Spot and Stalk

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
1 shot
coyotehunter

Spot and Stalk

Post by 1 shot »

I noticed last year when temp got below zero the coyotes were out all day.
So what are some good tips on spot a stalk or spot and call?
The area is mostly squared off with roads every mile and section roads every half mile. With any luck of having snow, some of the section roads are not open.

So what do you do when there isn?t any low spots to hide the truck and get out and try to stalk a little closer and call. And does dropping off your partner and having them call from the road once you drive off work?
What are some tips that have worked for you? And of course the ones that haven?t?
Thanks
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

DO NOT CALL FROM THE ROAD!!!!! It does work to have a partner drop you off and walking out somewhere if you can't hide the truck but coyotes know exactly where that road is and the concequences of getting too close during daylight. If i have an area that i can't hardly get the pickup hidden i make that the first or last stand of the day so that the light is low enough they might not spot the pickup before i can get a shot
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Hidding the truck can be a nightmare! I agree low light conditions would be your best options to try!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1 shot
coyotehunter

Post by 1 shot »

I'm not talking about just making a set from a road.
What I'm talking about is when your driving down the road and there is a coyote standing in the middle of the section.
He was running around where he shouldn't have
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If there is a coyote in the open and it is all flat for miles and you spot him in the middle of the section standing there (not bedded already) the chances of calling him is slim to none in my experience, because he probably saw you before you saw him. The best way i have found to get them is to keep your speed up drive past them and a couple miles away and then watch him with binoculars as far away as you can and watch him cause sooner or later he should lay down for a nap. When he does, go to that section and keep the wind in your face and walk extremely slow and quiet and watch him at all times cause he will get up and move around here and there and as long as you catch him when he gets up and you dont move he will go back to sleep. Stock him to where you are comfortable to shoot and give it a try. It will take some time but more than likely he spotted you before you spotted him and wont stick around. GOOD LUCK!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

That is a good topic. I remember one time a friend and I had went out to a guys place. We stayed there all night and when morning came, it was snowing like all get out. We went calling anyway and managed only one coyote. We hunted a river bottome. The coyotes weren't responding very well. Hunted all day for one coyote. Well the next day we had to go home but it was a real nice day with about 4 " of snow on the ground. We shot 5 coyotes going home and everone was called off the road. As we were driving we would see a coyote and I would drop my partner off at the nearest spot out of sight. You have to do it quick and then keep on going down the road. He would get along the fence line and call . He killed 5 that way in no time at all. The coyotes were really out that day. We must have seen 20 on the way home. I have a picture somewhere I will post.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Like lyonch mentioned if the coyote spots you and knows what you are up too, you might as well keep driving, especially later in the year when people start chasing them with trucks. They get very wise to the sounds of trucks! If you can keep a low profile and quickly sneak out there with the coyote having no Idea, then you have a great chance of calling it in
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Your right Levi. Later on , it gets tougher.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

The following is from a post I submitted last year, but describes how I shot a female coyote with a spot and stalk technique while the male did not respond because I believe that he saw the pickup and associated it with a human.

This coyote I got in the Bremen Tournament. Papapete spotted it out in th e open as we were driving so we drove down the dip, I jumped out of the moving truck, and he kept driving down the road. I am actually standing on the side of the road in the picture. On the left side of the picture is a hill. I crested the hill and got down on my belly. This female and her male were about 700 yards out. I coaxed with my Crit R Call and the female came across the open field and through the slough you see on the right side of the picture. The male wouldn't budge...he knew something was up. She got in the dark, tall, grass you see in the photo and was jumping up trying to see me. The wind was at my back coming right at her so when she got on my side of the slough I shot her at 150 yards. It was the only coyote we connected on in the tourney and we took 3rd and also got smallest dog prizes.

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

sweet :D
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have used that method many times. We use to use it on fox ALL the time
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

It works great on fox. Chris and I about mastered spot and stalk on fox, but coyotes, are little more wise to the fact!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Spot and Stalk: when driveing down the road and you see a bedded coyote or one standing in section just keep driveing and scan the area for low spots or cover you can use to sneak in on coyote with out being seen. Keep driveing done the road till you are out of site and then stop and look over the area some more and then plan youre attack on said target. Depending on terrane you may have to come in from behind coyote. Start youre planned stalk and go easey, listen for loud traffic and use this noise for cover when snow is a little crunchy or walk on dirt glods or grass patches. Take youre time and with a little practice you can get it done.. I been doing this for a long time and it still works for me..Image