that their is no use trying more distress or howling. Time to relocate.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
DirtyDog
coyotehunter

Post by DirtyDog »

DustyC wrote::shock: for the love of god!!!!!!!! Don't you guys know that they have hotels all over this country with heat and a bar? If I was camping with a buddy in those conditions, it would lool like a scene from BROKE BACK MOUNTAIN!!!!!!
LMAO...I like to backpack hunt big game and camp. This spot is 2 hrs from my home one way and no hotels near it. My buddy is a brand new gear reviewer for Outdoor Life so it gives him opps to review gear he gets. I like camping and winter camping even more.

No need to get anyone's panties in a bunch...I asked for advice and agree that I prolly have no business howling. Its all good fellaz...

I have the Randy Anderson howler and KiYi calls. I was only using the cottontail in distress but my buddy has an old Foxpro and admitted he was clueless but liked firing that thing up. After the morning set I told him to cut the howling out...cuz I was just clueless on what it was inteded to do.

So more details on the dog I somewhat called in--we had just walked about qtr mile to that big cayon in my pic. We sat down and did some cottontail distress calls. Called for 2-3 minutes and stopped and silence for 10-15 min. Did that twice and decided to move about another cpls hundred yards closer to the canyon edge. Did the same thing for about 45 in but as the day faded we started really getting stupid. Just two newbies having fun... He would let the Foxpro cottontail distress hollar for a few minutes, I howled on the mouth call a few times...then back to the Foxpro cottontail. Thats when I noticed a dog moving to the right. He stopped under a cedar tree in an opening and I shouda hammered him then. My buddy was trying to get some footage and couldn't pic him up as he was standing in a dry spot and blended right in. I tried laying prone, didn't work in the spot I was in then back to sitting...all the while he watched us. Prolly 2-3 min...finally I said I am gonna try to take him. you know the rest.
Hey, I appreciate the critical input here...Its why I put the post out.

The next morning dogs were howling in all directions...and my buddy kept hitting the howling button...we won't be doing that anymore til we figure out what he heck is going on! :lol:

I need to do some more reading!
"success is often determined by rounds down range!"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

well its sounds like your having a ball anyway with a good buddy. can't beat that.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

My gosh!!!!! I,ll keep my mouth shut on this one!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: YEAH RIGHT!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: All lyonch was sying is that howling takes alot of practice and it's hard for a beginner to know what to say at a certain time. He wasn't saying that it's a right of passage, or you have to earn the right. He was just trying to give sound advice to a guy that looks and sounds to be a good sportsman that is learning a new side to the hunting game! :x
I think that some people need to ask a question before they go gettin butt hurt over a comment that they are taking completely out of context. I myself am sick of that BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!
"God hates a coward"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I don't think that can be taken out of context!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
"God hates a coward"
DirtyDog
coyotehunter

Post by DirtyDog »

Its all good fellaz...we are all on the same team!!! WE WANT TO KILL MORE DOGS!!!

I don't want to start any junk...you guys offer alot of good info to newbie chumps like me and we need to stick together as sportsman.

There are far too many liberal idiots out there that want us to argue amongst ourselves and lose our right to bear arms and HUNT.

I asked for any/all input.

LETS KILL MORE DOGS!

AND FOR ME, LETS KILL MY FIRST DOG!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

baby steps...........good info you guys. Lots to discuss when it comes to howling and in my opinion for most recreational callers it is very overated. This time of year I do not do much vocalizations at all. get into march through july that is all I do but that is a whole other program. keep it simple and learn your dogs. if you are on locaton you do not have to do anything fancy.
Coyotes Forever
223sav
coyotehunter

Post by 223sav »

Don't know where "Since you haven't shot a coyote, I wouldn't attempt howling at all" is taken that far out of context. I have already stated that howling probably isn't the best option, my point was the wording, IMO, was off. Read what's in the quote's.
And you know what I think is bullshit, some of the leaders on this forum, pick and choose(which is their choice) who they throw the attaboys and good jobs out to. Like damn cheerleaders. And they come across like they are superior to beginners, but when you look at how many dogs they kill, they are average at best, but bc they wave their pom poms the best and post a million great jobs to the right people, now all the sudden they are experts.
I have read a good majority of the posts on the site, and the guys like Bucks, Dcoy, EOCaller, DustyC, TBush, Randy, Jerry, and small handful of others, you guys know your shit and I look forward to learning from you, and when you offer input/advice, it's not condescending to the new guys. You WORD it in a way that is beneficial, not derogatory.

