wolf hunting

The Gray Wolf (Canis Lupus) is the most widely distributed large carnivore in the northern hemisphere.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DPMS Panther Arms
coyotehunter

wolf hunting

Post by DPMS Panther Arms »

Hello to all fellow hunters out there. I was lucky enough to draw a MN wolf tag for the up coming late season. I will be in the woods Thanksgiving weekend through the week. Our group went 6-6 on the tags and we are extremely happy. 2 of us hunt a lot of yotes and the rest are all rookies to this type of hunting. I'm looking to my fellow predator hunters with wolf knowledge to help me help them better. We will be using e-callers and bait in extreme northern MN. Weather up there can vary from 2"-12" of snow that time of year and -10 to 50 deg. all depends on mother nature. All hunting will be done from tree stands and box stands about 5-8 feet of the ground. We will have everything from deer left overs, road kill picked up(as fresh as possible) and what ever we get for small game left overs till then. Anything you guys can give me for first time WOLF hunt would be great...thanks guys and see you all at the up coming turneys in ND..
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: wolf hunting

Post by Tim Anderson »

Going to Mo. over Thanksgiven to visit family and call some coyotes any other time I sure would love to call in a wolf or two for you... Maybe next time.. Good luck.....
DPMS Panther Arms
coyotehunter

Post by DPMS Panther Arms »

Tim--I'd love to take you up on that but if you do not have a drawn lic. you cannot be in the woods. They do not allow anyone in the stand/blind with you unless they also have a tag. When Mn was first talking about doing the hunts 3 years ago I was at every meeting involved with the DNR and so on. The question was brought up many times about having others in the blind with you. the big NO came out every time. Even if you had a member of your party who needed assistance via wheel chair or something. The person helping that person must have a valid tag. My wife is a photographer and I would love for her to be with but she cannot. I should have applied for 2 tags I guess.
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Just another reason Minnesota sucks. That state has zero commonsense.

Good luck on the wolf hunt! It should be fun. Be sure to post pics if you are successful. I would love to get one some day.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You should of applied for 3 tags. :D

Just another reason Minnesota sucks. That state has zero commonsense.
I think they were more worried about dishonest hunters when they made the decision.. After all not all deer hunters can be honest or fair when party hunting, why would some of the wolf hunters be any different..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

get a hold of Bucks n bears he hunted them hard last year in your country!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Bucs is up there now-with a trapping license.
How did you guys do?Not easy calling/baiting them to a fixed spot or stand.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not see what the big deal is.............I have no problem with party hunting. the quota is based on what the environment can handle.......or at the very least how much money the state wants to raise to fund other sectors of the budget. who cares who shot what. I don't!