Keep Calling!

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Keep Calling!

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Here is a double from saturday that proves a point that most people have a hard time spending the time to prove. I had seen three coyotes multiple times in a calving pasture around a very large herd of antelope but it was always too windy in the area to call. Saturday was dead calm so i figured i would call it before checking the snares in the pasture.
I sat down and blew the quietest series on the pee wee i could and looked over my shoulder too see a coyote at 40yds walking away from me. Boom flop. (sneeking in to your stand can really help :D ). As soon as i shot i let out a series on the standard as loud as i could and had the three coyotes howling at a distance. I called for another 20 minutes mixed with some female invitation howls and was doing my long look around with the binocs and spotted all three coyotes at 400yds. One started coming and the other two held back in the sage. I kept coaxing and soon had the coyote at 50yds slinking through the sage. It caught the wind of the first coyote laying dead and went to investigate. I lipped squeaked and got him to show me his head at 40yds standing over the first coyote Boom flop. The other two coyotes bugged out but its always nice to take a pair out of a calving pasture as they are starting to hit the ground.

As i was getting to the end of the snare line in the pasture i spooked two coyotes out of a draw and was able to drop the first one in his tracks and missed the second one DAMN! he didn't seem real spooked when he crested the hill so i took off after him to see if i could get a long shot over the hill. I crested the hill and started to scan for a coyote trotting away and was pleasently surprised to see this!

Running from my gunshots she hit one of my snares and was not very happy to me on a 13ft leash when i walked up on her.

Here is the location after setting up a new snare

The rancher was very happy to see me adding to the coyotes i have taken out of his calving pasture from the last 2-3 weeks

Last edited by Prairie Ghost on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

those are some nice looking dogs brad. You gotta love those shotgun coyotes
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Nice story prairie ghost. Glad that worked out for you. It is always a rewarding feeling when you sneak up to within 50 yards of a bedded coyote.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Nice Pile of fur! Are all those a combination of calling and traps/snares?? You must of had a full camera of pictures! :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Three called in one freebee and 7 snared. Ya the camera was full and i went to a digital of my own. My wife wouldn't ever let me take hers hunting :evil:
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Wow nice layout of fur! That's going to keep you busy skinning! I know how those wives are...I ended up buying a second digital camera this winter so she can't complain when I take hers. I was sick of the complaining :wink:
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If i remember right i thought jamie told me that him and brad aren't allowed to put the coyote fur up. I thought you guys told us that the furs from the cats that are snared go to some place to help fund the operation. If im wrong definetly correct me. Keep up the good work boys.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You're right Chris that is why there is a pile sitting by the haystacks
BigCoulee
coyotehunter

Post by BigCoulee »

Great post Prairie Ghost!
papapete
coyotehunter

Post by papapete »

Very nice. You make it sound easy. :D
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."