New Caller...

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
fowler6807

New Caller...

Post by fowler6807 »

I have shot a few coyotes in my day, but a lot of them came as a result of flushing coyotes out of sloughs when we were hunting pheasants or running across one while spotting raccoons in eastern South Dakota. I go through hunting withdrawals after the waterfowl and hunting season end so I decided to pick up coyote calling.
After a few unsuccessful tries, I finally called one in a week ago. I used a howler to locate, and a cottontail call. We were surrounded on three sides with sizeable sloughs, and after about an hour of calling, one finally showed up. After a little convincing with lip squeals he got to 240 yards and my Tika 22-250 did the rest. The best part of the story is on our walk out after dark we had another begin barking at us. We howled back and he responded (and I'm not kidding) for ten minutes! Too dark to get a look at though.
I'm looking for any more tips in hunting slough country of eastern South Dakota. Anything will help. Happy hunting.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Congrats on calling in the coyote. There is no for sure tips, other than trial and error. You called one in, so your doing something right :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

For a general rule of thumb unless you really need a specific coyote killed i would shorten your stands to 25 minutes and call more places in a day. If you have a coyote spotted and want to keep working him that is one thing but an hour of calling "most" of the time is a lost stand
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I guarantee my ADD kicks in around 15minutes on a stand!

A wise coyote hunter at the classic told me to keep my butt on stand for 25 minutes :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Levi and i got spoiled i think when we were having coyotes show up within ten minutes on stand for a while there this year. As the year goes on I think all fellow hunters need to set there for a minimum of 25 minutes. jsut do something a little different than what the other guys in the area do and that can make ya or break ya at times in my opininon. Just remember that there area more coyotes harvested by the dyibng rabbit sound than any other sound. what can i say its sweet music to their ears.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

25 minutes has pretty much always been my time limit.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Craig O'Gorman told me he would never leave a stand before the 25 minute mark. In the fall if you are in pups and trying to cover ground, 15 minutes can be the ticket. You also will be walking away from a bunch of coyotes. In the early fall in Az, and Texas, we would not know the area that well and just would pound out the stands. Once we got into a a few coyotes we would settle down call a little longer and really work the area hard.
Coyotes Forever