ND hunting tips

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
rguttormson
coyotehunter

ND hunting tips

Post by rguttormson »

Looking for basic tips and advise. I've reviewed the other posts on the site and appreciate all the experienced hunters sharing their knowledge and suggestions. I'm very new to coyote hunting and have read some basic books, but I'm clearly still making some errors, just not able to identify them yet. Very few threads I have read seem to answer some of the questions I have which are specific to ND.

1. How windy is too windy to hunt? The winds here are often 10-20 mph, which severely limits the reach of the call, except with the wind, which also spreads your scent in the same direction.
2. Is there a temp at which most coyotes will stop hunting? Temps are often 0-20, but with windchill the temps are -20-0.
3. If you don't have the opportunity to get out often or scout, where would you start your stands? I can't find any info about coyote populations in the state, and many areas are posted. I have more experience deer hunting, and have been looking near sloughs, CRP fields, draws near areas with high rabbit populations, and always see many deer, but never see any coyotes. Thus, I believe there are around and hear the fox pro I use for calling, but I'm doing something wrong.

I have been setting up 300-400 yds from my vehicle, sitting still for 10+ minutes prior to starting calling, and calling for 15-30 minutes on and off before moving sites, but after over 20 stands and not seeing coyotes, I know the problem is my technique.

I'll be happy to learn from more experienced hunters who may see obvious issues with what I've posted, but nothing is too obvious, any any suggestions are welcome. THANKS
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: ND hunting tips

Post by Coyotehunter »

Wind gets to be a personal thing. To windy has more to do with each hunters personal tolerance. The coyotes are still out there.

The colder the better.

Should locate your coyotes when ever possible prior to calling. At least try doing some howling a hour or so before sun up.

There is no set distance to call from the vehicle, each situation is different. Always good to glass the area before you start calling. 25-30 min. In most areas would be more then enough time.