First fox

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: First fox

Post by bucksnbears »

Jaybic, first off the terain you and i hunt are 100% different. you live in a beautiful part of the state :) i live in table top flat stuff :| i have hunted with LOTS of different people over the years that just can't spot fox-even if i point them out. i'm not saying that i have better eyes than them it's just that my eye's are "trained" to that speck 1/2 mile out. i can for the most part drive gravel at 40-50 mph and spot fox way out there and can tell at that speed if it's a fox or weed clump or dirt clump ect... it's a learned thing that few get a hold of. not to be a wise guy, but i'm seldom wrong. if you and i are out riding together and you say "what's that" looks like a fox, i can tell pretty much for sure if it is or not without stopping to glass and i'm very seldom wrong. sleeping fox is what i grew up on and absolutaly love spot n stalk. i would personally do that and kill 1 fox over 5 coyotes. i know coyotes are way more challenging but i really love the red fox maybe because few have mastered the spot n stalk, mainly the spot!! once spotted the stalk can be fairly easy. (way easier than a sleeping coyote). as for calling in fox, it sucks around here.used to be they would come in real easy even though i never did take it seriously. things have changed now although not sure why. even the ones i see and sneak up on that are sleeping are reluctant to come closer to lip squekes. they used to charge in.just as a side note, my brother is a pheasant hunter from n.d. and he spots WAY more pheasants than me. he's learned what to look for but when we go for coyotes or fox i see more than him.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I agree with ya bucs,

I have never hunted out your way(not really even sure where "out your way" is but dang near everywhere is west of here when your only 40 miles off the east border) but I have driven thru there and in reminds me of up near Fargo and North of Carrington, ND. FLAT. We gave some areas around here like that but Im right on the edge of where flat meets BIG timber and the bluff country and river bottoms. Darn hard to hide the truck out there I bet.

Being laid off, I have put on ridiculous miles this year driving gravel roads at all times a day and just stop, glass, drive to the next good glassing spot however far that is and have not spotted ONE bedded coyote or fox this year. The only critter I have managed to bino up is pictured on this thread. I would have sure thought I would have picked off something doing this and I normally have quite good luck out in ND just picking them off with the binos. My buddy always drives and I even glass going down the road while were moving but no joy around here.(am going to buy some sort of image stabilized binos soon!!!). I zip tie my Leupy spotting scope to an old Ruger 10/22 stock(works awesome, way steadier than a window mount. super steady...try it) and I stop and glass every black, red or wierd looking rock, bush, whatever hoping I will get lucky. I dont have the "eye" for it like you I dont think. I have to actually stop and confirm with glass. We seen 60 sum-odd coyotes in 5 days prior to the NDCC this year and probably 1/2 I picked off with the binos. Its just hard to believe I cant catch something moving around here. Now that I have killed a fox, my next goal is to get my first spot and stalk fox!

Layer bucs,

jaybic
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is a lot of truth to that BNB. If you do a lot of spot and stalk fox hunting you definetly get the eye for it. When i was younger and the fox were thicker than fleas we got real good at spotting bedded fox then it was just deciding which was the easiest stalk and go after that one. There was many times deciding between 3-5 fox which was going to be the easiest to kill. People that we brought with could not believe how we (my brothers and dad and me) could spot sleeping fox down a shelter belt or on a rock pile at those kind of distances but its just a learned thing once you have done enough of it. I think starting to get the eye for "perfectly round" and the color. A lot of the fox we spotted was on the color alone once that is burned into your mind it's a lot easier to distinquish rock fox from furry ones.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Prairie Ghost wrote:There is a lot of truth to that BNB. If you do a lot of spot and stalk fox hunting you definetly get the eye for it. When i was younger and the fox were thicker than fleas we got real good at spotting bedded fox then it was just deciding which was the easiest stalk and go after that one. There was many times deciding between 3-5 fox which was going to be the easiest to kill. People that we brought with could not believe how we (my brothers and dad and me) could spot sleeping fox down a shelter belt or on a rock pile at those kind of distances but its just a learned thing once you have done enough of it. I think starting to get the eye for "perfectly round" and the color. A lot of the fox we spotted was on the color alone once that is burned into your mind it's a lot easier to distinquish rock fox from furry ones.
that pretty much sums it up.there still are times when i have to get different angles on an object to confirm depending on how the lighting is but i have snuck up on rust colored rock,paper bags,rusty pails,ect... :? . once i took a buddy out that had never shot a fox. i seed one laying out along a drainage ditch 1/2 mile out. he wanted me to go with for support. so we get about 100 yards and we get down. he flips down his bipod,looks through the scope,looks at me and says Dave, that doesnt look like a fox???i giggle and say,yeah, it's a fox. he looks again thruogh the scope and says again he doesnt think its a fox. i say Dean, it is a fox now shoot it. so he bears down and shoots and a football sized dirt chunk explodes about 40-50 yards out. the fox jumps up and dissapears into the ditch. W.T.F. was that i said. he never did see the fox as he lost the sight picture from the recoil. he did'nt believe there really was a fox till i took him to the bed where it was laid up. he could'nt believe he could'nt see that fox from where we were laying :oops: :oops: .
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Jaybic, if your laid off next winter come on up for a few days and we'll give it a whirl. :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

BNB thats a good story right there!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Nice looking fox. We do not have many around my area. A local farmer said that he has seen 2 at his place. I have only seen one fox in the wild. I would save the hide too.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Hey Bnb,

I would love to do that!!! I can make time and that would be a blast to come up(where is up anyway...This can be PMd if you want) but yeah, that would be a blast to try some spot and stalk where there actually is something to spot and stalk. Only spot and stalk anything I have ever really got was a coyote last year but I hit him poorly and he ended up dead in a culvert and I couldnt get him out so it doesnt really count IMHO.

Anyway, heck yeah...we'll have to give that a go next winter!

Thanks fo the offer Bnb. :D

jaybic
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

sounds good. :) i'll quite shooting them now so there is seed for next year :) i live in moorhead
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Yeah bucs,

your right!!table top flat!

Anyway, that could work out pretty slick. I normally go out to western nd 2-3 times a winter and we can pick a time when I am on my way thru and that would work super slick....damn summer anyway....now I am all riled up.

I have hunted some up near Carrington but never in your area.

Anyway, I am looking forwards to it. :D

Take care and thanks again.

Jaybic