Question

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Savagehunter

Question

Post by Savagehunter »

Will a .25-06 blow too big of a hole in the coyote to sell the pelt, or do I need to go even smaller. I am planning on buying a dedicated varmint rifle. My .30-06 is great but not for perserving the pelts.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

speed and bullet construction have more to do with pelt damage then caliber. So I would need to know that before having a guess on pelt damge. I will have to say that a 26-06 would not be my first choice for a fur gun. I hope that helps
Coyotes Forever
shootertim24

Re: Question

Post by shootertim24 »

Savagehunter wrote:Will a .25-06 blow too big of a hole in the coyote to sell the pelt, or do I need to go even smaller. I am planning on buying a dedicated varmint rifle. My .30-06 is great but not for perserving the pelts.
i have a .25-06. was my first rifle for yotes. if ur gonna shoot a coyote with it, placement is key. i found that a 110 grain soft point works the best 4 preserving the pelt. ballistic tips are horrible. just what ive found anyway!