How many different techniques?

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

How many different techniques?

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Just curious how many of you guys use differente methods to pursure predators on a REGULAR basis. Do you catch a track and go after one after a storm, Do you get together with a bunch of guys and make drives for them? Do you do a lot of spot and stalk hunting for bedded coyotes or fox? Do you trap? Do you Snare? Now we have all done a little of the other stuff but the question is on a REGULAR basis.

Myself I stick to calling in the hunting avenue and Snaring for another way to put some fur on the stretchers.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

For myself i would have to say primarily calling with some spot and stalk if it presents the opportunity to do it. I also spend a lot of time looking for a fresh set of tracks heading to the area that i plan on calling to. Never done drives with a lot of guys for coyotes or run them with dogs and hopefully this fall i will be able to trap or snare one. :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I call them when i go west 2-4 times a year, at home its hunt and stalk, and we also hunt simular to deer drives, but the goal is to catch the coyote in the middle of section or keep him there till a stalker can get close enough for a shot.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I usually call then walk to a new spot. If I see plenty of tracks I will try and hunt in that area. work in a circle. I did talk with a guy once and he was going to try and drive some wooded river bottom. I never did here how it worked.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I mostly call but I have after a storm followed tracks and I did also one year do what we call sniper hunting where we would find them out in fields and do some long shots on them which was fun i guess but I did alot of missing :D and that gets frustrating.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I just call mainly.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I like to spot and stock a red fox and call in the wiley coyote!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Right now mainly , I use my dog, and do a little calling this time of year. I hunt til about July and then give it a rest for awhile. It gets too hot for the dog unless you go out early in the morning. Mosquitoes get bad too. Next Fall I will start calling for awhile and then start trapping the first week -end in Nov. I set quite a few snares and a few legholds. My calling has fallen off as I am older and don't like the cold weather as much. I really like hunting on those over-cast days when it is about 25degrees out.
onecoyote

Post by onecoyote »

Prairie Ghost, that a good question. I make brush stands with remotes and hand calls like 99% of the folks do. My truck is set up to hunt from day or night where legal. I can't drive anywhere without always looking for predators, mostly coyotes because there's more of them. I don't trap or use dogs, I have nothing against it. I've always been a predator caller, can't help it.
Coyote Inc

Post by Coyote Inc »

Myself, I stick to calling. I like to build my own calls, try differant sounds, and primarily call coyotes to the gun. I put a lot of effort into sounding different from the average caller and that really works for me. I also study coyote behavior and try to pick the days I hunt scientificly. I study lunar phases, weather, prey abundance in particular area, coyote density. All that stuff really comes into play. Course, a guy might as well just go out and hunt. I figure if your going to hunt coyotes, you have to understand them, especially when others have educated them.
Anyone can kill a deer, it takes a man to kill a varmint -Ben Lilly