I wasn't questioning lyonch advice on not howling as a beginner, I am questioning how it was stated.
But everyone has responded negatively back at me in defense of lyonch, but where did he go, just want him to explain his position.
Wasn't intending to get anyone excited, just looking for some clarification from lyonch.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I've been useing howls on some of my stands as long as I can remember. Most of my calling has taken place from Oct through March.. In most areas I can get by with just good old rabbit distress but there are times and places where a rabbit distress is'nt going to bring them in alone and a simple howl which most anyone can make will do the job to get the coyote headed in the right direction.. Some times the coyote maybe in a deep sleep or just not hearing a rabbit distress sounds made by a hand call or maynot be interested.. Give them a couple of simple lone howls to wake them up or get them interested.. Simple howls canbe used most anytime when on stand, I prefer to use them dureing the middle of a stand or torwards the end.. You don't have to be a expert to use a simple howl and don't even need to know what it means other than its a coyote howling.. As for the other coyote vocals I admitt they should be saved for later on when a hunter has a few coyotes under his belt and has a better understanding of what these vocals are and how to use them properly... Good hunting....
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

223sav, I dont see you posting any advice, tips or pictures, How come??? Lyonch was giving his opinon, and some advice, wheres yours?? Please post all your knowledge that you think you have. Whats your problem with lyonch, this isnt the first time you called him out? Have we met you before? have you hunted any tournaments before? I would like to put a name to a face, Nothing like calling someone 8) out on the internet behind their screen name. Whats your coyote hunting back ground? You must have alot of experience and advice, or you talk like you do, just like you claim some people do on this site. I am seeing that everyone is agreeing with lyonch, why would that be??? Just a few questions
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Im sorry if i "worded"something wrong :shock: Thanks to all those who have tried clarifying what i stated. They fully understand what i meant because i have probably talked to them more than just on a chat forum. I have been out of town that past couple days for work and am just now getting onto the forum and playing catch up! When i noticed Dirtydog posted that he was camping in the intial first post it seemed as though it was a trip that he had recently went on. After noticing he was posting of stories that happened that day i realized he was checking the site after he was hunting/camping that day. He wanted any and all advice, so i posted some advice since no one else had done so already. my quote of "Since you haven't shot a coyote, I wouldn't attempt howling at all!!" was not meant as a right of passage or down talk by any means. Since he stated that he was new at this and has yet to call a coyote in, i immediately assumed that he really doesn't understand what howls mean what. I started in the same shoes as dirtydog did and only had outdoorsman experience and not "coyote calling experience" so i howled on every stand thinking i knew what i was doing (because randy anderson did it on his videos :lol: ) and had absolutely zero results with it and got frusterated. I then watched a video by less johnson and he didn't howl at all. So i tried straight distress and out of know where i called in my very first coyote and it happened to be a pair :D . After that i said no more howls until i understand what they mean. So back to my comment, it was meant that since they seem pretty serious about calling in their first coyote on this excursion it was meant that not to howl on this hunting/camping trip.

Now that we all cleared up on my "wording" lets get dirtydog his FIRST coyote 8) I do like the discussion that is going on as far as howling goes on why a person should or shouldn't.

Dirtydog in my opinion, i would grab any rabbit distress sounds you guys have and let them play for about a minute or two and then turn them off for 30 seconds to a minute and then firing it back up for another minute or two. Keep this going until you hit the 20-25 minute mark and if you dont see any takers coming in, then go ahead and move to your next location. If you get one coming in, i would shut the call off as long as he is coming in. So if he is moving and coming in, don't call and if he stops to try to get a visual or (commonly on top of a hill to look), give him just enough distress sound to get him coming again and then turn it off. Keep the interest peaked and they should keep coming in. If you have the video from your buddy trying to video tape it, feel free to upload it and we can get a lot better picture of what you calling situation looks like and you can get a million opinions on how it should be done :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
DirtyDog
coyotehunter

Post by DirtyDog »

Lyonch - thanks for the input. I will try to get the vid from my buddy but not sure my email will allow such a big file.

Thanks again guys...I will be back out in the next couple of weeks and will give a report. I will also stop the howling and stick to distress calls as a couple have mentioned.

Hopefully I will have a pic of a dead dog in a few wks!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

stick to it and be paitent.also keep in mind that getting into your spots undetected is key. good luck. i wanna see some dead dog pics :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

And you know what I think is bullshit, some of the leaders on this forum, pick and choose(which is their choice) who they throw the attaboys and good jobs out to. Like damn cheerleaders. And they come across like they are superior to beginners, but when you look at how many dogs they kill, they are average at best, but bc they wave their pom poms the best and post a million great jobs to the right people, now all the sudden they are experts.
I have read a good majority of the posts on the site, and the guys like Bucks, Dcoy, EOCaller, DustyC, TBush, Randy, Jerry, and small handful of others, you guys know your shit and I look forward to learning from you, and when you offer input/advice, it's not condescending to the new guys. You WORD it in a way that is beneficial, not derogatory.

.[/quote]
223sav. i don't know about the others you mentioned but i do KNOW, that up untill Myself and Dcoy joined this forum, we were medicore coyote callers at best... perhaps even poor callers. we've gained alot of info from the "leaders" here. i can guarentee you,Lyonch meant no harm to DirtyDoggs post. it was good info although i can see where you thought it might have been harsh. there is not one person on this forum that posts regulary that does so in a negitive way. hell, i wish there was more critizism sometimes as if done in the right way can be bennifishale. as for all the "atta boys" you mention, alot of us have met one another or have hunted with one onother. were just showing respect for each other.