First of the season

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

First of the season

Post by Fallguy »

I did 4 stands this morning. Called in a total of 3 yotes and got 1 kill. This male came in to my rabbit distress. He stood broadside about 400 yards out so I started to coax with my Crit R Call. He B-lined right into me, loping through the frost covered grass. It looked like something out of the coyote videos we all know. About 25 yards out I couldn't take it anymore after missing one 10 minutes before. I sent a 95 grain Fusion from my .243 and dropped him. Quarter size entry wound and no exit. I was hoping with a bonded type bullet I would get different results. Any ideas? I am going to keep using them and get some more input.

Image[/url]
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

that is a quarter size entry?
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yes, it is a quarter size. The fur around the wound is soaked in blood. I was moving the hair around to see how bad I shot it up so it is an illusion. The actual hold in the hide flesh is only about quarter size. i know it isn't the best picture. I looked him over several times and couldn't find the exit.

I was at my grandma's with my wife, kid, and driving the minivan. So I had to leave the yote at my uncles. I am going calling there next weekend so I will pick it up then and get it skinned out(then I will know for sure I guess). Hopefully I have more coyotes to skin out.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

well that makes sense. I was thiking from the pic it was more like a softball. Sounds like a great load then. No exist is always nice. To bad you couldn't get to the dog sooner, he will be as stiff as a board.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I know. I shot him about 9:30 AM and we had to get back to teh house, pack up, eat, and leave to beat some of that freezing rain to get back to GF. Traveling with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife...I am sure you know how that goes :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep I know all about it. Congrats on the dog, great pics.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work is that the same uncles that i shot the mangy one at last year?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Nope that is right near where we stopped and howled on the road there by my grandma's. All the coytoes I called that morning where within 1 mile of where we stopped. If we have time we will probably zoom over to my other uncles land and hopefullyget some stands in over there too. Hopefully we have some clear nights Th. and Friday night as we can hopefully get some night stands in too. They got 10" of snow yesterday. As you can see in the photo the snow was just starting to fall when we were hunting.
Bretts

Post by Bretts »

Nice yote, Eric I noticed that you have a white wrap on your gun, and over your barrel, you will be able to get a lot better group if you don't wrap over your barrel because it's gotta be free floating for good groups, not sucked down from the wrap...missed a yote last year cuz I did the same thing, and quickly learned why after that.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Bretts

Yeah I have thought about that same thing. I have noticed in my experiences no difference in my accuracy. I have my gun wrapped during deer season also. I don't wrap the hell out of it. Its really just a covering to cut glare.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Hey congrats on the kill nice dog :D
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well I was correct on the wound entry size. As you can see by the photo it was quarter sized. The bullet was lodged against the hide on the underside of the belly. Pretty fun find while skinning!

manitoban

Post by manitoban »

do you handload for your 243? if so you could try a barnes XLC . they seem to barely open up unless you hit bone and pencil out the other side. they work well in my 22-250 and so does the cheap hornady spire points. nice dog though.