decoys

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
DAISYBELL
coyotehunter

decoys

Post by DAISYBELL »

New to the forum and yote hunting(howdy everyone). Need some recommendations on decoys thanks and God bless
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: decoys

Post by Tim Anderson »

Welcome... Why do you think you need a decoy to be successful???
Once you learn to find them and call them in you will find you don't need a decoy. Stand location and set up is far more important...
Good luck...
DAISYBELL
coyotehunter

Post by DAISYBELL »

My aim is to hunt with a bow and I was looking at all possibilities that may bring them in to 40 yards or less. thanks
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

decoys can cause more problems then they are worth at times
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

What you don't have a gun??? Just kidding.. Just stop calling to them once spotted comeing in and make them search for the source of the sound and just use a coaxer or lip squeak to close the deal..

Question: Have you called coyotes in before????
DAISYBELL
coyotehunter

Post by DAISYBELL »

As I stated in my initial post I am new to hunting coyotes. thanks
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Killing a coyote with a bow is a big challenge and a bigger challenge if you have'nt called them in before.. I think you should just work on the calling them in part first and shoot them with a rifle before you try to tackle them with a bow. imo..
There are all kinds of tools out there to help you increase your chances of killing a coyote but you need to learn to call them in first.. A decoy is'nt going to bring them in by itself...

Where do you live????
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would at the very least start with a shot gun. I would, if using a bow try to get elevated, and put a remote ecaller on the ground. work the wind so you have a shot down wind from the ecaller.
Coyotes Forever
DAISYBELL
coyotehunter

Post by DAISYBELL »

Thanks for the info coyotehunter, my initial plan is to use the lock on tree blinds that are set for deer and wild hogs and I have them set up to handle different wind direction. This is thick east Texas woods and the stands will be in small openings. Our varmit population has increased due to last years drought and the bioligist has said start taking them out or we have to hire a professional trapper. The decoy idea was to perhaps help in a limited visibility area. Could you also help me with an idea on the best cover scent. thanks and God bless.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Try using a folding ladder in that thick stuff. Cover scent............well, in coyote calling I dont bother with it. There is a pretty long thread on here somewere that talks about cover scent to exhuastion. Do a search and you should find it.
Coyotes Forever