Anyone seen a black coyote?

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

NogginRattler

Anyone seen a black coyote?

Post by NogginRattler »

This dog was killed this winter. Pretty wicked lookin. Are there many like this up north?
Attachments
Copy of Photo157.jpg
Copy of Photo157.jpg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 13471 times
Copy of 1BlackCoyote12.28.08.jpg
Copy of 1BlackCoyote12.28.08.jpg (168.35 KiB) Viewed 13473 times
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Re: Anyone seen a black coyote?

Post by Red Fox »

I was told most colored coyotes have been cross bred by domestic dogs. It goes to reason that the colored ones show up more frequently in populated area's. It is not handed down to the pups. I think Slim Pederson has some info on it.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

seems most of the black coyotes come from the southern states or s.e.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am not sure I follow that statement that it is not handed down to the pups. I have seen coyote pups with white paws.
Coyotes Forever
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

The way I understood it is that if you have a female coyote bred from a domestic dog you can have colored pups. When the mlae pups have their litter the color was not handed down. I also heard something about the colored females are not able to have pups. I believe it was the furbuyer that buys some of the little fur I do get that told me this.I had one coyote that looked like a giant fox. Melby Fur, New London Mn. His name is Mark. He knows alot more about it than I do.
NogginRattler

Post by NogginRattler »

My dad killed one that looked like a giant fox. It had a pretty coat but hyde is worth nothing here. I will see if i can find some pics.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I don't have much use for a black coyote so i don't go out of my way looking for them. But from time to time one will pop up and then its in trouble.. :mrgreen:

If you hunt enough days and put plenty of miles on you will find all kinds of colorations from Blacks to tans to yellows and silvers.
Here is a Mn. black coyote:

The second coyote from the left had the same coloration and markings as a red fox, had to do a double take before i shot that one.LOL
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

How did you get that black one Tim? I gotta tell ya there isn''t anything that says coyote on that thing to me.

Just my opinion
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Hey guys,

Here in SE MN you will see a black on from time to time but there rare. I have seen 3 black ones in my life and a fella I hunt will actually killed one last year(only one he got all year....back trouble set it on him and his year was over in December). The most famous of the bunch was one a guy killed with a DNR radio collar on it. It was shot about 60 miles+/- from where the DNR tagged it.

I also have a news paper clipping of a coyote taken down here 2 years ago that was white! Really cool looking. farm kid called it in under a full moon and didnt realize it was almost snow white until the next morning. Got his pic in the Rochester Post Bulletin for that.

later,

jaybic
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Any ideas why the MN DNR has collared coyotes? I would be interested to know what kind of study they are doing if you can find out.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have no idea but I am kinda buddies with one of the local COs. I will ask him. Otherwise I have no idea but I know that coyote had a collar on it and a couple years back they were collaring deer pretty heavy too. Then during bow season you would see the DNR trucks driving around and stop and put up BIG tracking antennas to locate the collared critters but I have no idea why. Probably, we had to much tax dollars left over so it was either spend it on that or give it back to the taxpayer. Its MN. Who knows why they do what they do!

I will try to post anything I can find out about it.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Prairie Ghost : The Black coyote was shot by a member of the crew in early spring. I knew about the coyote and saw it many times, i was saveing it for next year but my buddy could'nt wait..LOL :evil: It ran with two other coyotes dureing the winter before it was taken..

As for the radio collared coyotes down by Rochester a study was done a few years ago and posted in a hunting mag. or the sportsman news or Minioplis news paper, can't remember which and i cannot find the results. The study was on terr. of the coyotes, how long they live in the wild, and predation on deer and other critters..
According to what i read they had a terr. size of 3-5 miles, survival was 3-4 years. Of the 15 coyotes studied all of them fed on mice and rabbits mostly and dead stuff. Half of the radio collar coyotes where shot in the first two years by coyote hunters and deer hunters..

P.S. The study was not done by the DNR but students from University....
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thanks for the help on that Tim,

I knew it was something like that but not sure. When the guy that shot the black one with the collar on it reported it to the DNR, they said it was collared up around Redwing/Lake city area and it was killed right close to Saratoga(very small town..not on a map) which is about 50-60 miles straight south as the crow flies. I dont know how long that took but he put on some miles.

Jaybic
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

thanks for the clarification guys
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'll do some digging when i get time. I'm pretty sure the article was in the Sunday sports section of the Minneapolis paper....