Re: Take a kid...

Post by Coyotehunter »

great post Randy :!:
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

For those of you that don't know Randy Roede , he is a great guy with lots of information. He works coyotes 24-7 and is very knowledgeable. He will be back to the Classic this Winter. Introduce yourself to him , and have a beer. You can't find a better fella. He takes his job seriously and is very good at it. Him and Daryl will be a force to reckon with this coming year. I plan on being up there this year if i'm not working somewhere.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Thanks Jerry and Jamie,

Got to tell ya a story about one of the coyotes Daryl and I shot, Daryl it's a good story, remember the junk pile coyote Daryl????

Daryl had rode with me a half a day, had to sign a release and couldn't take a gun for work. So I shot all the coyotes 4 or 5, I don't remember without looking back, so his trigger finger is itchin!!

He hunted with Jerry the next day and got some shooting.Not sure about the details of that deal etc.

Daryl and i went to the reservation the next day and were about half thru the day and he hadn't fired a shot and we had 2 or 3 dead. No matter how hard i tried to get him in the right spot and even left coyotes go by me at 50 yards that i thought might get to him it wasn't working. He was being patient but i could tell he wanted to kill something.

The stand before the junk pile deal we had heard these coyotes answer the howls we were making so we planned to move in on them. It was miles of pasture to get the wind and location right and when we got there I was not sure we were going to be able to pull them up from where we had heard them to where the junl pile was located, In fact i told Daryl that when this doesn't work we need to get in there further.

This junk pile is on a knob looking down into the Missouri River, only a quater mile or so from the ranchers house, the river is a couple miles away but nothing but rough pasture ground between it and the junk pile, a steep draw leads right up to the junk pile. Daryl is setting with his back against an ole oil burner if I remember right and I am as off to the side as I can get with the caller between us. I have already determined if a coyote comes up this draw I am not shooting it's all Daryl's!!

Sure as hell a big ole male, blunt toothed coyote comes chargin up that draw only a few minutes in the stand. I see him at 200 yards and comin hard, he stops at about a 100 then comes hard, no shot, he's at 50 yards, no shot, he is now behind the caller and maybe 20 yards from Daryl then sees Daryl and Daryl sees him and he's leavin, without any details I shot him at about 200 standing. I was rolling down the hill laughing with Daryl not at. He was focusing on his half ,like he should be, and not so much where this coyote came from but it is and always will be a great memory. Chucklin now thinking about it!!!! Wish I had it on video!!

Daryl redeemed himself on the next day and killed everything!!! He's a dam good rifle shot under normal circumstances!! We all miss and if you can't laugh about it and go on life is going to be tough. I would rather grin and bear it than sulk and pout about it, nor do i want to be around people like that, life is to short!!! Work related stuff is a little different!!! That's serious!!

Anyhow thought I would share that with you guys!!
Randy Roede
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good Stories Randy!!

My theory is, if you cant laugh at your hunting partner who can you laugh at?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

LOL Randy that is a good story. :oops: I swear I never saw him till he was like ten steps staring at me LOL. For everyones information I did try the panic shot and missed :lol: ... Randy did the clean up and I can still hear him on his back laughing so hard I think he drowned out the sound of the caller.. Thanks for the kind words Randy.. And the junkyard story :lol: :lol: :oops:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great pics and stories guys!!

Randy great posts i have had some people take me along (Calvin Taylor) being one when i was still learning this game and it was a big help. The way you put it about giving up some tips and tricks is right on the money!!

Were the coyotes working the dogs well? Looks like you guys did some real damage on the area way to go.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Awesome posts guys!! Randy it was a real pleasure to read a good post like that!!! There is a lot of truth in what you have posted. I think it is really cool how you guys are willing to take someone who is willing and eager to learn the ropes under your wing for a fun hunt and teach them a thing or two. To me personally the knowledge that most successful coyote hunters have is priceless :!: Daryl dont feel bad about the panic shot i have way too many of those under my belt and for some reason not a one has panned out :wink: All i can do is giggle about it and receive a lot of shit from levi :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Brad, yes we did have SOME dog action, not as much as I anticipated. Had a 3 pack of last years coyotes avoid the dog once seen, I thought very unusual, had to shoot 2 of the 3 at extended ranges, on the res. too!! About 50 -50 with coyotes that charged the dog or just watched the dog. An agressive decoy dog and we would have never killed as many coyotes as we did. These coyotes had to be worked gently.

