ND Badlands

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

ND Badlands

Post by 1Shooter »

Went out deer hunting this weekend just north of the north unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park on some of my grandparent's land and wow were there coyotes. Every day our group would report seeing at least 3-4 roaming around on the bottom of the spring/creek bed. Here's some pictures of the land and some tracks. Is the last picture of a coon track? I found it by a water tank.
Last edited by 1Shooter on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: ND Badlands

Post by LeviM »

That trail is screaming traps
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Set and collect :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

So If I were to set a couple traps...is this the basic idea of how to go about it?

1. Put pole in ground with chain and trap attached to it
2. Set trap
3. Put bait on trap pan
4. Cover with dirt
5. Wait

Is that about right? If so, how long should the chain be and what kind/size of trap should I use? Also, if I do find a coyote in my trap, how do I harvest it? .22 lr to the head or could I just bonk it on the noggin really good & start skinning? How does everyone else do it?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well it looks like you have location, but the next thing you need to do is a lot of studying on various sets to make. You need to let the land and terrain tell you what that best set to make at that location would be. You also need good equipment. the cheap stuff jsut wont hold a coyote like you wish. The first and foremost thing i personally would do is ask someone to show you the basics of trapping before digging in with both feet. I have found that getting into trappins is not cheap. You will get frusterated time and time again and may never be rewarded at a set. You can dispatch all animals with a .22. I personally use a .22 on all my critters excpet a fox if it is alive. A fox gets a quick slap on the noggin, then put his nose over his back and push it to the ground. It dislocates the spine from the head with an instant death.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Thanks for the info., and keep it coming! Would the set I mentioned above work in open land where there's no trees or brush around? I won't be able to trap much, seeing as how where I'll be in a couple of weekends (the places in the photos) is not my home, but my grandparents. Therefore, I think I'm only going to get a couple of foot traps. Thanks for the info about fox too, I've found a den in this area too where I've accidentally scared the darn thing out of it and that's how I found it. If you trap a coyote, do you shoot it in the head, neck or chest cavity? Where is the worst pelt damage?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

In the picture you provided, i would entertain the idea of a flat set. Look up flat set and im sure you will find some pictures to help your imagination. The set you mentioned wont work for a coyote. A coyote hunts with his nose and you want to use that your advantage. Putting bait on the pan dont work. Stepping sticks on the other when placed properly can guide the animal right in. As far as dispatching a coyote i would use a .22 and make an x from the ear to the opposite eye and then from the other ear to the opposite eye and place it right there. No hide damage at all. check in the trapping area of the forum and you will find a post that jamie made about how he dispatches animals.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

So I did just a little Google-ing and learned what a flat-set is. I'd put the stepping-sticks perpendicular to the trail on either side of the trap. If I do this, I'll probably have to put up a few poles in an "H" form over the trap to ensure that no cattle step in it, but yet my targeted animal can still walk underneath. Is there a certain size/type of trap that works best for coyotes in a flat set?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont wanna come across as an a-hole, but you need to learn how to crawl before you sprint fella. There is a fair amount of trial and error that you are going to have to go through. Fully modified bridger #3 is going to be a great trap. Then there is trap modification that you need to learn. then you need to wash them in some type of degreaser and let them get a coat of rust on them. After that you will have to dye and wax them. After they are dyed and waxed then you can pursue setting the trap. Then you need to learn how to make the flat set. you need to practice bedding the trap and so forth. Youtube is a great resource to watch videos on how to make these sets. i would love to explain everything out on how i would go about doing it, but it would be just as easy for you to watch a video and catch on that way. I hope that helped. Oh and i wouldn't worry about that H. You will never hold or hurt a cow in a foothold trap. just set and check.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Sorry man, I don't mean to be raisin' any fuss. I just don't have much time when I get out to my grandparent's place, usually only a weekend or so every couple months. That doesn't leave much time for trial and error, so I was looking for the most info. I could get ahold of to reduce time in 'trial and error' mode. And what better place to do it than here, where there are many trappers and hunters to share thoughts? The next time I get in to Bismarck I'm going to find some books on trapping and calling.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

your not raising any fuss!!! Its just that from the start to the end, there is a lot to explain in trapping. I would defintely use Youtube to your advantage. There are a lot of videos there on how to make different sets and trap placement. Its really hard to explain in words and much easier to visually see it done.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Since I don't have the amount of time it seems to take to be trapping, I guess I'll let the matter rest until I get a house of my own with some land to be trapping on that I'll have enough time to check every day. In the mean time though, I'll do my best to learn all about it. By the way, is that indeed a coon track above?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

yep, looks coon to me. have you tried calling the area.?? Lyonch was right about the learning curve. i trapped for about 4 years and just when i got somewhat succesful at it i quit. it was fun though.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

1shooter

Another suggestion is to study up on anything you can find by Carl Spackler:

"To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Good Grief...........................were start were to start.................

Buy a half dozen Used Bridger #3 modified traps that are already tuned....Ebay I suppose. Go and buy Trappers world and buy a couple of the coyote instructional videos from there. Ogorman, Pederson, K. Katz...........

Start learning how to bed a trap.

Don't take any advice from anyone who does not trap!!
Coyotes Forever