First fox

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

First fox

Post by jaybic »

Hey fellas,

Im kinda slow at the whole pic posting business but I guess I thought this was worthy of the trouble. Got my first ever fox. Never in 10 years or so of calling, ever called at fox. Missed a few spot and stalk but finally got lucky. I spotted this guy with the binos coming down a fenceline and he came right to me. I never even hit a call and shot him at about 60 yards or so. Savage 22-250 with a 50gr Vmax at 3700(note to self... do not use this rifle on fox again). He got hit pretty hard but Im still gonna tan him being my first fox and all. Just thought Id share....you know...blind pig....acorn....blah blah blah.

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: First fox

Post by bucksnbears »

nice :D i like the good white tip on the tail. whats up with fox in your area?? are there just so few around or don't you go after them much??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Beauty!Congrats! :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

A fox in the southeastern part of minnesota is like trying to find one in the heart of coyote country. There just aren't many around. They are some there, but you dont see them like you do in the western part of the state. However there is a lot of hills and cover that they can hide in and a guy just never gets a chance to catch a glimpse at them.

Jaybic congrats on the fox. If you are going to shoot them with the .22-250 you will have to reconsider a way slower load and or possibly take the expansion of the bullet into consideration :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I dont care what anyone says, its always fun shooting reds!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

LeviM wrote:I dont care what anyone says, its always fun shooting reds!
yep, i have about 2 hours left to finish a job and i may go out and see
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:
LeviM wrote:I dont care what anyone says, its always fun shooting reds!
yep, i have about 2 hours left to finish a job and i may go out and see
perfect day for it bucks!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Good lookin' fox jaybic! Sure wish I could find one like that 8)
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Good job! I just shot my first called in fox too about a week ago. The only other one I ever shot was when I was hunting deer.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

NICE.........the population shall return someday, I remember when you could park the truck and blow a call thru the mic on the CB (had a speaker in the grill) and fox would come 50 yds from the truck, shot alot with a 22 :D at 60-80 bucks each
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Very cool man congrats!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Imagewent out for a 3 hour tour and seen only 2 which really supises me for as nice as it is out. spotted this one sleeping at about 5/8 mile out snuck to 202 yards and shot him in his bed.no damage on this one but he's loaded with burdock. fur is in good shape yet
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

BNB you hell on those little bastards if they decide to lay up. God i miss that!!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Bnb,

Thats awesome. As far as me not chasing reds, I cannot believe how many stands I have called around SE MN in the last 10 years and NEVER called a red fox(literally hudreds). Ya just dont see many here. Honest to god, I hunt pretty much every single weekend and some week days(unless I am in ND) and I have seen 4 reds this year(2 different pairs, one in the daytime 10am and one during the last full moon) and that is more fox than I have seen here in my entire calling life but coyotes seem kinda scarce this year(more so than normal) so I dont know if the coyote numbers are down and thats why I am seeing the fox. I have also heard from alot of other fellas(truck hunters and section pushers)say that they been seeing lots of fox(to their credit, they dont shoot them! to few around) so it appears that the fox numbers are up. Right on!

Im just happy I finally got one! Now I hope I dont have to wait another 10 years for the next one.

I am also thinking of getting a .17 CF or a .204 to have in the truck just in case I do come across one so I dont have to use the 22-250 but it was all I had with me. I will take suggestions on this matter by the way. Bucs???? What say you?

anyway nice job again,

Jaybic
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i like the paint job on your rifle jaybic. those are good lookn reds you guys