I see that reaction from time to time in my district where the overall age of the coyotes has been lowered from control. The two new counties I have absorbed have produced some good dog fights and some older coyotes taken. Same thing on the way NW portion of my district, Tuesday had a 4 pack on the dog, all adults, took 3 all MALES wish I could have gotten the fourth to see what it was, I don't think it was the bitch because after the whole ordeal I had a howlin coyote from the direction of area I had the pups located. No backup at all in these coyotes, the dog had his hands full!!

The res. is a deal that even taking the coyotes we did it's just a drop in the bucket. We did take a pair that was working a calf that had slipped thru the fence. Who knows what would have happened there. Good dog action on those.

Another pair of males needed 45 minutes of coaxing and numerous bluff runs by the dog to get thier confidence up enough to commit. We got to watch them come a mile or more.

Are you or Jamie getting any pups to come in with the adults yet?? I have not had any yet, shot a few out wondering around but none coming into the dog. Should be starting,used to have more of that but it has been getting less and less!! Seen them woof them back and then fight but not like it used to be. Starting to think it is the use of the ecaller, use of it and the change seem to be going hand in hand. In another month distress and no dog will pull them in but the last 3-4 years have produced those results. Went from 2 dogs to 1 dog also thinking that might be it but it isn't.
Randy Roede
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

The two that were working that calf really charged the dog. Poor Bart couldn't squeeze his butt any tighter as he was coming back with those two coyotes ready to take a chunk. They ran right to Randy and then I shot the one in the lungs and made it a spinner as it was heading out and that brought the other one over and I gave that one a dirt nap also. Man it was fun.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Randy,
Seeing a lot of the same thing out here. It's getting tougher and tougher to find a coyote or coyotes that will work a dog anymore. I have also went to running a single dog quite a bit hoping to give them the confidence in numbers. The age of the coyotes is the biggest factor in my opionion. When i get to the areas of my county that aren't worked near as hard is when i get to some old coyotes and thats when i get to see a dog fight.

Haven't had any pups coming in yet. Hopefully this morning ( their bringing the pups to the sheep and killing) we'll just have to see.

Thats something else about the three males and possibly four on the one den that would have been a sight!!

Keep up the good work
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Some of the areas may have been worked by a dog prior to when you hunted them. Don't know for sure...
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Tim I doubt any one with a dog was where we were, as you know no control is done in that area and very few if any would have been where we were. Most people just hunt around the roads. The only hope these ranchers have are the recreational callers to kill a few and hire the plane come spring. It can hold a lot of coyotes without crowding them. Life is good if your a coyote up there, lots of room and lots of food!!

Brad here is one for ya, last three outings 16 coyotes taken with a dog 13 males 3 females . All adults. I would expect these numbers say in the May timeframe but a little unusual now. New country not a mop up deal.
Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I know there was a guy with a dog and ATV working some of the areas I took you into. He was there in mid April..
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Tim , Tim ,Tim, we and the three of us hunted ground you had never been on buddy. For the most part remember, we asked you what was there etc. and you had never been there. You had always hunted near the road! I don't think we hit those areas. Remember I took a day off, before you ever started hunting up there last year, and went with you up there and located coyotes while you wrote down where they were. Remember, before you got your new hearing muffs, before the VHA hunt??? Information you used thru out the entire winter up there improving your success?? Something you now seem to be doing more and more of! Remember. Your hotspots along the road will be safe buddy. All yours!1
Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

As i recall i told you i have not hunted those areas in the last few years and some maybe longer. I also told you that the weather and ground conditions dictates where i hunt on each trip. If you have a bad weather day you can just sit at home but when i'm there and the weather dose'nt cooperate i just have to make due with what i'm delt just like those -15 days i had to deal with last winter..
Also when we where out locateing for the contest i knew that some bad weather was moveing in so the areas we located was so we could still have access to what ever coyotes we found and not be limited to just one ranch or area. If the weather was going to be perfect i have other ranches that i do go into away from the road...
Information you used thru out the entire winter up there improving your success??
Yes and i believe i thanked you for the help but if you did'nt hear me or forgot Thanks again...