ND Badlands

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: ND Badlands

Post by Coyotehunter »

No trap check in North Dakota you know...............get some snare. Much easier to start with.
Coyotes Forever
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I live about 3 hours from where I'd want to be trapping, and to get out there even every weekend would really be pushing it for me. I'll definitely have to look into books by Carl Spackler. I've live-trapped a few coons and many rabbits and squirrels in my life, but have never tried snaring or foot-holds or conibears. If I know where a fox den is, is there a good chance that I could snare it in a weekend?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:
Don't take any advice from anyone who does not trap!!
So true! In order to understand trapping you must experience it first hand. I am still a beginer myself, and it takes alot of patience and the willing to learn everyday. Trapping is a ton of fun
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Hopefully when I'm down in SD this coming year I'll be able to do some trapping and snaring down there. Are trapping and snaring allowed on public land?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

It reminds me of somthing my nieghbor said once,"I think I'm going to buy some cows,....I've got a saddle." Trapping coyotes is one of those things that is hard to just up and start doing with any success. My Dad trapped coyote and bobcats for a second income for years and I watched every move he made when I was a little kid and when I got the itch to do it later in life I had all the traps all the land and years of teaching and I still had holly hell trying to catch coyotes consistantly. I said piss on it. Its funner to call em in. I recently got into bobcat trapping and that is a ball. Much easier and it pays better. But if you set your mind to do it, you'll do it! :wink:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I would suggest trying something close to home like coons that are fairly easy to catch and you should have "some success" in the begginning to keep you going. Tackling coyotes as your first critter to foot hold trap is like taking Calculus III for you first college math class.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I'll have to give it a try. I know that bucket sets with, say, a #220 conibear, are supposed to be dog proof, but is there anything out there that's cat proof? I live in town and my neighbor is an older lady with a ton of cats that roam around. I found one trying to work some tuna out of my live trap this morning. I have caught 5 coons before in this same spot (by a creek along what used to be our garden). It's hard to find any evidence of coons down here because of all of the leaves that have fallen. I think there's a real good chance there are still some around though. Should I try setting the buckets in trees to possibly prevent a cat getting to them or would that do not a lick of good? Can't snare yet in ND until the 21st of Nov.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

1Shooter wrote:I'll have to give it a try. I know that bucket sets with, say, a #220 conibear, are supposed to be dog proof, but is there anything out there that's cat proof? I live in town and my neighbor is an older lady with a ton of cats that roam around. I found one trying to work some tuna out of my live trap this morning. I have caught 5 coons before in this same spot (by a creek along what used to be our garden). It's hard to find any evidence of coons down here because of all of the leaves that have fallen. I think there's a real good chance there are still some around though. Should I try setting the buckets in trees to possibly prevent a cat getting to them or would that do not a lick of good? Can't snare yet in ND until the 21st of Nov.
A 220 conibear in a bucket is far from dog proof!!!!!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

That's just what I've read I guess. Just another instance where the internet has proven itself unreliable.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i agree. #220 and bucket sets would trap my little buddy-(maxwell )very well. :D :twisted:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

What you read on the internet was probably fastening the bucket to a tree about 5 feet off of the ground and then baiting and setting a 220 conibear in it. That is the only way to make a bucket set dog proof.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Be very, very careful with conibears! There a great tool to catch coon, but they catch everything else too. Just keep a good head, when setting conibears!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You can certainly foothold trap coons and then any non-target you can release.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Prairie Ghost wrote:You can certainly foothold trap coons and then any non-target you can release.
So what's the smallest I'd want to go for a foothold trap for coons? I don't want to be breaking my neighbor's cat's legs :lol: :twisted: I have read how a person is supposed to rust traps, but could a guy just let them sit outside for awhile? The only reason to dye them is to inhibit rust formation and de-scent the traps, right?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Best advice I can give you is, buy a movie on coon trapping. Then you will get a better grasp on trapping. I did the same thing when I started trapping, I had a ton of questions, so I bought a video, and things made more sense.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"